Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 01-20-2010, 02:13 PM

Glennrf38 is on a distinguished road

You can also pick up bags of the wood chips from Canadian Tire, WalMart or any outdoor outfitter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirCrazy View Post
how big is the pulled pork your doing? everyone that does it from what I have read is looking at 12 to 15 hour smoke times..

I actualy ordered online and got a box of wild cherry, sugar maple, and a box of hickory, but I am pruning some trees in the back yard soI will also try some pear, couple types of apple, some plum and some bing cherry.

Steve
Old 01-20-2010, 02:16 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennrf38 View Post
You can also pick up bags of the wood chips from Canadian Tire, WalMart or any outdoor outfitter.
ya I didn't want chips.. I got chunks which are about 2"x2"x4" some bigger. I have chips from when I used to do the tinfoil smoke packs on the Grill.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 01-20-2010, 02:34 PM

Binare is on a distinguished road

I got a chargriller smoker pro with a sidebox, I use it atleast once a week even in the winter. I started using charcoal and smoking a couple years ago, never go back to gas was pretty excited when I got the ok to chop down our two apple trees, got enough applewood to last me atleast a year now.
Old 01-20-2010, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binare View Post
I got a chargriller smoker pro with a sidebox, I use it atleast once a week even in the winter. I started using charcoal and smoking a couple years ago, never go back to gas.
I am already planning a home made reverse flow smoker. just trying to decide if I should build it on a trailer or just a patio model. trailer would be handy for moving it around the yard, but would over double the cost of building it.

this way I will have my big one for home and my little one for camping.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Old 01-20-2010, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvlester View Post
I have a big chief smoker do up some bacon takes a little while to cure ( 7 days to do properly brown suger maple cure,) but it is worth it nothing like home smoked foods. trout and salmon are great too. I think I will be fireing up the smoker this week also thanks for reminding me. I have a large rainbow trout to do up I use maple and cherry wood mostly.

Bill
hey Bill, what is up with the stores here not having any BBQ stuff in the winter??? what kinda backwards place did I move to

ya I am going to do some bacon in this once I see what temps I can go down to. only takes about 4 to 5 hours of smoking, but anywhere from 7 to 13 days soaking in the fridge first. I also bought a grinder / stuffer as I want to make my own Keilbassa and other sausages also.

Steve

Old 01-20-2010, 03:51 PM

fishoholic will become famous soon enough

All this talk about yummy smoked meat is making me hungry!
Old 01-20-2010, 04:11 PM

Quote:
I am already planning a home made reverse flow smoker. just trying to decide if I should build it on a trailer or just a patio model. trailer would be handy for moving it around the yard, but would over double the cost of building it.

this way I will have my big one for home and my little one for camping.

Steve
Nice, I go with the reverse flows for the ability to grill and smoke, size is definately a pita. If you build it on a trailer are you thinkin of towing it? Could always build the smoker now, keeping in mind the design for a trailer someday. I toss mine in the truck (with the help of 3 others usually) for the yearly two week camping trip out to crowsnest pass on. Get some funny looks pullin up with a smoker takin up half the box. Trailer would be a lot easier for sure. Any design you using? Or right from scratch? I was thinking of diggin a pit and building one in the yard this year out of brick, wanna do it right of course though, can't find much info on doin this.
Old 01-20-2010, 04:17 PM

If anyone in or around Calgary wants to go in on a hardwood order, itd be a great way to stock up. Pretty hard to get hardwood here in small orders.
Old 01-20-2010, 04:37 PM
bvlester

Quote:
hey Bill, what is up with the stores here not having any BBQ stuff in the winter??? what kinda backwards place did I move to

ya I am going to do some bacon in this once I see what temps I can go down to. only takes about 4 to 5 hours of smoking, but anywhere from 7 to 13 days soaking in the fridge first. I also bought a grinder / stuffer as I want to make my own Keilbassa and other sausages also.

Steve
Hi Steve, If you smoke your bacon in the winter you can get extra smoke on it you can cook for about 2-3 hrs longer. TC up the hill has some BBQ stuff the one on the north shore has a limited amount also. there are some store that carry abit in the winter but the should be changing realy soon with the weather we have been having. Got go will talk latter.

Bill
Old 01-20-2010, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binare View Post
If anyone in or around Calgary wants to go in on a hardwood order, itd be a great way to stock up. Pretty hard to get hardwood here in small orders.
check these guys out

http://www.smokinlicious.ca/index.php?CW

Steve