Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Regional Forums > Alberta > Calgary

Old 02-25-2013, 11:26 PM

Pan is on a distinguished road
Default A.G.E. tank's

Just Wondering if anyone has an AGE tank in Calgary?
I would just perhaps like to see one in person.

I think I may go ahead with my order on one, but I am just a bit hesitant due to cost. I may wait and save another 6 months or so, but I might just order it now and build up equipment as i go.

I miss my reef

Old 02-25-2013, 11:31 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

what is an A.G.E tank? I don't think i've ever seen one. I tried asking google but go some weird stuff non tank related..
Old 02-25-2013, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kien View Post
what is an A.G.E tank? I don't think i've ever seen one. I tried asking google but go some weird stuff non tank related..
It's a hybrid tank, with a PVC bottom. Counter sunk holes for closed loop etc...

http://www.acrylicandglassexhibits.c...stom_Aquariums

In my Opinion one of the best you can buy, but I have only seen one and it was awhile ago, I guess i just thought seeing one in person again would make be bite the bullet and get it.

http://test.reefcentral.com/forums/s....php?t=1033086

This is what got me going on one a long time ago, but I had a 200 gallon...now that I want to get back into it, I figure do it right.

I am thinking of getting the frag tank local though...it might be THE display till I can afford all of the equipment for the AGE tank.

shipping is a bit though....without that i could buy a lot of stuff.....

incidentally here is a tank from them with almost exact dimensions I want...

Basically it would look almost the same, but I am contemplating a skinny overflow...Too many trips overseas I guess.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=839423

Last edited by Pan; 02-25-2013 at 11:40 PM.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:16 AM
Gold Member

mseepman is on a distinguished road

I won an A.G.E. tank at the last MACNA. I couldn't figure out how to get it home from Dallas and since it was only a 65, I sold it on the spot. It pretty much instantly paid for much of my trip. They are nice tanks.

290g Peninsula Display, 425g total volume. Setup Jan 2013.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mseepman View Post
I won an A.G.E. tank at the last MACNA. I couldn't figure out how to get it home from Dallas and since it was only a 65, I sold it on the spot. It pretty much instantly paid for much of my trip. They are nice tanks.

Thats my problem, without the shipping costs I could afford a lot more equipment right away, instead of doing in a half-assed sort of way until I eventually got what i wanted ... equipment wise.

I am also unsure if I want a tank that big still. I did...I Do...but I Don't..

I have yet to talk to Concept regarding a tank....they seem to be the goto people in Calgary now, I might have to check into it. for some reason I have 135 gallons or so in my head....then again ....sigh the reefing nightmare has begun and i don't even have my tank

Old 02-26-2013, 01:49 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Their tanks are certainly neat in that they've managed to bond glass to both a PVC bottom and an acrylic one piece eurobrace. However I doubt those bonds are as strong as an all glass tank. For less money you could get concepts to build a tank entirely out of starphire with a one piece euro that's starphire as well I'm guessing. Machined edges and no shipping too. I know you're planning to call them just adding my 0.02.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:01 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

You could also double up the glass bottom with larger holes in the top layer for the same countersunk effect. The top layer could also be plastic but you'd have to leave room for expansion.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
You could also double up the glass bottom with larger holes in the top layer for the same countersunk effect. The top layer could also be plastic but you'd have to leave room for expansion.
I could....I would not feel very good about doing it that way though.

There are many considerations, so far I have more cons than pros....but I will give it a bit to see.

As I am thinking of keeping to a smaller system...135 gallon is sticking in my head, I may hold off on the Hybrid tank.

I have many things floating in my head, but experience has taught me, misgivings or hesitations on on purchase are usually for a reason.

I have seen some concept tanks in build threads...I have a miracles aquarium pricelist....I know the quality of them personally...I can do a comparison I guess.

Seems everyone is happy with the concept builds.

On a side note...if anyone reads this ( I may have to put in another thread)
Does anyone know which vendors here...or others that ship utilize Quality Marine for their livestock?

I was ordering from Ontario before...can't anymore...but it is good to know whats available...and what CAN be ordered.

I have little experience with a lot of the Vendors on here as they were not around when I would have required them...and I had a good place so I stopped looking.