Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 03-28-2003, 03:07 AM

FishGeek is on a distinguished road

The best way to save money on stereo equipment is to haggle for a better price. Stereo equipment is marked up so much that most places if you ask, will automatically give you 15% off. try for 25%. Tell them you are building a sytem and that you will be back for all the other stuff and you will refer all your friends.
Also, If you get a chance, listen to the Rockford FNX separates. I have these and they sound amazing. Not very bassy (but that's what subs are for), but for the money,($250 special discount) I think best sound reproduction.
If your ultimate goal is good accurate sound, go with decent separates and just go without the booming bass untill you can afford a sub. Also, a downside to coaxial speakers is that they have a tendancy to blow easier(Due to lack of filters) if you play your music somewhat loud for an extended period of time. (like on a long trip)

Also avoid international stereo. These guys know nothing about stereo equipment and actually lie to you to make a sale.

Simon
Old 03-28-2003, 04:24 AM

CHEAPREEF is on a distinguished road

Hey Steve if you want about the bestdeal you can get let me know. I paint all the cars for the boys at JB's power cennter on the north end. I get cost plus 10% on all they sell.

Clinton
Old 03-28-2003, 04:35 AM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Hmm do they have rockford stuff? I am planning a trip to edmonton this summer

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 03-28-2003, 04:37 AM

CHEAPREEF is on a distinguished road

That's there main brand. Just let me know if you need it sooner, my brother is supossed to be up this way in the next month or so. He lives in Vancouver so i could ship whatever up with him if you like.

Clinton
Old 03-29-2003, 12:29 AM

anyone know anything about a brand called Massive? I was looking at there speakers today but I have never heard of them.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Old 03-29-2003, 02:02 AM

Quinn is on a distinguished road

i bought my system over the course of about 6 months from future shop, got myself good deals because i befriended the salesman i dealt with, eventually he was telling me to go to A&B sound, get a price check, come back, and he'd save me the cash. ended up doing fairly well i think. 2 10" mtx subs, mtx amp, infinity speakers (dunno the size), pioneer mp3 deck.

Man, n. ...His chief occupation is extermination of other animals and his own species, which, however, multiplies with such insistent rapidity as to infest the whole habitable earth, and Canada. - A. Bierce, Devil's Dictionary, 1906
Old 03-30-2003, 07:28 PM

SuperFudge is on a distinguished road

Hey Steve,

I have a 98 ford f-150 supercab,but it has 4-7x 10`s...not 6x8`s,they were originally stocked with that size aswell...
I had purchased the XLT-STX model,so im unsure if that is why they are different sizes?

Either way, i replaced all 4 of the Speakers with Clarion 3-way Speakers and added a 400w clarion Subwoofer and Amp.
The CD player is 4X50 output so it is slightly underpowering the 4 speakers,but sounds crystal clear.

Beyond this the addition of a Lightning Audio 400w amp (The Bolt) is a excellent Quality self cooling amp,and Clarion 400W Dual Tone Sub made for an overall nice sound with some nasty kick to it.

HTH with some more ideas.
Old 03-30-2003, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudge
Hey Steve,

I have a 98 ford f-150 supercab,but it has 4-7x 10`s...not 6x8`s,they were originally stocked with that size aswell....
7X10's? I have never heard of such a beast.. do you mean 5X7's? a 5X7 and a 6X8 are the same mounting size. I haven't come across a 7X10 at all or seen one in any book I have been getting.. hmmm

Steve

Old 03-30-2003, 11:01 PM

SuperFudge is on a distinguished road

Sorry Steve,

Yes 5x7`s.
Old 03-31-2003, 12:37 AM

Ok cool had me all screwed up for a sec..

ya pretty any speaker is a upgrade from the factorys. I have a JVC deck that does MP3 and it is 50Wx4 also (best thing I have done is buy a MP3 deck)

so I aqm going to go with the rockford speakers and do the amp at a later date.

Steve