Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 04-06-2011, 10:29 PM

toytech is on a distinguished road

Ever gone snorkeling ? You always end up drinking a fair amount there , wont ever stop me from climbing back in . Even if you tank is full of some kind of nasty fish disease your not a fish so don't worry.
Old 04-07-2011, 12:19 AM

Wayne is on a distinguished road

I always worried because its synthetic salt mix... Does anyone know what they do to the salt or where it comes from?
Old 04-07-2011, 12:29 AM

Edmonton newbie is on a distinguished road
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcha0s View Post
I agree with everyone else that the water is generally harmless; although harmful bacteria can on rare occasion be found in our tanks. The odds are certainally in favor of the water being safe, but not 100% of the time.

I would point out that if there was something bad in your water, spitting it out wouldn't really be much protection from anything. I can think of several analogies to illustrate that point, but I will refrain. Considering the acids in your stomach, bacteria probably has less of a chance of surviving there then it would in your mouth.

I personally start my siphons by sucking on the house, but make your own decision. Don't assume that the water in your tank is harmless just because I haven't got sick from the water in my tank.

- Brad
id just like to know how brad gets the siphons going by sucking his house? could you please post a quick video of this brad
Old 04-07-2011, 01:31 AM

Rogue951 is on a distinguished road

Don't worry about it unless u have a weak immune system and open sores in your mouth. Rinse with listerine.
If youre really worried dilute with fresh water.
might have a night of the runs but not gonna kill you. (assuming u don't dose abnormally)
Old 04-10-2011, 08:42 AM

Pinnochio5 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the replies everyone. I was just a little jumpy after reading all that stuff about those palytoxins, . Definitely not going to do it anymore when I get my Zoas. Now only to find a hand pump with a suction probe small enough to fit into my drip acclimation tube.
Old 04-10-2011, 01:22 PM

abcha0s is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmonton newbie View Post
id just like to know how brad gets the siphons going by sucking his house? could you please post a quick video of this brad
It took me a while to figure out what you were getting at. It seemed like my statement was pretty reasonable, and then i saw the typo
So yeah, good for a laugh. Ill work on putting that video together..
Old 04-11-2011, 07:21 PM

dacookster is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinnochio5 View Post
Thanks for the replies everyone. I was just a little jumpy after reading all that stuff about those palytoxins, . Definitely not going to do it anymore when I get my Zoas. Now only to find a hand pump with a suction probe small enough to fit into my drip acclimation tube.
I just posted a similar subject/question to the "cautions" sticky. Glad to hear I'm not the only one with a mouthful from time to time. Anyways, from what I've researched, the zoas need to be quite disturbed to release such toxins, like fragging etc. So, as precautions, sure, handle with gloves and eye protection, but I've never seen a LFS employee grab a zoa frag with gloves on!! Actually, one even told me I was being ridiculous after mentioning the palytoxin scenario.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:33 PM

abcha0s is on a distinguished road

Here's the response I posted in the Marine Aquarium Cautions:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacookster View Post
Anyone ever accidently got aquarium water in the mouth? My aquarium is small and difficult to syphon from so usually I start it manually. Wasn't paying attention a few times and ended up with a mouthful. Anyways, I'm still alive but was wondering if i'm the only idiot to do such a thing.
Normally I wouldn't care, but this is a thread about the risks of salt water aquariums.

PUTTING WATER FROM YOUR TANK IN YOUR MOUTH IS A VERY BAD IDEA!

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-0...ture/index.php

- Brad

PS. Don't be nieve in believing that your tank can't hurt you. You could get very very sick. We all take risks, including me, but don't think they aren't risks. Do whatever you want with your tank, but don't pretend that they are not dangerous. Even more importantly, don't tell other people that the water is harmless. Let each person make their own decisions based on knowledge and logic. People do get sick. If you get sick, let it be because you choose to ignore the facts.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:49 PM

dacookster is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcha0s View Post
Here's the response I posted in the Marine Aquarium Cautions:

PS. Don't be nieve in believing that your tank can't hurt you. You could get very very sick. We all take risks, including me, but don't think they aren't risks. Do whatever you want with your tank, but don't pretend that they are not dangerous. Even more importantly, don't tell other people that the water is harmless. Let each person make their own decisions based on knowledge and logic. People do get sick. If you get sick, let it be because you choose to ignore the facts.
Well thats exactly why I made this post, because I know there are dangers, but I would feel a lot less anxious around my tank knowing others have goofed and not become mortally ill. So, from now on I probably will do syphoning with a hand pump, and wash my hands really good, which I do anyways.