Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 12-26-2009, 12:19 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough
Default Planning a trip to Bali

Has anyone here been to Bali?

My boyfriend and I are planning a trip. We are just in the beginning of the plans. It seems like the best time to go would be June to be in the good part of the season, but also to avoid the biggest tourist crowds in July and August. Our main attraction will be beaches and water. We both plan to get our PADI Open Water dive certificate while there. We are much more interested in the coral reefs than pelagic fish and open water. As well as endless hours of snorkeling if the waters permit. We would like to stay away from touristy areas and resorts. We would prefer to go in April, but are worried about water clarity and humidity. It would be pretty cool to check out some of the coral "farms" if that's possible too.

I have a friend who's boyfriend is actually from Bali (moved here 2 years ago), and he was a tour guide there. He will be helping me plan my trip as well.

Any suggestions from anyone? I'm haunting the Lonely Planet forums now. I've been looking at books too, but will have to order something in instead of being able to view the book first. Does anyone have recommendations on books? Edit: Looking for Bali dive books, not tourist books.

Cheers and Merry Christmas!!

SPS fanatic.

Last edited by Myka; 12-26-2009 at 05:04 PM.
Old 12-26-2009, 08:53 AM

Van-rookie is on a distinguished road

Here are a couple of links which might be helpfull.....(not sure what info you are looking for)
- http://www.indonesia.travel/
- http://www.baliguide.com/index.html

If you have time, you should check Bunaken Island in North Sulawesi. Its a great place to dive. http://www.north-sulawesi.org/bunaken.html
Old 12-26-2009, 03:41 PM

lorenz0 is on a distinguished road

sounds like fun. But with your padi do everything here except your open water. Gives your more time to dive
Old 12-26-2009, 03:49 PM

Zoaelite is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenz0 View Post
sounds like fun. But with your padi do everything here except your open water. Gives your more time to dive
Was just going to post that, if you can do the open water in Canada I would suggest that also. You will find better prices here plus diving in 1 degree water is so... EXTREMELY REFRESHING (And appendage shrinking). Make sure when the two of you go that you snap as many underwater photos as possible for us.
Levi
Old 12-26-2009, 03:56 PM

lorenz0 is on a distinguished road

i would rather wait till i get there than to do a dive here. I have only heard horror stories of how cold it is. Thats what i am doing this year, and i have over 20 dives completed including a 120 foot wall dive without my padi LOL

But your open water will only be a 30-40 foot dive which is super easy. just regulate your breathing so that your using less air as well
Old 12-26-2009, 04:38 PM

Cold water diving isn't to bad, it's actually a nice change in pace. Head down to Waterton National Park if you want to try it out, there is an amazing wreck there and the waterfall has some sweet currents that throw you around.

Back on topic, Myka do you guys plan on flying there direct or are you planning on a few stops?
Levi
Old 12-26-2009, 05:03 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the links Van-rookie!! I have heard North Sulawesi come up many times as a must see for diving.

Well, I have looked into PADI both here and in Bali. It seems like there are several reliable places to go in Bali, and the certification is only about $300, where here it is about $1200. we plan to be in Bali for a month, so taking the 4 days of certification shouldn't be an issue.

SPS fanatic.

Old 12-26-2009, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
Thanks for the links Van-rookie!! I have heard North Sulawesi come up many times as a must see for diving.

Well, I have looked into PADI both here and in Bali. It seems like there are several reliable places to go in Bali, and the certification is only about $300, where here it is about $1200. we plan to be in Bali for a month, so taking the 4 days of certification shouldn't be an issue.
$1200!!! Who on earth quoted you that?
Old 12-26-2009, 06:22 PM

PoonTang is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoaElite View Post
$1200!!! Who on earth quoted you that?
Ya really!!! I was just quoted $350 for everything. Classes/equiptment/ texts/ 5 openwater dives.
Old 12-27-2009, 01:27 AM

Johnny Reefer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Johnny Reefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoonTang View Post
Ya really!!! I was just quoted $350 for everything. Classes/equiptment/ texts/ 5 openwater dives.
Ya really x2. But at the other extreme...where did you get the $350 quote? I was looking at $500 here in Vic.

Cheers,