Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 03-18-2008, 05:45 PM

Seriak is on a distinguished road
Default Anenome

Well here goes; hopefully someone can offer some insight.

I have had an aiptasia problem for quite a few years that I have never been able to control. I did the Kalk, shrimp, CBB and nothing worked that well so finally I gave up and bought a Racoon Butterfly. Now I know that some can be very detrimental to a reef, but I couldnt ake the aiptasia anymore.

Within 1-2 weeks every aiptasia was gone. I was in Heaven but then that is when my first ever toadstool started to shed. I am not sure if the Racoon had anything to do with that. Either way my Large BTA's started to close up as well.

The other day I noticed that my one BTA had closed up pretty much completely and was lying on the bottom of the tank not attached with the Racoon picking at it. I was very sad. I put the BTA and a separtate container in the tank that the Racoon couldnt get at to make sure it was dead before I disposed of it. To my amazement the BTA started to open again.

Now my question to you is, What now? Do I try to put the BTA back in the aquarium or is the Racoon the reason it was dying in the first place. I initially thought it was the Toadstool but now I am not so sure. Maybe it's a combination.

I would love to try and get the Racoon out and return him to the store since his job is done but that seems really tricky without removing all my rock first.

Someone must have some idea on my next move.

Thanks in advance.

Oh and my other anenome has come back out and is doing fine. But it also has two clowns hosting in it which may be keeping the raccon at bay.
Old 03-18-2008, 05:52 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Without experience with racoons myself, my guess would be that your guess is pretty bang on. Butterfly's (at least some species) are supposedly potential predators of anemones. The anemone with the clown pair is apparently being protected or the butterfly just knows not to try that one because of the clowns being there.

The leather, I have no idea. It could be the butterfly.

The real proof in the pudding would be getting the racoon out of there and seeing how things do after that. Maybe the thing to do is try a fish trap before tearing apart your rockwork though.
Old 03-18-2008, 07:11 PM

Thanks Tony,

Do you know where I can find a fish trap I can even bait it with some aiptasia from my sump.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:27 PM

ElGuappo is on a distinguished road

My toadstool sheds all the time if you want to see it look at my pics. every week or so.
72 Gallon Bowfront Reef.. Hardware:2x250w Luminex Elite HQI Reflectors (Phoenix Hexarc Bulbs), Galaxy 2x250w Electronic ballast, Euroreef 130 Skimmer, Sedra KSP 7000 Retern... Live Stock: Pair of Hawaiian Flame Wrasse, Leopard Wrasse, Pink Streaked Wrasse, Pair True Percula Clowns, Potters Angel, African Flameback Angel, Orange Fin Tomini Tang, Yellow Assessor, Tailspot Blenny, Purple Firefish..

45 G FW Asain Barb Community tank.

Old 03-18-2008, 09:31 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

No, afraid not, sorry. Check with the stores or see if you can mail-order something maybe? I know jasond on here has been looking for one lately but don't know if he found any at any of the local stores.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seriak View Post
Thanks Tony,

Do you know where I can find a fish trap I can even bait it with some aiptasia from my sump.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:35 PM

cant you make your own trap? i have no idea what one actully looks like but i have seen a minnow trap and this would be super easy to make.

just a tube with two funnels at either end facing inward. the one i saw was made of screen. would have to be pretty big for this fish thou.
72 Gallon Bowfront Reef.. Hardware:2x250w Luminex Elite HQI Reflectors (Phoenix Hexarc Bulbs), Galaxy 2x250w Electronic ballast, Euroreef 130 Skimmer, Sedra KSP 7000 Retern... Live Stock: Pair of Hawaiian Flame Wrasse, Leopard Wrasse, Pink Streaked Wrasse, Pair True Percula Clowns, Potters Angel, African Flameback Angel, Orange Fin Tomini Tang, Yellow Assessor, Tailspot Blenny, Purple Firefish..

Old 03-18-2008, 09:42 PM

I did some searching and I am going to try the 2 litre pop bottle trap baited with a rock full of aiptasia. Hopefully they dont migrate out.
Old 03-18-2008, 10:26 PM

24storm is on a distinguished road

Where did you get it from? Has anyone else used one of these for ridding aptaisa?
Old 03-18-2008, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24storm View Post
Where did you get it from? Has anyone else used one of these for ridding aptaisa?
aptaisia is the BAIT he is trying to catch a butterfly of somesort i believe.

Old 03-18-2008, 10:41 PM

24storm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElGuappo View Post
aptaisia is the BAIT he is trying to catch a butterfly of somesort i believe.
I know that i am asking about the fish.