Did you wash that sand before adding?
Seems maybe its very fine
Old 02-09-2014, 02:27 AM

Wretch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillegom View Post
Did you wash that sand before adding?
Seems maybe its very fine
I didn't wash it cause it was live sand. Fiji Pink.
Old 02-09-2014, 02:59 AM

michika is on a distinguished road

I'm liking where this is going.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:11 PM

Well with the cycle well under way and the bio-spira added I thought I would run all the tests to see were I was.

Yesterday ammonia was NH3 0.4 and NH4 5.
Today after bio-spira it was NH3 0.0 and NH4 0.12.(well somewhere between .10 and .15)
Calcium - 360
Magnesium - 1200
Alk - 7
Nitrites - 1
Nitrates - 6

Using instant ocean salt.

Here is a picture of what the tank looks like now.

Old 02-11-2014, 05:44 AM

Well after testing my tank for the last few days I have come to the conclusion that I don't like seachem test kits. Much Prefer the salifert test kits. Not sure either test kit is overly repeatable though.

I also have come to the conclusion that an ATO is a necessity not a optional piece of equipment. Makes me wish mine actually worked.

It seems like my ammonia is almost all gone now just waiting on nitrites to go away and nitrates to lower.

Started dosing microbacter7 as well today.
Old 02-15-2014, 10:55 PM

Well its been 8 days since I started my cycle and it seems as if I am done. I started off by bumping ammonia to 5ppm by adding pure ammonia. Then I added a bottle of bio-spira and then 48 hours after that I started adding microbacter7 daily as per directions. Now my readings are as follows.

Ammonia - 0
Nitrites - 0
Nitrates - 1

It seems in my rush to get my display tank setup I managed to skip the part of quarantine tank. So I just rushed and put one together.

10g tank
Glass top(no jumpers getting out)
100w heater
Marineland penguin 100(kinda noisy for a little power filter) filled with sponge
sponge filter and air pump
small powerhead
thermometer
Will add some pvc elbows when I find them

Have added ammonia to 5ppm to get cycle started.
Temperature set to 78. stable at 77.9
Salinity at 1.026
Added a bottle of bio-spira.

Anyone think another sponge filter would be good for a permanent QT tank? or enough bio filtration as is for a 10g tank?
Old 02-22-2014, 05:12 AM

Time for a little update.

Display tank is completely cycled and I have added a small cleanup crew. I have the light on full time for the first time and once again I am not happy. The light is supposed to have 3 channels but it seems like all the lights come on all the time no matter how set. The lights do appear to ramp up and down but I can't split the colours and the moonlights don't come on. Also seem to get a crazy disco effect because of the water movement. This seems to be turning out to have been a live and learn purchase. I guess I will run it till it dies as I am not sending it back to china.

The quarantine tank is just about done its cycle as well. Ammonia and nitrite are at 0 just waiting for nitrate to come down from 2ppm. In the process of deciding on what fish will be first. I have a terrible case of indecision.

As for my broken Smart ATO I am now dealing with the manufacture. I was sent a new power supply but that didn't do anything so I am waiting to see where this goes.

I am now in the market for my first corals. Zoas, palys and some LPS are on the menu. I will be going to look at some coral tomorrow and hopefully get some frags. Will I be all fragged out before the frag swap?
Old 02-23-2014, 08:09 AM

Well I got my first corals today. I would like to thank member Ryanerickson for allowing me come by and see his tank and for giving me a great deal on some frags. He also hooked me up with some coral rx as well, so thanks to him again.

Temperature acclimating frags

Frags in Tank(Sunny Ds, Magicians, Green Paly, Hammer)

The nice blue/purple light is from of a piece of junk twilight 120w led fixture. It seems while I was out getting my first frags the damn white channel blew out. So now I am down 2 channels(whites and moonlights). Not a very happy camper right now. Hoping I can mess with it tomorrow but its not looking good. Going to get some pictures when everything opens back up but the damn light makes it hard to get good ones.
Old 03-06-2014, 01:21 AM

Well my 2 wp10s arrived last week from Nick at Reef Supply Canada. I was kinda surprised at the size, as they were so small. I am replacing 2 hydor koralia evolution 750s. I am currently running them on else mode at full speed. Below is a size comparison of the two powerheads.

I finally got my ATO situation wrapped up. Ray from GoReef was a great help. I am currently awaiting the arrival of a new control unit from Coralvue. It just cleared customs so it should be here soon.

Here is a Pic of my two clowns I got from Timbits at the frag swap. One is a regular Ocellaris Clown and one is an Extreme Misbar Ocellaris Clown. Currently in my quarantine tank.

This is a picture of my tank right now. Slowly filling in.

Old 03-06-2014, 07:57 AM

Timbits is on a distinguished road

Lookin good Joe!! following along