Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 05-23-2015, 09:57 PM

Slick Fork is on a distinguished road
Default BBQ's

Hey,

So I'm realising that my cheap barbeque I got a few years ago has now reached the point where the internal components are so rusted out that I'm starting to worry it's a safety hazard and I'm starting to think about replacing it. I've briefly considered ripping out the rotten parts but they're all rotten and I'd spend as much rebuilding it as I would just buying a new one..

To be honest I'm REALLY disappointed in this one, it was only about $250 when we got it but it didn't even last 4 years and we babied it. Our first grill lasted over 9 years and was still going strong but we wanted a bigger one and it wasn't really expensive either.

Anyways, I've been doing some reading on new grills and it seems that anything not made in China with really crummy steel is going to be pretty spendy. So my big question is, is a really well built bbq like a sabre worth it in terms of longevity and performance, or would I be better off to simply suck up the fact that I'm going to need to replace my grill every few years as they fall apart.

We bbq everything through the summer and most of the fall and milder winter days so I'm not worried that we wouldn't use it. Looking forward to hearing everyone's experiences!
Old 05-23-2015, 10:58 PM

mark is on a distinguished road

NG Weber, had about 9 years, still working great, haven't noticed anything rusting or warping.

Might be pushing to say we use once a week but definitely use at least 2 weeks, all seasons. I'd say worth the cost.
Old 05-24-2015, 12:04 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

Broil King here
Had it for probably 15 years already. Replaced the burners and the wire support rack for the bricks once each.
Think it was $450

http://www.broilkingbbq.com/warranty..._king_warranty
Old 05-24-2015, 12:23 AM

Roskoreef is on a distinguished road

Ive been a chef for most of my life, and a butcher the rest... Weber for certain, quality construction and will last forever. If you bbq alot its worth it! You will find that a better bbq is like a better oven... They just cook more evenly and more predictably.
Old 05-24-2015, 01:25 AM
On Hiatus

2 votes for Weber so far
Anything wrong with Broil King ? I love mine ...
Old 05-24-2015, 01:31 AM

Ryanerickson is on a distinguished road

I'm rocking the webber love it 3 years old works like new. It's been outside with no cover the whole 3 years I use 3-4 times a week.
Old 05-24-2015, 01:41 AM

My soon to be ex barbeque was/is a broil mate. From what I'm reading and have experienced, the quality of the steel used in manufacturing is a big deciding factor.

Apparently the really good steel you can tell by doing a magnet test. If a magnet sticks keep looking, if it doesn't stick it's going to last.
Old 05-24-2015, 01:46 AM
On Hiatus

Hmm
That's something I haven't heard
My unit is cast iron, so I'm sure it's magnetic. Yet it has a 25 year warranty on the bucket
Old 05-24-2015, 01:50 AM

And no rust issues? The inside of mine is just gross with rust. The burner channels and the plates are pretty much disintegrated.
Old 05-24-2015, 02:07 AM
On Hiatus

Mine ? No rust anywhere in or on the tub, so I'll keep using it.
The racks which hold the ceramics need replacing this year. They are totally rotted away, but they are original. Not bad for 15 years.
I still have the original iron grates/griddles and they are just fine.
I use olive oil before every use (once hot) so the grates will last forever.

I only get a few years out of the striker, but am thinking I won't replace it this year as I use one of those el-cheapo lighters from the dollar store. And no more WOOF when I use the lighter.
My bucket is still solid as a rock. I only clean it every year or two. Putty knife and a shopvac to remove all the encrusted grease.
Maybe it's lasted this long because I don't clean all the grease/oil out.
I learned long ago to NOT clean a BBQ too much. The leftovers protect the internals. Just keep it clear of stuff that can cause fires/flare-ups and you're good to go.

My dad mis-understood me years ago.
I told him to never clean his unit before winter. This protects it from rotting.
So he never cleaned it - ever. His unit had a stainless deflector over the burners. It caught fire one summer. The deflector melted and adhered to the burners