Send a message via ICQ to Skimmerking Send a message via MSN to Skimmerking

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastlight View Post
It's not the drinks it *is* wrong. That's just how the king rolls

ya baby me's the king
Old 02-09-2013, 02:53 PM

Reef Pilot is on a distinguished road
Default What make is this skimmer?

OK, here is a good test for you. Been trying to find out the brand or origin for this skimmer for some time, but no luck. It is a dual beckett and works pretty good. Has a gate valve on the exit, so easy to control the level. I have a mag 18 driving it. Produces as much skimmate or more than my Vertex In-280 which I use on my other tank. Only downside is the beckett one takes a lot more power. Advantage is that the neck and cup needs less cleaning with all the air and bubbles that go through there. But the gunk that ends up in my collection bottle is as stinky and thick as ever.

It is an old one, though, and can't find any clue to what brand it is.
Old 02-09-2013, 03:02 PM
acanthastrea freak

Skimmerking is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldy View Post
So seeing as he is kind of a celebrity around here

Baldy I'm far from a important dude around here. I will leave that for the moderators to fight over about . All I wanted to do was give my honest thoughts on about these skimmers that I have owned. There is nothing worst when people will say oh that skimmer is amazing or I hear that skimmer is awesome. IMHO if you haven't tried it then don't post about it. I love to help out people that is my satisfaction in life to be honest maybe that is why me and grizz get along so much. Another great person who will bend over backwards to help some one out. Lord knows that he has helped me out on many occasions more then I can count.....

So thanks for the kind word Baldy. So again that I could not help out on your questions that u had asked in a previous post.
Old 02-09-2013, 03:19 PM
acanthastrea freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef Pilot View Post
OK, here is a good test for you. Been trying to find out the brand or origin for this skimmer for some time, but no luck. It is a dual beckett and works pretty good. Has a gate valve on the exit, so easy to control the level. I have a mag 18 driving it. Produces as much skimmate or more than my Vertex In-280 which I use on my other tank. Only downside is the beckett one takes a lot more power. Advantage is that the neck and cup needs less cleaning with all the air and bubbles that go through there. But the gunk that ends up in my collection bottle is as stinky and thick as ever.

It is an old one, though, and can't find any clue to what brand it is.
Ok well lets take a look at it for a sec.

Looking at the top of the collection cup this type looks like a Barr Aquatics earlier edition.
The Mag 18 is a good pump but does give some head problems. Mag pumps don't like the back pressure from what I have seen had owned. However they do a good job.
the thing about becketts is its a hungry house meaning that you need lots of power to run those skimmers to get them to fire out the skimmate. Becketts love MAK 4,5's Iwaki's pumps so pressure pumps where the power is great and the push is awesome. Hope you understand what I just stated.

and comparing this to a vertex 280 you can't the vertex 280 is a POS, POC skimmer compared to any beckett. you have raw power coming from the mag 18 and its pushing all that water through 4 x 1/8" holes for each beckett holder. and the Vertex 280 is just using a simple water level to suck water through a venturi impeller and pushing it up.

I hpe this answers your question that you posted.

BARR Aquatics or a earlier MRC but if it doesn't have the MRC then I would go with a BArr Aquatics.
Old 02-09-2013, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skimmer King View Post
Ok well lets take a look at it for a sec.

Looking at the top of the collection cup this type looks like a Barr Aquatics earlier edition.
The Mag 18 is a good pump but does give some head problems. Mag pumps don't like the back pressure from what I have seen had owned. However they do a good job.
the thing about becketts is its a hungry house meaning that you need lots of power to run those skimmers to get them to fire out the skimmate. Becketts love MAK 4,5's Iwaki's pumps so pressure pumps where the power is great and the push is awesome. Hope you understand what I just stated.

and comparing this to a vertex 280 you can't the vertex 280 is a POS, POC skimmer compared to any beckett. you have raw power coming from the mag 18 and its pushing all that water through 4 x 1/8" holes for each beckett holder. and the Vertex 280 is just using a simple water level to suck water through a venturi impeller and pushing it up.

I hpe this answers your question that you posted.

BARR Aquatics or a earlier MRC but if it doesn't have the MRC then I would go with a BArr Aquatics.
OK, thanks. Never heard of a Barr Aquatics and can't get through to their website now. But will keep searching the web for pics. The closest I could ever find is MRC, as you say, but again no exact match pics on the web. Was always curious to know what the tank capacity rating was.

I used the Mag 18, just because I had it as spare, and seems to do the job.

Tend to agree with you about the In-280. Hard to get dialed in exactly and very picky on the water level. Doesn't take much to get it overflowing. And have to clean the neck and cup every 3 or 4 days (about once a month for the beckett). But at least that is very easy on the Vertex, with just lifting off the cup part, with nothing to unscrew.
Old 02-09-2013, 05:25 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

I can confirm that's a Barr Aquatics skimmer( or a copy of his), one of his early designs. I've bought parts off him before, top quality work.
Old 02-09-2013, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
I can confirm that's a Barr Aquatics skimmer( or a copy of his), one of his early designs. I've bought parts off him before, top quality work.
OK, thanks. Barr Aquatics is definitely a new lead for me. Will keep searching the web for pics.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:01 PM

The Grizz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skimmer King View Post
I love to help out people that is my satisfaction in life to be honest maybe that is why me and grizz get along so much. Another great person who will bend over backwards to help some one out. Lord knows that he has helped me out on many occasions more then I can count.....
My question for Skimmer King is ..........................."What you talking about Willis?"

From what I remember not that long ago I am an A hole or do you need me to repost that thread to remind you.

8' - 165gal Reef
DIY LED's Build
2012 Nano Contest Winner
Febuary 2013 POTM Winner
300 gal + 60 gal Complete DIY Build
Old 02-09-2013, 06:18 PM
acanthastrea freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grizz View Post
My question for Skimmer King is ..........................."What you talking about Willis?"

From what I remember not that long ago I am an A hole or do you need me to repost that thread to remind you.
Well opinion vary greg and in my books uou are a top notch friend and a reefer. But like we have said in the past to each other if people dont like us that is their problem. I dont change because someone dont like me. That is their problem