Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 11-08-2009, 04:20 AM

new but handy is on a distinguished road

evening
I will draw up a picture tommorow to show you what a header is, how to support everything and everything you need to know if you would like.
you don't need any 3/4" plywood. if the opening is to be about 6' I would use a 3 ply 2x10 header. 2 ply is probably enough but I don't know what is above.
I have been a builder for 16 years. I actually just built the new retirement home in Naniamo right above the firehouse bar. (good sushi)
Old 11-08-2009, 04:36 AM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

Hey, thanks. I had my husband explain some of it tonight. He said that he was going to go with 3 2x6s which had a certain width and because the 3 2x10s had a different width when put together that for some reason both sets of 3 had to be the same width?

I think he knows what he's doing, its just me that doesn't

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 11-08-2009, 04:44 AM

hillegom is on a distinguished road

I am not an engineer, but I think 2- 2x10s will hold more weight than 3- 2x6s
Its the depth of beams that hold more weight. I am sure someone here will enlighten.
Old 11-08-2009, 02:33 PM
Staff

um ok, so it was explained to me like this. Currently there are 2x6's running vertically (ie. holding up the floor). To beef up support on either side of "the hole" my hubby is going to put 3-2x6's. Then for the actual header part (or what I think of as the header, which is the horizontal part) he is going to use 3-2x10s).

Does that make more sense? You guys are probably better off waiting for the photos to see what I mean, I'm sure my crappy explanations are just creating more questions rather than answers

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 11-08-2009, 02:47 PM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

Makes perfect sense to me(Im a carpenter).....gonna be sweet when its done looking forward to this build....is this the tank the euro-reef is for, or are you already using it?
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694
Old 11-08-2009, 02:50 PM

Lance is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by christyf5 View Post
um ok, so it was explained to me like this. Currently there are 2x6's running vertically (ie. holding up the floor). To beef up support on either side of "the hole" my hubby is going to put 3-2x6's. Then for the actual header part (or what I think of as the header, which is the horizontal part) he is going to use 3-2x10s).

Does that make more sense? You guys are probably better off waiting for the photos to see what I mean, I'm sure my crappy explanations are just creating more questions rather than answers

It makes perfect sense. The wall has 2x6 studs and the new header will be 3x2x10's.
Old 11-08-2009, 04:00 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

I'm lost. The tank's a wood build now? 2x6 panels with starphire 2x4 viewing panes?
Old 11-08-2009, 07:00 PM
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastlight View Post
I'm lost. The tank's a wood build now? 2x6 panels with starphire 2x4 viewing panes?
of course, sheesh that was what I was trying to say all along! wasn't I clear enough

My 180 Build

Old 11-08-2009, 07:01 PM
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishytime View Post
Makes perfect sense to me(Im a carpenter).....gonna be sweet when its done looking forward to this build....is this the tank the euro-reef is for, or are you already using it?

yeah for the new tank, I'd be using it already but it wouldn't fit in my sump cabinet. No sump cabinet on the new tank so we're golden!

My 180 Build

Old 11-08-2009, 08:51 PM

cprowler is on a distinguished road

What euro-reef do you have?