Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum

Old 02-24-2011, 01:37 AM

Lance is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmodeus View Post
Lance that is why i have a Mag drive I have nothing bad to say about them.

The Danners are pretty good Mike, I own three of them myself. Buuuuut, I don't like how warm they run and you have to remove all those screws to clean the bloody thing. Personally, I'd rather pay the extra money and get an Eheim.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:50 AM
acanthastrea freak

Skimmerking is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Skimmerking Send a message via MSN to Skimmerking

ahhhhhhhhhh ya but Lance is the screws really all that hard to take out and they don't rust either. the extra heat is great for heating the tank
Old 02-24-2011, 02:09 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

I've used MAG12s and 18s for years as return pumps, they always restart and I don't really ever clean them, maybe every few years or so. My pumps on my skimmer also restart every time. Only issue I ever had was running a mesh modded impeller, that would stick sometimes.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:47 AM

PoonTang is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
Think it's the magnet swelling maybe??

What's worrying me these days, pump related that is, is my Dart return pump is making weird noises that I swear it didn't make before. Is this normal or should I be taking it apart? It's subtle sorts of things but it's on the list of things I worry about..
What kind of a noise is it? they are known for the little plastic slinger washer on the shaft between the pump and motor walking down the shaft and rubbing.
Lance, i have my evos on a wave program and dont have any troubles with them at all. Perhaps you could call hydor and see if there is an upgrade.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:56 AM

Ken is on a distinguished road
Talking

Hey Lance, my reef originally have a IwAKI 100RLT, recently the tank had a microbubble issue, a major microbubble issue, the tank was set up back in 2000, 11 years later and the Iwaki is still running and never taken apart for maintenance, ever. So because of the microbubble issue, I thought after 11 years I should take the pump apart and clean it. After removing and cleaning it, it didn't look too bad so back it went back in.It didn't fix the micro bubble issue, turns out it was the ball valve on the suction side. I read somewhere from a manufacture that these Iwaki should only last for 3-4 years in a reef. Iwaki are great pumps, in my experience I never had one that shut down. Regards Ken
Old 02-24-2011, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken View Post
Hey Lance, my reef originally have a IwAKI 100RLT, recently the tank had a microbubble issue, a major microbubble issue, the tank was set up back in 2000, 11 years later and the Iwaki is still running and never taken apart for maintenance, ever. So because of the microbubble issue, I thought after 11 years I should take the pump apart and clean it. After removing and cleaning it, it didn't look too bad so back it went back in.It didn't fix the micro bubble issue, turns out it was the ball valve on the suction side. I read somewhere from a manufacture that these Iwaki should only last for 3-4 years in a reef. Iwaki are great pumps, in my experience I never had one that shut down. Regards Ken
I agree with you Ken. I love my Iwaki. There's a reason they're pricier than some of the others.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:16 AM

Ian is on a distinguished road

My experience WORST EVER are quiet ones...never restart for me will never own another one...my ehiems are good as long as I give them a quick clean every 3-4 months.

Last edited by Ian; 02-24-2011 at 11:13 PM.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
My experience WORST EVER are quiet ones...never restart for me will never own another one...my ehiems are goos as long as I give them a quick clean every 3-4 months.

I don't like "Quiet Ones" either. And who named them: Noisiest pump on the market.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:55 PM

H2o2 is on a distinguished road
Default skimmer pump

I think that Paul at oceanic corals sells swc askoll skimmer pumps that are the same body of the red dragon and a way better price.
Old 02-25-2011, 12:17 AM

es355lucille is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to es355lucille

My sediment exactly.....I thought it was going to be a dream....could not stand the sound.....I use it for mixing salt/water in a drum, it doesn't bother me there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance View Post
I don't like "Quiet Ones" either. And who named them: Noisiest pump on the market.

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=51996

Photobucket