Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Pictures

Old 06-18-2008, 06:04 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Day 6 update. Still not really a strong feeding response as yet, but has eaten small pieces of cut prawn when it was gently placed right on the mouth. Did notice the tentacles seem to be getting sticky, seems to be expanding a little more, although the mouth is not as tightly closed in today's pictures as it was on Saturday.

End-to-end diameter seems to be sitting at 8" but given that it's sort of potato-chipping itself in shape, I think if you took a measuring tape and followed along the contours it would measure closer to 12".

Old 06-18-2008, 02:37 PM

michika is on a distinguished road

Nice video! I love the way it moves.
Old 06-18-2008, 02:57 PM

Der_Iron_Chef is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Der_Iron_Chef

Ditto. Nice flow, Tony....looks much more wavy-random than mine. Hmmm. Maybe I should stick one of my Koralia 3's in the tank (*sigh*...goodbye minimalist approach?....)

10G Nano * 10G Sump * Deltec MCE 600 Skimmer * JBL Viper 150w MH * Zeovit * Vortech MP40W

Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. ~S. Ertz

Old 06-18-2008, 03:08 PM

digital-audiophile is on a distinguished road

Tony,

Is this in the cube with your ritteri?

90G : Light - Tek 6xT5 | Skim - EuroReef RS135 | Flow - 2xVortech MP40W | Control - Reef Keeper 2
Old 06-18-2008, 04:05 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about

It is - it's just underneath the ritteri. I realize it doesn't belong in there long term but it was the only spot it would fit for now.

I tried a second video last night where I started off zoomed in on the carpet and then pulled back to reveal the ritteri above - thought it would be a neat effect, but 2 things kept me from posting it. 1) I had filmed it vertically, I thought it would be easy to rotate the frame 90 degrees (just like you could with a photo) but I couldn't figure out how to do that, and 2) when I pulled back enough to show the ritteri the exposure jumps off the scale. I might have had it on auto-exposure-lock. It looks like the sun is going supernovae. So I'll try again maybe tonight and see if I can do a better job this time.

The flow patterning where you see a displacement wave is caused by a maxijet with upgrade kit running off my wavemaker (a really long extension cord from one tank to the other). There are also two other MJ-upgrades but they are on full time. I found that placing them on a wavemaker is hard on the attachment bracket because they vibrate ever so slightly on startup. Eventually the little swing arm snaps off because of this. So I had an unused upgrade kit but no mounting bracket (because it had broken), so I used the standard suction cup mount for a Maxijet and just stuck the whole thing to the glass. So the fan shape flow output is more of a half-fan that follows along the glass. It's not really an ideal setup (this won't hold forever) but I do really like the flow effect I get from it.
Old 06-21-2008, 12:22 PM

rusty is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to rusty

That thing looks pretty sweet Tony!
Old 07-21-2008, 05:51 AM

Guess this is about week 5 for the blue. I've formally hit the panic button tonight and by that I mean I've removed it from my 110g cube and placed it into my 40g shallow tank, which is probably what I should have done in the first place, just didn't want to rearrange things in there to make it fit.

The problem is it doesn't eat. Week after week of .. just .. just doesn't eat, just doesn't eat, just doesn't eat, doesn't eat, doesn't eat. It's losing stickiness and even placing small chunks of prawn in the mouth it fails to swallow.

The main concern I had about it being in the larger cube is that the theivous pests of a peppermint shrimp and a cleaner shrimp do anything in their power to defeat any attempt to feed it. I've had it with them, I hate them, really anything with claws are not to be trusted. The cleaner shrimp was supposed to be something I was going to babysit for only 6 weeks, that was two years ago. I don't think the guy is ever coming back to get his shrimp. And the peppermint I only had because I hoped they would eat aiptasia, I started off with 5 and this is the big meanie who seemed to outlast the other 4. Of course they never touched aiptasia, just like the other 20 times I've tried peppermints for this purpose, they've just been a big disappointment. These shrimp are done in my book. I've laid a trap for them and once caught they are going out. If I catch them I will be putting them on the livestock for sale forum ... freebies. Frankly I don't care if someone uses them to feed their eels ... stupid things have crossed the line for the last time.

Anyhow, I'm still concerned that the lack of a feeding response of *any* kind will eventually spell out that this carpet is doomed, but at least in my 40g there is nothing to steal the food. Only things capable of it are the clownfish and they are the stupidest fish in the universe, so they shouldn't pose a serious threat on that front.

The purple tries to eat just fine, except of course that it can't because the food gets stolen every time. Yep .. I can't wait to get those stupid shrimp out of there.
Old 07-21-2008, 11:55 AM
acanthastrea freak

Skimmerking is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Skimmerking Send a message via MSN to Skimmerking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
It is - it's just underneath the ritteri. I realize it doesn't belong in there long term but it was the only spot it would fit for now.

Well I guess it is time to get the 280 gal going Tony. what the heck are you waiting for man. are ya YELLA or what. don't make me come up to CAlgary to help you set this up on my leave after AFghanistan...........

I mean it man....

p.s I love the color of it i may have to get some thing like that for my tank.
Old 07-21-2008, 04:51 PM

It is time and I try to work on it as I can. It's hard, I don't have your energy level.

Peppermint got himself stuck in the trap, haha, that didn't take very long at all. He had a pretty dour expression of sulking this morning (who knew that shrimp could be so expressive ) He is now sumped, and the trap reset for now the cleaner shrimp...
Old 07-22-2008, 01:20 AM

andestang is on a distinguished road

Very nice looking Tony. I'm a little worried of the gaping mouth, had a RBTA have that happen and never recovered. Also had the same problem with little basterd shrimps, when your trying to nurse feed something they do take advantage I now have had a RBTA for 9 months and never really target feed it because of where it decided to settle in and seems to be thriving and growing - go figure Keep us posted.

150g reef, 55g sump, T5's, Vertech 200A, Profilux III - German made is highly over rated, should just say Gerpan made.

Reefkeeper - individual obsessed with placing disturbing amounts of electricity and seawater in close proximity for the purpose of maintaining live coral reef organisms.