Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 12-06-2007, 12:31 AM

rusty is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to rusty

I feel your pain buddy!!! I had a dozen beautiful bali acro frags ready for sale I was going to post pics and sell them but then they died. All my othe sps are fine though. Including the mother colony!! Just the frags died, three months after I mounted them on plugs and up to that point the were growing awesome.
Old 12-06-2007, 12:37 AM

Snappy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Rider View Post
Red bugs are specific to acros. They do not go after any other types of corals.
Actually I once had them and they were all over a Montipora danae as well. They do however just feed on sps.
Sorry to hear about this Murray, but I doesn't sound like red bugs to me. My guess is nitrate/phosphate issues, temp swings, alk too low and then spiked or perhaps not enough flow. Not enough lighting can cause problems but will mostly brown them out as the corals tend to increase their hosting zooxanthellae count to compensate for the lack of carbohydrate production due to lower light levels. Lighting issues don't happen over night. Was it RTN? (rapid tissue necrosis) What did the corals look like? Is there a loss of tissue leaving just the bare skeleton? Pictures would be helpful for a diagnosis.

Greg
Old 12-06-2007, 12:52 AM

Murminator is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Murminator

No red bugs skeletons now reside in my sump 2X250 14 hamiltons that are a year old I have new bulbs I just need some alcohol to clean the reflectors 1st.....I find it better to do when I'm drunk , and the carbon changed out 3 or so weeks ago, should I maybe try chem pure?

I'll try to get pics but i'm crappy at it and a crappy kodak camera maybe the fat guy has a new one for me for x-mas

I reserve the right to hijack any thread I want to!!

My carbon footprint is bigger than your carbon footprint !!!!
Old 12-06-2007, 12:56 AM

wickedfrags is on a distinguished road

How are you controlling your temperature? With 2 - 250W halides on your tank, the cold season, and unreliable and innacurate heaters temp. swings can cause stress.
Old 12-06-2007, 01:11 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Although I recommend really trying hard to avoid temp swings, my tank went from79F to 89F everyday for an entire summer and I only lost one species of acro. Everything else did really well. If all else is ok, I don't think temp swings alone would do it, based on my experience.
Old 12-06-2007, 04:45 AM

untamed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by reef_raf View Post
Although I recommend really trying hard to avoid temp swings, my tank went from79F to 89F everyday for an entire summer and I only lost one species of acro. Everything else did really well. If all else is ok, I don't think temp swings alone would do it, based on my experience.
I think it has been well experimented/accepted that too high temperature causes the coral to expel its zooanthelle. I don't know about rapid temperature swings...but high temperature is certainly bad.
400 gal reef. Established April, 2007. 3 Sequence Dart, RM12-4 skimmer, 2 x OM4Ways, Yellow Tang, Maroon Clown (pair), Blonde Naso Tang, Vlamingi Tang, Foxface Rabbit, Unicorn Tang, 2 Pakistani Butterflies and a few coral gobies

My Tank: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=28436
Old 12-06-2007, 06:16 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by untamed View Post
I think it has been well experimented/accepted that too high temperature causes the coral to expel its zooanthelle. I don't know about rapid temperature swings...but high temperature is certainly bad.
Absolutely agree. I've seen tanks that go up inthe mid 90s and lose most of the corals. Mine never topped 89, but it did swing 10 degrees daily, for almost 2 months.
Old 12-06-2007, 04:52 PM

Murminator is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Murminator

2X 250 watt (or 200W not sure) heaters not sure if they turn on or not I can't see them but I don't see any temp swings

I reserve the right to hijack any thread I want to!!

My carbon footprint is bigger than your carbon footprint !!!!