Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > FOWLR

Old 01-29-2013, 11:41 PM

khan82 is on a distinguished road
Default New tank

Hello everyone,

I recently decided to jump into saltwater tanks and seems like it would require alot of education compared to a freshwater tank. I have been reading articles on this forum and they have been of great help.

I had a couple of quick questions regarding my 30 gallon tank.

1 I am getting a lot of sand shifting, what should I do? The water is still cloudy as it has only been 48 hours.

2) how do I know the cycle has started? I mean using 40 lbs of sand, live and regular in equal proportions. I have only added 5 lbs of live rock yet and I have a job filter running too.

Thanks for your help...
I am just nervous as this is the first time I am doing it and don't know what to expect.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:03 PM

theSICKNESS is on a distinguished road

do you have a powerhead pointing at the sand? if so, adjust it so it is not stirring the sandbed.

my tank was cloudy for about 4 days after i added the rock and began to cycle, it cleared up within a week.

in terms of knowing if your tank is cycling, do you have a test kit? and a source of ammonia in the tank to get the cycle started.

Why do you have a HOB filter on the tank? your biological filtration will come primarlily from the live rock.

I cycled mine with a peice of raw shrimp, and added about 4 -5 lbs of live rock in addition to my 25lbs of base rock and i tested the water daily

Cheers

Chris
Old 02-14-2013, 03:10 PM

JmeJReefer is on a distinguished road

Purchase a decent test kit. Safest way to know Wuts going on in ur tank. Be patient. And welcome!
Old 02-14-2013, 03:28 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

The saltwater cycle is similar to the freshwater cycle. You will know it has started when you can measure ammonia. Ammonia will then become nitrite so you gotta test for that. Then nitrites to nitrates. If you are familiar with freshwater cycles, then saltwater is not much different in this regard :-)

Cloudiness will clear up in time. Your sand is being blown by some current. Look into what that current is and try changing it as suggested above.

Welcome to Canreef!!

Oh and remember, DON'T PANIC! :-D

P.S. you should describe your entire setup, post pictures, equipment list, etc. maybe even start up a Tank Journal over in the "Tank Journal" thread :-)
Old 03-17-2013, 03:55 PM

Gallivanting1 is on a distinguished road

I started my 30 gal tank about 8 weeks ago and you are correct - there is a lot of education and research that goes into saltwater vs fresh. My sand would not settle so I put the filter I had with my freshwater tank on - minus the carbon and it settled in a day. I put in 25 lbs of live rock and after a week I added a couple of hermit crabs because all my tests were within the acceptable limits. After another week they were still alive and kicking so I added some zoas. After a month I put in two clown fish and they are also doing well. The rock has developed some really nice color and polyps are springing up. I have left the filter on because the fish really like to swim through the waterfall it creates. The trick to the tank is patience. Add things slowly and continue to test. With a 30 gal like mine I really watch the bioload and don't overfeed. While I wait I like to research what my tank can accommodate and - very important - who will get along with who. Yesterday I added a blue brittle starfish and an urchin to help with algae cleanup and they are doing a bang up job. If in doubt about what you're doing, check with a lfs and they should be able to help you out. Good luck and enjoy!