Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 10-13-2019, 01:40 AM

Llorgon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzz4 View Post
Yes it's normal for the 3155 to pump water upon power-up.

You can adjust the voltage output to the pump. While unplugged, remove the 4 phillips screws on the back. Inside there is a micro pot. Twist the knob all the way counter-clockwise to drop the output to it's lowest setting. This will reduce the water output per cycle to 'around' a cup give or take.

You'll find it will also reduce pump noise.
Thats kind of annoying it works that way. Good to know I can adjust the voltage.

Starting to see diatoms on the rocks now. My one sps frag has gone totally white. I don't think there will be any saving it but my toadstool had polyps out for the first time since the move so that's positive.

Did another big round of water tests

Temp: 78
Salinity: 1.026
pH: 8.0
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5
Phosphate: 0.113
Alkalinity: 9.2
Calcium: Hanna checker 405, salifert 450
Magnesium: 1380

All fish are eating and doing well. Lost a hermit crab though. Once the cycle is fully complete I am going to have to restock my cuc.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Old 10-15-2019, 07:44 AM

spacespace is on a distinguished road

Congrats. I just finished cycling my first reef tank which is a IM lagoon 25 as well.
Old 10-16-2019, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacespace View Post
Congrats. I just finished cycling my first reef tank which is a IM lagoon 25 as well.
That's awesome. I hope it goes well. Will have to post some pictures of it.

Ammonia and nitrite are still holding at 0

Unfortunately I lost another hermit crab I think.

Fish are doing well, eating and swimming around.

Corals are still struggling. My largest acan is still not opening and I think I am slowly losing it. The other 2 acans are looking better. My frogspawn is opening up a bit, but nothing like it was in the 75 gallon. The toadstool was open for a few hours on Saturday, but hasn't opened up since and is getting very droopy. All 3 sps frags have diatoms on them so I think they are gone...

Old 10-17-2019, 02:04 AM

Haven't seen any ammonia or nitrite since last Friday and I haven't added any stability the last couple of days. Looks like the mini cycle is over!

Now I can start trying to get my coral health back up.

My params seem to be fine, but most corals don't seem happy. Do they just take more time to adjust to new lights/flow?

Old 10-17-2019, 06:21 AM

hey. I have a pair water level adjuster for lagoon 25. If you want I can give to you. I bought it here.https://ez-dose.com/product/ez-water...ster-full-set/
Old 10-17-2019, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacespace View Post
hey. I have a pair water level adjuster for lagoon 25. If you want I can give to you. I bought it here.https://ez-dose.com/product/ez-water...ster-full-set/

I will take you up on that next time I am in town.

Have you used them, do they work well?
Old 10-18-2019, 02:15 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llorgon View Post
Haven't seen any ammonia or nitrite since last Friday and I haven't added any stability the last couple of days. Looks like the mini cycle is over! Now I can start trying to get my coral health back up.
Keep an eye on your NO2 for the next month just 'cause. Testing every couple days doesn't take much time. Remember, higher levels can starve your inhabitants of O2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llorgon View Post
My params seem to be fine, but most corals don't seem happy. Do they just take more time to adjust to new lights/flow?
Many corals don't ship well, and being in a bucket together is not the best environment. They will 'fight' with each other, and the resulting coral warfare results in many deaths.
Corals are best shipped in separate bags. Losses can be minimized by dipping after shipping and follow the same rules as if you were to receive them new; acclimate over a couple/few hours.

If you have any left that look like they are worth saving, try dipping them in some TLF Coral ReVive.

The ones that are just growing algae should be tossed now.

My tank leak back in 2016 caused me to place 4 years of 75g growth into 2 x 26L tubs. The upset corals proceeded to kill each other overnight with excretions. I lost almost everything that night.
I was devistated to see the loss, and the smell was overwhelming

You'll recover.
Let the tank stabilize for a couple months, then slowly start adding stuff again.

Don't rush it. You've just moved in and I'm sure you can entertain yourself with other stuff

Keep the tank clean of algae, clean the sand/siphon with WCs, clean the glass, turkey baste the rocks weekly to help with the cycle/regular maintenance. If you use socks, change them weekly after blowing off your rock.
Couple/3 months and you'll be ready to start over.

Last edited by gregzz4; 10-18-2019 at 02:25 AM.
Old 10-18-2019, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzz4 View Post
Keep an eye on your NO2 for the next month just 'cause. Testing every couple days doesn't take much time. Remember, higher levels can starve your inhabitants of O2.

Many corals don't ship well, and being in a bucket together is not the best environment. They will 'fight' with each other, and the resulting coral warfare results in many deaths.
Corals are best shipped in separate bags. Losses can be minimized by dipping after shipping and follow the same rules as if you were to receive them new; acclimate over a couple/few hours.

If you have any left that look like they are worth saving, try dipping them in some TLF Coral ReVive.

The ones that are just growing algae should be tossed now.

My tank leak back in 2016 caused me to place 4 years of 75g growth into 2 x 26L tubs. The upset corals proceeded to kill each other overnight with excretions. I lost almost everything that night.
I was devistated to see the loss, and the smell was overwhelming

You'll recover.
Let the tank stabilize for a couple months, then slowly start adding stuff again.

Don't rush it. You've just moved in and I'm sure you can entertain yourself with other stuff

Keep the tank clean of algae, clean the sand/siphon with WCs, clean the glass, turkey baste the rocks weekly to help with the cycle/regular maintenance. If you use socks, change them weekly after blowing off your rock.
Couple/3 months and you'll be ready to start over.

Still testing water every couple of days. So far things are holding at 0. I will wait another week and a bit and then slowly do a small feeding in the morning and one at night.

I actually put all the corals in ziplock bags with some water and then floated them in the bucket with some water to avoid all the "fighting" The water in the bucket was heated by a heat pack taped to the side of the bucket. Not sure how well that worked though.

I do still have a few corals. I have my frogspawn, 2 mushrooms and 2 acans. The toadstool might still pull through. The largest acan I think isn't going to make it. I can see more skeleton every day. Not sure why it was hit so much harder than the smaller ones. The frogspawn I am just having a hard time getting it to open up like it was in the 75 gallon. I tried moving it to a lower flow area last night. Will see how it does the next few days.

I do have some revive so I will give that a try.

Been cleaning filter socks twice a week while in that mini cycle and I do a 5 gallon water change once a week.

The worst part is in 6 months I have to do this all over again. But at least it's only a 25 min move and not a 5 hour move!
Old 10-20-2019, 05:17 AM

It's just a 3d printed guard for your outflow and it dose it job to rase the display tank water level.
Old 10-20-2019, 10:17 PM

Yesterday was water testing and water change day. Did another 5 gallon water change and changed filter socks.

Params are
Salinity: 1.026
Temp: 78
pH: 8.0
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 10
Phosphate: 0.120
Alkalinity: 9.7
Calcium: 405 or 450 depending on test kit
Magnesium: 1380

Does anyone have a good recommendation for calcium and nitrate test kits? I have Hanna and salifert for calcium and they have a huge diffet in test results. And my nitrate API reagent is low so I will need a new test kit for that.

I also did a dip in coral revive for a few of the struggling corals. Hopefully that will help them a bit.

My large frogspawn is looking worse today. All closed up. With water parameters seemingly ok, could it be the lights or too much/too little flow?