Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > DIY

Old 02-06-2019, 04:12 PM
Gold Member

mseepman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabinetman View Post
I don’t think most people realize just how hard a big tank is. What’s your struggles?
Had an bacterial infection take out most of the corals last year and then with all that death, came algae and then once I beat that I have just never been able to balance the tank again. Also there must have been some bubble algae in the tank but I had not seen it until recently when it's just taken off like crazy.
I've been struggling with cyano for months and done multiple chemi-clean treatments without success. Gone through 4 x 200g boxes of salt in the last 2 months with water changes and still every day red cyano...took the tank dark for a week but all that did was hurt the surviving SPS.
It will be beat, but i'm pretty frustrated right now.

290g Peninsula Display, 425g total volume. Setup Jan 2013.
Old 02-07-2019, 05:24 PM

Cabinetman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mseepman View Post
Had an bacterial infection take out most of the corals last year and then with all that death, came algae and then once I beat that I have just never been able to balance the tank again. Also there must have been some bubble algae in the tank but I had not seen it until recently when it's just taken off like crazy.
I've been struggling with cyano for months and done multiple chemi-clean treatments without success. Gone through 4 x 200g boxes of salt in the last 2 months with water changes and still every day red cyano...took the tank dark for a week but all that did was hurt the surviving SPS.
It will be beat, but i'm pretty frustrated right now.
I’ve been struggling myself keeping some coral happy. Sps just faded away. Got an icp test done and it showed I had low salinity. That’s what I get for not buying a good quality one with proper calibration fluid. I’ve made so many changes to the filtration too. I made a stand alone filter sock unit that holds 3 7x19 5 micron socks. Seems to be the best I’ve had for clearing the water. I must make a video.
Old 02-08-2019, 04:18 PM
Gold Member

That would be interesting to see. I admit I have not calibrated my refractometer in a long while...will do that tonight.

Old 10-06-2019, 05:44 PM

gdawg is on a distinguished road
Smile

im at a little over 600 gal not including the sump . Been cycling for 4 months and still waiting for the ammonium to get down to zero . Nitrates just started to climb so I should be ready soon ….. I hope
Tank is L shaped 9 ft long by 36 inches deep 28 tall and the L part is 6 ft

Last edited by gdawg; 10-06-2019 at 05:46 PM.
Old 10-14-2019, 03:16 AM

Mrfish55 is on a distinguished road

750 gal 96"x60"x32"
There is a build thread about it on here somewhere.
Old 10-15-2019, 05:18 AM
Gold Member

Default Big tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabinetman View Post
I don’t think most people realize just how hard a big tank is. What’s your struggles?
While on vacation my apex crashed and pushed all my dosing chems in at once until empty. All fallbacks on the apex were ignored. I came home to a lot of coral death. Fish all survived but had a 90% loss of coral. The coral death spurred uncontrollable nutrients which brought on algae. I spent much of a year battling that and recently vibrant has helped me regain control but it has incurred rampant cyanobacteria. I'm finally in the stages of re-populating the corals from frags. Levels are not perfect yet but working on it.

Wasn't sure I could come back from losing so much but trying to look forward to my growing tank again.