Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

View Poll Results: Is it OK to keep juveniles of large species in smaller tanks?
Yes 12 38.71%
No 19 61.29%
Only some species, and I'll post in the thread which ones! 0 0%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-05-2005, 02:49 AM

reeferaddict is on a distinguished road

Steve! - Valium!

I personally like the posts that allude to working with the tank you have. Stay within the limitations of the setup you are running - WHEN you upgrade - then get the different fish you want. I have 3 tanks running now, separated into a softie and stony environment, and I keep fish that will live as long and healthy life as possible under my care in those tanks... now I'm making room for MORE tanks....
135G Mixed Reef. Bullet 2, 25 gal refugium, 2 X250W MH + 4X 96W PC\'s, DIY Calcium Reactor, Coralife 1/6 HP Chiller, Phosban, Tunze, 2 closed loops & SQWD\'s, Seios, Coralife 4 stage RO/DI & a bunch of other expensive gadgets... I may never retire, but I'm gonnahavahelluvanaquarium!
Old 10-05-2005, 03:11 AM

Matt is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Matt

A topic of strong opinions, no doubt! I'm becoming convinced that I shouldn't have bought that powder-blue tang for my nano...

Seriously, though, all the "minimums" are subjective and -- as stated -- all are considerably less than a natural habitat. It probably is an oxymoron to consider yourself a responsible reefer, although we all want to do our best not to be cruel. A bird in a cage, a fish in a tank, a dog in a kennel. All represent WAY less than ideal situations, but pet owners do all of that, with love and care. How small can the tank, kennel, cage be? How big, before we smile to ourselves and assure our consciences that we're the 'good' owners?

There's a note of truth in Steve's comment. I am a bit interested in a fish that would outgrow my 37. It would take some time, and lord knows what tanks I'd have talked myself into by then. I'm not convinced one way or the other. I'm not a sentimentalist. If a fish isn't a good fit, I'll find it another home, and move on to the next one.
Old 10-05-2005, 03:16 AM

OCDP is on a distinguished road

See.. touchy subject heh.. while I tend to agree with everyones opinions I still lean towards the feel that... if your tank is big enough for the juv. and you DO have intentions/plans to get it into a bigger tank (I mean, sure you can say SOME people wont do it.. but you cant say ALL, right..) then it's not that big of a deal. We all know what is right and wrong... etc... and if we are the "responsible reefkeepers" we really are.. then we will do what is right for the fish.. either way! It comes down to some common sense and general reef keeping responsibilities. If you know yourself you have the intentions of providing the optimal environment for that fish once it outgrows (or begins to outgrow; would be a better choice of words) then I myself think it's not that cruel... and I do agree that sticking any fish ripped from the ocean is cruel enough to begin with.

Haha I don't make a whole lot of sense I know.. but you can get the jist of things.
Old 10-05-2005, 03:41 AM

Invigor is on a distinguished road

of course it's a touchy subject -- we're playing god..which is an awfully selfish thing to do
Old 10-05-2005, 03:41 AM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCDP
Steve, no one said anything about keeping a tang in a 20g...
bah that was numbers I pulled out of the air as and example as we have had people with tangs in a 20 befor. for what it is worth I agree that a small tang species would be ok in a 40 or bigger (tang police are going to roast me on this one ) but I would not keep any species of tang in a smaller tank than that. as for angels there are several dwarf species that are colorfull and interesting as well as other types of fish more suited to a small tank that are equaly cool. if you go with angels and you have soft and LPS corals are you willing to risk them becomming lunch? all kinds of questions you need to ask.

I know there are several people that do actualy upgrade tanks but do a poll on the size of main tank that people on the board have and I think you will find the majority under 60 gal. another poll of who plans on upgrading there tank size will show a high number but if that is followed up with a poll on how long the upgrade has been on hold or in the planning stage I think you will find the majority end up wishing they could get a bigger tank (I am one of thoes also ) not nessasarly for anyone reason either.. mine is no place to put it, ran it by the wife to cut a hole in my den wall so you could see it from the family room, I figure I could get at least a 224 gal tank in there but the reception wasn't that warm so I am one of thoes people that wanted a fish that needs much more than my 94 gal and if I would have given into it two years ago it would now be cramped with no hope of getting a bigger tank for a while. Not because I didn't want to but because I can't at this time.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 10-05-2005, 03:56 AM

dunl is on a distinguished road

Is it okay to keep my powder blue in his moist sock?

Depends on the person. If they are a serious hobbiest who does actually upgrade from time to time, or has several willing friends to take larger fish, there's no problem with doing so.

If they don't have the means to upgrade RIGHT NOW - means there is a good chance they probably never will.
Old 10-05-2005, 04:13 AM

geopod is on a distinguished road

So I guess I shouldnt keep the 20lb Salmon in my 33 gal then should I ....mmmm supper.Touchy subject for some.I kept fish for almost 20 years now.This is my 3rd year with saltwater.I believe we are all playing God when it comes to fish as well as any other animal or lizard which ever it may be..And I have 2 dogs a cat ,lizards, fish...reading everyones posts everyone has their own opinions and beliefs and yes someone may not like it.But I always tried to keep my fish to the size of the tank.When I bred discus I kept a pair in a 60 Gal.Cause to me they get big and they needed space.You will always have those that will keep big fish in smaller tanks why....money.But they want the fish.I have seen it.Its pretty bad when I looked at ones guys tank and all I saw was fish and no liverock or coral.
Old 10-05-2005, 04:26 AM

reefburnaby is on a distinguished road

Hi,

In my opinion, I'd say no. For starters, these types are fish are usually very young when we buy them (like a 1 inch tang). Hence, these young fish tend to more fragile and more suceptible to shock than older ones. We all know that many more fish die before we even see them at the LFS. Why needlessly kill more fish just to keep a younger/smaller fish because our tank is too small to keep their older siblings?

Also, I think it is morally wrong. Its like buying a small puppy. After a year, you sell it because its too big and its not quite as adorable. Many people do it, but I just think it is wrong.

That's my take on the subject.

- Victor.
Old 10-05-2005, 07:11 AM

Petcrazy is on a distinguished road

There's my other point...
You never know what the future holds, and more often than not people don't upgrade from what I've seen, unless they are among other aquarists and get a little encouragement. (Either by being in awe of other people’s setups...eg TomR's, or getting prompted into it because people think your tank is too small etc)

You don't know where you will be financially in the future, so you may as well stay safely within your limitations in the mean time.
How hard is that?

Something my mother taught me when I was little (since I was reaaally bad about constantly bringing pets home, weird things from garage sales etc....you'd be amazed how easily people take money from a little kid.....-grumbles-) "You don't need to take everything you see home. Sometimes it's perfectly acceptable just to look at something you like and appreciate it for what it is without taking it home with you."

That and why do people always think of the bare minimum they can provide their pets, other than what they can do to make the animals life comfortable, rather than less imposing on our own.
They never asked to be taken into your home, you took them in, so show your appreciation by giving them the best that you can provide for them.
Old 10-05-2005, 07:22 AM

reeferaddict is on a distinguished road

Steve - I can show up Sunday AM with a power saw.......
135G Mixed Reef. Bullet 2, 25 gal refugium, 2 X250W MH + 4X 96W PC\'s, DIY Calcium Reactor, Coralife 1/6 HP Chiller, Phosban, Tunze, 2 closed loops & SQWD\'s, Seios, Coralife 4 stage RO/DI & a bunch of other expensive gadgets... I may never retire, but I'm gonnahavahelluvanaquarium!