Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > DIY

Old 01-15-2013, 04:16 PM

Chatouille is on a distinguished road

I need to make some progress on mine too...

I had my heatsink cut to size yesterday, now I have to figure out how I want to do my pendant enclosure. Still waiting on a bunch of small stuff get here so I can do the circuits for temp, and PWM fan.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:40 PM

Well... to keep costs down, I'm going to try to make a pendant out of left over acrylic I have from when I built my tank years ago. Here's the faceplate I came up with to hold the remote TFT display for Jarduino. Sorry for the crappy pic's... just snapped them quick with my phone.

Not as nice as something CNC'd... but it'll work. I'll try to cut the other pieces this weekend, but have to wait on some syringes to apply the weld-on 4 to arrive from ebay. (Pharmacist looked at me like I had 3 heads when I tried get some locally)

Chris
Old 01-24-2013, 11:46 PM

ScubaSteve is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatouille View Post
Well... to keep costs down, I'm going to try to make a pendant out of left over acrylic I have from when I built my tank years ago. Here's the faceplate I came up with to hold the remote TFT display for Jarduino. Sorry for the crappy pic's... just snapped them quick with my phone.

Not as nice as something CNC'd... but it'll work. I'll try to cut the other pieces this weekend, but have to wait on some syringes to apply the weld-on 4 to arrive from ebay. (Pharmacist looked at me like I had 3 heads when I tried get some locally)

Chris
Nice job. Had me convinced that you CNC'd it How did you do it?

If I can rally the energy tonight I'm gonna CNC my enclosure for my Typhon controller. It's been a REALLY exhausting week, so that's a big maybe... but we'll see
Old 01-25-2013, 12:50 AM

Just used a router... I built the table that you can partially see in the background when I made my tank. (8 years ago)

The piece came out decent.... the TFT display is flush with the back of the 3/8" thick acrylic, will router a hole in the side panel of the pendant for the ribbon cable to connect. Then I'll just use 2 small cap screws to secure the faceplate to the pendant side panel. I wish I had black acrylic to use instead, but that just isn't in the cards right now. (will probably use krylon fusion paint)

Hopefully it will all come together ok.

Chris
Old 01-25-2013, 01:41 AM

Don't forget to post pic's when you get it done... I'm sure lots of people will be interested in what you come up with for the typhon, especially for the menu buttons. I wanted to build that controller, but could never just find anyone that had a spare PCB.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:02 PM

daplatapus is on a distinguished road

Nice work Chris. I was thinking of doing something similar when it came time to do it. More of my parts are slowly trickling in. I tried uploading the 1.1 version sketch on to my Arduino and I'm having issues. First of all I found out the Arduino environment has to be tweaked a bit so it can handle such a large file transfer. Jamie provided a tweaked version with the download, but it's not Mac compatible. Du'oh!
So I commandeered my wife's laptop and finally got everything loaded there. What a pain. Funny how Windows illiterate you get when you work with a Mac for a while.
Anyway, got everything running on the laptop, the sketch verify's good and load's onto the Arduino fine with no error's but my TFT screen is blank. Hmmmm....
The screen powers up fine it's just blank. So I'm not sure if I have a slightly different version of screen than he used in his programming and I need to change something in the code or what.
That's where I'm at....
Old 01-25-2013, 02:14 PM

So, I have a parts question maybe you guys can help me with. I'm trying to be able to stack multiple proto boards on top of one another. I figure I'll need 2 boards between the main Arduino and the ITDB02 Mega shield that runs the TFT screen. I can find the stackable 8 pin female headers with the long legs to be able to do most of it, but is there such a thing as a 40 pin female header with the long legs? Or do I have to lego the 8pin's together to do it?
Old 01-25-2013, 02:21 PM

Hmmm.... I loaded up ver 1.1 also to play with a week ago or so, I did make a change in the sketch before loading though. I changed line 92 to this....

Code:
TDB02       myGLCD(38,39,40,41,ITDB32S);    //May need to add "ITDB32S" depending on LCD controller
ITDB02_Touch myTouch(6,5,4,3,2);
I didn't change anythin on line 93, but included it incase for whatever reason yours was different. I am using a TFT from sainsmart, not itead's, but it uses the same driver... I wish I would have found the reports about the sainsmart TFT before I bought mine, but so far so good.

Just a note... you can't go off of the line #'s in Jamies manual for ver 1.1, as it was written for 1.2, and they're different.

HTH
Chris
Old 01-25-2013, 02:25 PM

The ones for the arduino are 36 pin... it changes over to 40 pin on the shield for the TFT. Itead does sell the stackable header kits for the mega. I have some on order... should have them here any day.
Old 01-25-2013, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatouille View Post
The ones for the arduino are 36 pin... it changes over to 40 pin on the shield for the TFT. Itead does sell the stackable header kits for the mega. I have some on order... should have them here any day.
Yeah, you're totally right! I never noticed. I have a 40 pin header on the ITDB02 mega shield for the TFT screen and didn't even check the Arduino.
Thanks. I'll have to check for the stacking header for it tonight and see if that code change works for me.

Dom