Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 08-19-2009, 10:47 PM

reefracer is on a distinguished road
Default Customer protection from unethical coral vendors??

I along with most likely numerous others have been burnt by a certain unscrupulous coral vendor that has failed to ship goods, does not communicate about business deals, lies and cheats us out of hard earned money. Is there any way that we can protect ourselves from people like this?? I have a fairly substantial sum of goods owed me from some DOAS and unshipped goods and I though everything was going to be settled only to be experiencing the same old games again. Games like not responding to e-mails, statements of intent to ship with no shipment or response as to why, and no calls back and constantly full voicemail boxes. I have even heard complaints about this vendor on other forums. If anybody has any information as to what people/channels need to be opened to recoup lost funds from this vendor please share it. Also, some ideas about how we as consumers can protect ourselves from having to deal with things like this in the future would be nice. One just doesn't expect to have service and treatment like that when a vendor has a website and his banner on a country-wide forum. Anyway, information and thoughts are appreciated.

Last edited by reefracer; 08-20-2009 at 05:19 PM.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:25 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

If the money is substanial then small claims court would be the best bet. Other than that there is not much else you can do. Report to Better Business Bureau? There is really not much you can do to get your money back besides court, but you can help to prevent others from enduring the same treatment as yourself by informing them. Personally, when dealing with a new-to-me vendor I always look very closely at vendor ratings (including an internet search), and I am careful to only spend an amount of money I am comfortable losing. Once I have gained a relationship with a new vendor I will spend more.

SPS fanatic.

Last edited by Myka; 08-19-2009 at 11:27 PM.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:43 PM

PoonTang is on a distinguished road

A little bit of reasearch on this site alone would have told you that people have been having nothing but troubles with him all along. With so many good vendors here why would you even have taken a chance?
Old 08-19-2009, 11:49 PM

I honestly didn't realize he was on here and that there were complaints otherwise i wouldn't have bothered. I ordered again just to make it worthwhile while trying to get stuff that was missed. He seemed pretty nice at first then the BS started to happen. I just think it's sad that there are so many crooked people that you have to cover your a_ _ on a hobby as well.
Old 08-20-2009, 12:42 AM

shrimpchips is on a distinguished road

As I've advised others who've dealt with this vendor, if you've paid via credit card or CC linked to a paypal account, and you've documented how the vendor did not come through either with product or through neglectful shipping procedures, then start a claim through the CC company - paypal is awfully slow and they'll take a portion anyways.

Other than that, options are that you could file a claim in court, but unless you've invested thousands, it's probably not really worth your time. You could try calling the police as apparently someone has already done on the past on this vendor - no idea how that turned out though.
Old 08-20-2009, 02:13 AM

So how many of us across Canada have had issues with this particular vendor??
Old 08-20-2009, 02:14 AM

jsmth321 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to jsmth321

If you paid via credit card like others said you can dispute the charges, best course of action for you.

If you paid cash or cash like payment (check, money order, debit) then your at the mercy of the retailer unless you take them to court, but the amount needs to be worth the effort.
Old 08-20-2009, 02:26 AM

I paid with VISA and not through paypal. There is still a way to make a claim of sorts?
Forgive me, I am a little naive when it comes to what my VISA can do for me other than buy me things when i don't have the cash and charge me interest.
Old 08-20-2009, 02:29 AM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Well buyer beware is how I see it. It's unfortunate when these things happen but they do happen and you shouldn't buy online without proper research and security. There has been plenty information on almost all forums that advised against doing business with this vendor but I guess some just can't pass up on $10 frags, you get what you pay for and ignorance doesn't get you anywhere. If you received a shipment paypal won't help you, not sure about VISA either.

Sorry if it's a little harsh but a lot of people are complaining about this lately and I just laugh when I see the complaint thread and group order thread on the top of the active thread list

The damage is done, move on and take the lesson with you.

Last edited by sphelps; 08-20-2009 at 02:45 AM.
Old 08-20-2009, 03:27 AM

iansfishy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
Well buyer beware is how I see it. It's unfortunate when these things happen but they do happen and you shouldn't buy online without proper research and security. There has been plenty information on almost all forums that advised against doing business with this vendor but I guess some just can't pass up on $10 frags, you get what you pay for and ignorance doesn't get you anywhere. If you received a shipment paypal won't help you, not sure about VISA either.

Sorry if it's a little harsh but a lot of people are complaining about this lately and I just laugh when I see the complaint thread and group order thread on the top of the active thread list

The damage is done, move on and take the lesson with you.
yup. Couldn't have said it better myself. Even mice will only get stung once before realizing something isnt right