Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 05-16-2012, 05:47 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about
Default Weigh in on your harlequin tusks please

I'm considering one for my mixed reef. I'm aware that these guys will most likely decimate a CUC. Apart from a really large cleaner shrimp I don't have a CUC however. I'm not counting the 4 peppermints I recently added because they're never out with the lights on (and I'm having a hard time convincing myself they're even alive anymore!).

I'm more concerned about smaller fish. I have a tailspot in there which I really love.

Might be useful to know I have 3 wrasses (melanarus, leopard and red coris) which all get along perfectly.

Last edited by lastlight; 05-16-2012 at 05:50 PM.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:11 PM
Cugio

I just saw this video the other day. You might be interested in it Brett. I think even a large cleaner shrimp would be decimated (that and your pretty little fingers).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHAEW...eature=g-all-u
Old 05-16-2012, 06:21 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Thanks I had actually seen that one... beauty of a fish.

My cleaner is very large which in my experience means lazy as well. He refuses to clean any of my fish anymore and hides all day mostly out of sight. For those reasons I'd be ok with taking the risk.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:33 PM

The Codfather is on a distinguished road

Brett,
When I first got mine, he was very hard and any invert. But now that hes fat, sassy and fed well, he doesnt touch any of the snails. He does have some aggresion towards some fish, but not the ones you'd expect(same color or shape). I think it would be hit or miss. I got lucky, mine eats everything from pellets to nori and everything inbetween. I like mine and would never get rid of him. I had to rehome for almost a year, but I think they are a great addition. HTH,
Bob
Old 05-16-2012, 06:37 PM

fishoholic will become famous soon enough

I have heard they are prone to marine velvet. A friend had a store hold one for her for 3 months and it seemed healthy and was eating but a week after she added it she got an outbreak of velvet in her tank, it was the only new addition in months so she figured it had to be from him. I also think the one Lance has had velvet when he got it but I could be wrong.

I tried a very small 2" one once he did great for 3 months then I added a mystery wrasse and the mystery picked on the tusk and stressed him out and he died a couple weeks later

Last edited by fishoholic; 05-16-2012 at 06:39 PM.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:45 PM
Gold Member

Thanks guys that's helpful.

I have read that the smaller ones do considerably worse. Also seems like a no-brainer to buy an aussie one for both looks and success rates.

The velvet thing doesn't sound good. I'm still not setup to qt and somehow I am still waffling back-and-forth about whether I want to do it at all.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:06 PM

reefermadness is on a distinguished road

Im pretty sure my tusk went unphased when marine velvet took out my clowns.

My tusk eats everything......I've seen him go after and sometimes get asterna snails if they flip over but if they are right side up he ignores them. So I have large asterna's and mexican turbos snails that have been with me for a long time. Shrimp are goners for sure. Mine has never bothered any other fish in the tank. Keep um well feed and they are good reef safe fish.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:00 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastlight View Post
I'm still not setup to qt and somehow I am still waffling back-and-forth about whether I want to do it at all.
you've read my thread, right??
Old 05-16-2012, 09:51 PM

krisalexander is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to krisalexander

Beautiful fish, I was watching them at J & L last week they got about 4 in, man they are beautiful fish.
I have no experience with them, but I wish I did!
Old 05-16-2012, 09:57 PM

George is on a distinguished road

The harlequin tusks in J&L now are from Australia. Australian harlequin tusks are more colorful than those from indo-pacific. Well worth the extra money.