Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 02-14-2015, 03:26 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef Pilot View Post
If it wasn't for the LFS in Langley (Nick at the old Fishworld) I probably would have had a tank crash in short order. And he asked (I never asked him) me to bring in water samples. I think I only did that once or twice, and quickly became self sufficient with my own testing. And yes, I bought a lot of stuff from him (until he went out of business).
And this is a perfectly normal progression. You didn't say "hey, they'll do this for free, I don't ever have to buy kits". You used a service, they got a loyal customer, you went on to be self sufficient. All is well in the world.

Oh, and i never joke...(hardly ever).
Old 02-14-2015, 03:29 PM

Reef Pilot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
Oh, and i never joke...(hardly ever).
And pigs fly,... haha.
Old 02-14-2015, 03:40 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
And pigs fly,... haha.
Fine. You got me
Old 02-14-2015, 03:50 PM

I do agree with your overall premise, though, ie moochers are not cool. Getting a good deal is one thing, but trying to take advantage is another...
Old 02-14-2015, 03:58 PM
Just a guy..

Quote:
I do agree with your overall premise, though, ie moochers are not cool. Getting a good deal is one thing, but trying to take advantage is another...
What has really spawned this is long running pet peeve with a guy that was at my house trying to screw me for frags. While he was trying to get free frags out of me, we're talking, and he explains how he doesn't need to buy this and that, since he can borrow stuff, use the LFS's good nature, etc. So every time I read someone suggesting that one should just expect the LFS to provide free time and materials, it sets me off. Hell, most things set me off - lol I just filter most of it
Old 02-14-2015, 04:28 PM

Quote:
What has really spawned this is long running pet peeve with a guy that was at my house trying to screw me for frags. While he was trying to get free frags out of me, we're talking, and he explains how he doesn't need to buy this and that, since he can borrow stuff, use the LFS's good nature, etc. So every time I read someone suggesting that one should just expect the LFS to provide free time and materials, it sets me off. Hell, most things set me off - lol I just filter most of it
Yeah, haven't personally encountered that, but I am sure there are all kinds... Somehow, I don't think those people last too long in this hobby...

I do feel bad for some, though, that I think can't afford it, and almost suggest to them, maybe they should wait until they have a few more bucks before diving in.

Actually, have had more than one person try to pay me more for a frag or clipping,...haha. So overall, have to say that I have met mostly very, very nice people in this hobby.
Old 02-14-2015, 04:36 PM
Just a guy..

I'm at a point where I usually sell frags/stuff very very cheap, if I even take money at all. And 95% of people are great. Yes, some have chosen a hobby they can't really afford, and i feel bad for them, but some are just cheap. Selling a guy frags at $5, he offers me 3.75 in change. Really?? I gave away a MH setup, saw it posted for sale a week later. Same guy that felt he didn't need to buy test kits, since his buddies and LFS had them. Makes me sad.
Reefing is expensive. It has required spending. If you can't/won't part with the money, it may be the wrong hobby at this time.
Old 02-14-2015, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Selling a guy frags at $5, he offers me 3.75 in change. Really?? I gave away a MH setup, saw it posted for sale a week later. Same guy that felt he didn't need to buy test kits, since his buddies and LFS had them. Makes me sad.
Yeah, that is incredible, hard to believe actually. And then trying to sell a free item!! I can see haggling for a $100 item (I might even do it), but for a 5 or 10 dollar frag?? This isn't the type of hobby where you try to save pennies,... big bucks, yes,... haha.

Well, if you encountered this guy, I am sure others have. And they probably aren't all as gracious as you are.
Old 02-14-2015, 05:13 PM
busy with fresh water.

The Guy is on a distinguished road

Yep after reading all the comments "CHEAP" really P---ES me off. I think I had the LFS check my water maybe twice when I first got into SW and then J&L recommended some different options for testing and I went with Salifert and still use that brand, I was having problems with Po4 and Walter offered to check my water with his Hanna tester, wakeup call! So now I have a Hanna Po4 tester. Your absolutely right Brad this is not a hobby for someone that's cheap and does not want to buy there own maintenance equipment to look after a tank properly. As I mentioned already in another thread testing kits are the tip of the iceberg and probably the most inexpensive part of the hobby.
Come on people get with the program or get out of this hobby and start collecting stamps. BTW Brad being opinionated is fine when you speak the truth about a subject what ever it may be.
The main message is be prepared to pay if you want get into Salt water.
Old 02-14-2015, 10:49 PM

SiliconGuy is on a distinguished road

I can't imagine not wanting to own your own test equipment
for the convenience and consistency aspect that it gives.
Do the same folks also borrow a thermometer from their neighbors???