Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 04-19-2012, 02:39 PM

Geofrog is on a distinguished road

Stupid question, I know, but could the rock still be used in a FOWLR systems, with the knowledge that it is contaminated with copper, so no shrimp or clean up crew?
Old 04-19-2012, 03:00 PM

daniella3d is on a distinguished road

Is the liverock really garbage now? because in my system I had enough free copper to kill half of my corals and the rest was in shock for a while but I had my water tested after a month and no more trace of copper. From my experience the copper will not be absorbed so much into the liverock and will eventually bind to organic matter and be neutralized or at least turned into a non toxic form and removed by the skimmer and syphoning of the sand.

I did not change my liverock after the copper poisoning and everything is thriving again in my tank. Copper is at very low level so normal level for saltwater, so my liverock is not leaching any copper or at least not something that can do any level of dammage, and I have a very porous Totoka liverock.

I would test for copper before throwing out good live liverock. I am guessing that with Cuprisorb and a few good water change, the liverock is going to be perfectly fine.

Last edited by daniella3d; 04-19-2012 at 03:02 PM.
Old 04-19-2012, 03:08 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofrog View Post
Stupid question, I know, but could the rock still be used in a FOWLR systems, with the knowledge that it is contaminated with copper, so no shrimp or clean up crew?
Not stupid at all. Yes, the rock could be used in a FOWLR system. The danger comes down the road when the person shuts down and tries to sell the rock. This is always a risk buying used rock...
Old 04-19-2012, 04:52 PM

daniella3d is on a distinguished road

Unless it has healthy coral on it...that alone is a clue that the liverock should be healthy as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
Not stupid at all. Yes, the rock could be used in a FOWLR system. The danger comes down the road when the person shuts down and tries to sell the rock. This is always a risk buying used rock...
Old 04-19-2012, 04:59 PM

Casey8 is on a distinguished road

Even if you buy at LFS, it is still not safe. Everybody can sell their rocks to LFS to get a credit and we have no clue what the condition of the rocks are anyways. Unless you get the rocks when they arrive at the store and you see them unwrapping them in front of you. That was how I got my rocks at the beginning. I don't trust somebody else's rocks if I don't know that person well.
Old 04-21-2012, 05:09 AM

Money pit is on a distinguished road

Ok so in the summer I do a lot of prospecting. If we come across gypsum, calcite or any other calcium type rock and want to see what minerals they are holding, we will soak them in Muriatic. Often whats left over is just a sludge that we pan out to check for mineral content. I know this sounds off in left field, but the point is, I'm not sure what shape your rock will be in if left over night, you may end up with a lot less than you started with, and it will defiantly be dead. And what will you do with the acid when you are done? It would take quite a bit to soak a 135g tank worth. Myself, I think I would go with the Marco rock, with a bit of new live rock for seeding.
Old 04-21-2012, 05:17 AM

rynoe is on a distinguished road

How is the Marco rock I was thinking of using some
Old 04-21-2012, 01:16 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money pit View Post
, but the point is, I'm not sure what shape your rock will be in if left over night, you may end up with a lot less than you started with,
lol, yes, like I said, soak for about 10 minutes to just dissolve the surface of the rock. Overnight would be messy.

Disposing of the acid is easy once you've added a box of baking soda to the mix. Just pour it down the drain.
Old 04-21-2012, 01:48 PM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynoe View Post
How is the Marco rock I was thinking of using some
its dense and heavy and will probably never be as good as live rock even after it eventually becomes live.....
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694
Old 04-21-2012, 06:08 PM

tim the toolman is on a distinguished road

So after worrying I finally got to the store to buy a copper test kit after I had also used a brass fitting in my ato system and had been fully submersed for over 5 ish months. Pulled the fitting when this thread was first posted and there was definite signs of wear and fading of the original coloration and as a result of this I was scared.
Anywho I tested my RO ato system and it came up 0 as well my tank showed the same readings. Phew I think I may have dodged a bullet here.
I'm off to the store now to buy a coral in celebration lol.