Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 02-26-2014, 02:38 AM

bignose is on a distinguished road

I probably should have mentioned its Foz Down.
Old 02-26-2014, 04:18 AM

jordsyke is on a distinguished road

Hey tim, does it have to be dosed into a 10 micron filter sock?, I have a 300 micron filter sock I could dose it into. I do not keep sps only softies
Old 02-26-2014, 05:43 AM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimT View Post
To me it's not worth the risk of experimenting by using a pool based product.
I obviously agree with you as I've had the stuff for a while and have been too uncertain to use it. I'm not asking you to divulge exactly what fozdown is and I'm actually content to hear you outright say it is different than these pool products which quite a few people have tried.

When my current supply of gfo is out I'm going to try out your product. Hopefully it and a suitable filter sock will be be easy to obtain when that time comes. Thanks for the info.
Old 02-27-2014, 05:30 AM

TimT is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordsyke
Hey Tim, does it have to be dosed into a 10 micron filter sock?, I have a 300 micron filter sock I could dose it into. I do not keep sps only softies
The reason people want to use filter socks is to remove the flocks of LC and Phosphate. Some people are concerned that there might be a potential for the bound phosphate to be released back into the system. There is no scientific studies on this that I am aware of.

The medical variety LC does not release the bound phosphate even when it's in a persons stomach acid so it seems highly unlikely that it would release it at the pH of a marine tank.

I just dose it directly into the sump and let the flocks settle out in the sump. I do clean the normal detritus that tends to build up in the sump on a regular basis.

If you have a high flow rate through the filter socks some of the product will pass through before reacting with the phosphate.

I am bringing in the 10 micron filter socks to offer people the alternative to just letting the flocks settle out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastlight
Hopefully it and a suitable filter sock will be be easy to obtain when that time comes. Thanks for the info.
Glad to have been able to help. More and more stores are carrying Foz Down. If your favourite store does not carry it they can order it through some of the distributors(Aqua Digital and Reef Supply Canada) that offer it. If they don't want to bring it in we can set something up. The 10 micron filter socks arrive tomorrow.

Cheers,
Tim
Old 03-01-2014, 11:02 PM

badAZZlars is on a distinguished road

I just bought some Brightwell Aquatics Phosphat-E from JL aquatics. I bought some live rock for my new setup and its leached phosphates into the water where it got to .32 and the GHA was starting to grow.

I believe it is Lanthanum Chloride and it seems to be working well. Have already brought it down to .21 after a quick initial dose. Should have it down around zero within a couple days. I've been dosing it directly into the inlet of the skimmer.
Old 06-07-2014, 10:42 PM

Ulmo is on a distinguished road

FYI found a lanthanum chloride product called "agent green" by acrylic tank manufacturing. Available at Big Al's. $19, 118ml, treats 1250g @ 1ppm phosphate.

Going to try it on my pukani bin which is currently at ~.75 ppm.

Cheers

http://acrylictankmanufacturing.com/...phate-remover/

Last edited by Ulmo; 06-07-2014 at 10:50 PM.
Old 07-01-2014, 09:03 PM

Ulmo is on a distinguished road

Agent green seems to be doing the job. Phosphate at .03 or less in my curing bin.