Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 08-22-2014, 07:20 PM

SoloSK71 is on a distinguished road

a metaldehyde?

Charles

Success in this hobby does not count how you spend your money, it counts how you spend your time.
Old 08-22-2014, 07:25 PM

Coralgurl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloSK71 View Post
a metaldehyde?

Charles
Sounds right.

I just googled that and its a pesticide for snails & slugs, or camp fire fuel. I was mobile when I called and unable to write the information down.

Last edited by Coralgurl; 08-22-2014 at 07:28 PM.
Old 09-06-2014, 09:46 PM

Hope this has been working out for you ... any updates you want to share?

Charles

Success in this hobby does not count how you spend your money, it counts how you spend your time.
Old 09-06-2014, 10:41 PM

I will post what I picked up a bit later as I'm out of town atm. I did get "stuff" from Pisces, it's a 2 part med that you add to the fish food and treat for 5 days.

They seem to be ok though.
Old 09-15-2014, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloSK71 View Post
Hope this has been working out for you ... any updates you want to share?

Charles
I called Shoppers Drug Mart and they don't carry those meds. I am dosing the fish food again with the other stuff, that I keep forgetting to post....last night I'm watching them and my sailfin has this 4 inch long, flat thing hanging out its bum. I've copied a thread I started last year as it shows a bit of what this thing looks like. its about 5 mm wide, flat and there was 4" hanging out. I watched for quite a while and didn't see it drop or whether it went back inside. It also had 2 of the skinny worms as well.

The sailfin is not as skinny as it was and actually looks good. It eats like a champ, frozen and nori sheets. Is not weak as it swims face first into the powerheads to pick the algae.

I am ready to call it quits here. I don't have $500 to catch a fish and take it to the vet or to have the vet come to my house which is a min 2 hour call. I can't watch my fish 24/7 to watch them poop and catch these stupid worms so they won't eat them.

My tank has not been well taken care of, I know that, so the fish have not been living in the best conditions, I know that too. I've just changed out 40 gls of water on the weekend, got my skimmer going again, filter socks, need to still change out the carbon/gfo, but not having major algae issues. So ya, this is on me. I've had a busy year, but there's no excuses. If someone wants them who can take better care and get them healthy again, I'll sell off. I really don't know what to do.

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/sho...=102329&page=2
Old 09-16-2014, 03:43 AM

They are both used for livestock. Any chance you have some connections with local farmers? They can usually get a lot of these medications from a vet just by calling and asking.

There are some other, more labour intensive options you can use to supplement the medical compounds that may help. One thing you can try adding is to mix bentonite clay with gelatin, raw seaweed (kelp) and the food you normally feed the fish. This has some limited effectiveness by itself but combined with the medication can increase the efficacy of the treatment. The gelatin keeps the clay bound until digested by the fish, and as it passes through the digestive system it helps the fish expel the parasites and also acts to reduce the chances of the parasite attaching.

http://www.allnaturalpetcare.com/DIY...gredients.html

Be careful of some the items mentioned as the difference between a therapeutic dose and a toxic one can be close for some species.

Hope some of this helps.

Charles

Old 09-16-2014, 03:52 AM

I will get my mom to check with her vet, they are on an acreage and have a great relationship with her, I never even thought to go that route. She has 2 she works with and if they can't help, her neighbours will have connections as well. This helps immensely, I will keep updating. This is so frustrating!
Old 09-16-2014, 04:00 AM

This is what Pisces recommended

Metronidazole and Focus, both from Seachem. Mix in with their food, feed daily.
Old 09-16-2014, 04:35 AM

Of what is available to you at the moment they are probably the best choices. Another option is to continue the Prazipro while feeding those as well.

Charles

Old 09-16-2014, 04:50 AM

I will give another dose of prazipro. I wanted to do another water change as im sure the water quality is poor. I can get it done tomorrow eve, do you see any value or should I just go ahead and dose now?