Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Filtration and Skimmer Specific

Old 03-10-2014, 08:57 PM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coralgurl View Post
Hmm, not sure that's the reason, I was running the unit yesterday and it was quite nice. I've never found temps to be an issue, only with evaporation.
Colder water will definitely have an impact on production. Membranes are designed to produce their rated output at a certain water pressure/temperature. I'll take a guess & those numbers are probably around 21 degrees C temperature & 60 psi water pressure. Any deviation from those numbers will cause a deviation from rated production. I stuck one of those strip thermometers on the housing of my 1st stage sediment filter and during the winter months the incoming water gets down to 8 degrees C. Highest incoming water temps I see are August through September when it gets up to a whopping 15 degrees C. That's still 6 degrees below the temperature at which my 75 gpd membrane would actually produce 75 gpd. Colder water means colder membrane which in turn means the tiny pores in the membrane will be smaller & more water will bypass instead of being pushed through the thin film. A day or two of mild weather will generally have little impact on the huge reservoirs most of our water suppliers use. My water comes out of Kalamalka lake, so it takes a long time for temperatures to change during the different seasons.

The positive side of colder water I've found is that I can get 0 TDS out of the membrane within 10 minutes of start up, saving on DI media. In the summer I never get 0 TDS from the membrane, best I can do is 1 TDS..... but production is faster....
Old 03-10-2014, 10:54 PM

Coralgurl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike31154 View Post
Colder water will definitely have an impact on production. Membranes are designed to produce their rated output at a certain water pressure/temperature. I'll take a guess & those numbers are probably around 21 degrees C temperature & 60 psi water pressure. Any deviation from those numbers will cause a deviation from rated production. I stuck one of those strip thermometers on the housing of my 1st stage sediment filter and during the winter months the incoming water gets down to 8 degrees C. Highest incoming water temps I see are August through September when it gets up to a whopping 15 degrees C. That's still 6 degrees below the temperature at which my 75 gpd membrane would actually produce 75 gpd. Colder water means colder membrane which in turn means the tiny pores in the membrane will be smaller & more water will bypass instead of being pushed through the thin film. A day or two of mild weather will generally have little impact on the huge reservoirs most of our water suppliers use. My water comes out of Kalamalka lake, so it takes a long time for temperatures to change during the different seasons.

The positive side of colder water I've found is that I can get 0 TDS out of the membrane within 10 minutes of start up, saving on DI media. In the summer I never get 0 TDS from the membrane, best I can do is 1 TDS..... but production is faster....
I'm going to check this out. I did notice the water in the container was ice cold as I refilled one of my jugs. I'm not sure what we tapped into as the water source - just told the hubby to get it done.....lol

I've only noticed production slowing down the last 2 weeks, not throughout the winter and we've had a helluva winter. Maybe its just a combination of cold water and dirty filters.

The only gauges are the one on the unit, I don't have any additional gauges to check on water pressure and in all honesty, don't recall ever looking at them...so dumb right...but I figure i'm getting the amount of water in the time I know it takes to fill so don't worry about it.