Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Polls

View Poll Results: Are you happy with your switch to LED?
Happy - Switched from MH to DIY 7 12.28%
Happy - Switched from T5 to DIY 6 10.53%
Happy - Switched from MH to store bought 19 33.33%
Happy - Switched from T5 to stor bought 8 14.04%
Unhappy - Switched from MH to DIY 0 0%
Unhappy - Switched from T5 to DIY 0 0%
Unhappy - Switched from MH to store bought 4 7.02%
Unhappy - Switched from T5 to store bought 5 8.77%
Happy - this is my first light 7 12.28%
Unhappy - this is my first light 3 5.26%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-28-2011, 11:03 PM

abcha0s is on a distinguished road

I admit to being skeptical when I invested in LED, but let the great debate be over. LEDs are completely and totally ready for full blown SPS systems. My corals have grown more in the past 60 days under LED then they did in 6 months under 250W MHs. The colours are great, the polyp extension is great, the overall health of the system is great.

Now, I confess that I am also supplementing Calcium, Alkalinity and Magnesium in a much more controlled fashion that I previously was. This is undoubtedly why I am seeing the increased growth, but it still proves that LEDs can and do grow-out beautiful coral.

I completely love the sunrise, sunset and moon effects. It really adds value to my viewing time. The fish are well aware of the light cycle and will act differently depending on the time of day. The dusk cycle inevitably triggers the mating instincts in a number of my fish. The energy in the tank at dusk is incredible.

For what it’s worth, I have zero regrets. None what-so-ever. These lights were one of the best purchases that I have made for my tank.

I have the 6’ Vertex Illumina 260 on a 300G tank (6’ x 3’ - 27" deep) open top.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:23 PM

ensquire is on a distinguished road

On a 42"H x 18"W x 22"D tank, would I need two of the AquaIllumination LED Modules or would one do the trick ?
Old 06-29-2011, 12:05 AM

Pirates_Gold is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobytron View Post
even if there are some regrets, you're unlikely to find too may people willing to admit to a 2000 dollar mistake...
Perhaps, but then you would expect to see them being sold off too...and I don't see too many used LED fixtures for sale.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ensquire View Post
On a 42"H x 18"W x 22"D tank, would I need two of the AquaIllumination LED Modules or would one do the trick ?
Hey Mike, I am no expert and do not know what you are wanting to keep. PAR readings with one of the 72W modules to a 42" depth should be okay for some species, but knowing their specific lighting requirements and placement become key. A pair of these LED modules will definitely be stronger and so allow you to keep more light demanding species. That said...there are other LED fixtures that will provide more light, but will also put a larger dent in your pocket book.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:28 AM

ensquire is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirates_Gold View Post
Hey Mike, I am no expert and do not know what you are wanting to keep. PAR readings with one of the 72W modules to a 42" depth should be okay for some species, but knowing their specific lighting requirements and placement become key. A pair of these LED modules will definitely be stronger and so allow you to keep more light demanding species. That said...there are other LED fixtures that will provide more light, but will also put a larger dent in your pocket book.
To start, the tank will have some LPS, fish and anenomes. But if I'm going to invest in anything in the lighting department beyond my 6 Bulb T5 fixture I may as well work under the assumption that SPS will be involved down the road. Currently my lighting will hang 4" above the tank in a canopy.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:40 AM

mark is on a distinguished road

good idea for a poll
Old 06-29-2011, 01:01 AM

phi delt reefer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcha0s@conceptaquatics View Post
I admit to being skeptical when I invested in LED, but let the great debate be over. LEDs are completely and totally ready for full blown SPS systems. My corals have grown more in the past 60 days under LED then they did in 6 months under 250W MHs. The colours are great, the polyp extension is great, the overall health of the system is great.

Now, I confess that I am also supplementing Calcium, Alkalinity and Magnesium in a much more controlled fashion that I previously was. This is undoubtedly why I am seeing the increased growth, but it still proves that LEDs can and do grow-out beautiful coral.

I completely love the sunrise, sunset and moon effects. It really adds value to my viewing time. The fish are well aware of the light cycle and will act differently depending on the time of day. The dusk cycle inevitably triggers the mating instincts in a number of my fish. The energy in the tank at dusk is incredible.

For what it’s worth, I have zero regrets. None what-so-ever. These lights were one of the best purchases that I have made for my tank.

I have the 6’ Vertex Illumina 260 on a 300G tank (6’ x 3’ - 27" deep) open top.
what happened to the ReefTech units? I thought i saw them on your site last week as well but it looks like the product line was changed up.

how far from the centre of the light are you keeping SPS?
Old 06-29-2011, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ensquire View Post
To start, the tank will have some LPS, fish and anenomes. But if I'm going to invest in anything in the lighting department beyond my 6 Bulb T5 fixture I may as well work under the assumption that SPS will be involved down the road. Currently my lighting will hang 4" above the tank in a canopy.
Remember that the AquaIllumination LED's are modular. Just my opinion, but if I was in your shoes...I would purchase make an initial purchase of a single LED module, controller and 22" rails. Then run it for a while. If you want more punch later, just order another single module, slide it on the rails and daisy chain them together. I forgot to mention that is another cool feature of theirs....expandable and as my budget can afford them.
Old 06-29-2011, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phi delt reefer View Post
what happened to the ReefTech units? I thought i saw them on your site last week as well but it looks like the product line was changed up.

Yes - We had been working hard to secure a deal with ReefTech for the Canadian Distribution. Unfortunately, we recently decided to pull the line. While the technology looks promising, we had a conflict of interest that ultimately could not be resolved. For anyone interested in purchasing these lights, I would encourage you to contact ReefTech directly. At this time, we have no association with ReefTech.

- Brad
Old 06-29-2011, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phi delt reefer View Post
Sorry - I forgot to mention.

My Vertex light is roughly centered above the tank. As the tank is 36 inches from front to back, this leaves about 17 inches on both sides of the light strip.

I have a Red Planet at the bottom of the tank about 6 inches from the front pane of glass. That puts it about 11 inches in front of the light strip. It is probably about 20 inches below the surface of the water. The coral is growing well.

- Brad