Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Polls

Old 07-12-2011, 06:49 PM

msjboy is on a distinguished road
Default Is Marine Reef Tanks a Guy Hobby?

Just curious, my wife says salt water reef aquariums is a guy thing; she thinks only guys appreciate its beauty in different eyes just as purses and shoes are pretty to women; she also pointed out my other sub-interest, venus fly traps/carnivorous plants is also a guys thing. You know, looking at all these forums and the people who shop at LFS, I think she is right.... I would say, its 80% guys. Would be nice to do a simple poll here.

msjboy
Old 07-12-2011, 06:57 PM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

I think there are plenty of reef Girlys....I'm not sure a reef forum will be a direct reflection of the market..... I don't think as many Girlys get as deep into it as guys do(going onto the forums and such) ....but we do see a lot of women in the shop.... I don't think it's a 50/50 split but 20% seems small to me
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694
Old 07-12-2011, 06:58 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

It's a total sausage party here you're right. But the ladeez are pretty vocal so we seem to have some sort of balance in the force.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:03 PM

mark is on a distinguished road

might be my hobby but only because the wife allows me to play
Old 07-12-2011, 08:09 PM

ScubaSteve is on a distinguished road

It might be a bit of a guy thing but I know plenty of lady reefers. Oddly enough, though guys dominate the hobby I think women tend to appreciate it more. My girlfriend and other female friends are always completely fascinated by the tank and talk about the corals the same way they would a flower, etc. (oh it's sooooo pretty! OMG, that Pom Pom crab is soooo cute!) A guy on the other hand is more likely to to kinda give the talk a once over, grunt and say "that's cool"'and then walk away.

I think the hobby isn't as one-sided as we think it is, I think the guys just tend to nerd out about it a bit more... It's kinda like a cool version of a comic book convention.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:19 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve View Post
I think women tend to appreciate it more
My wife will be on the couch and ask me what I've been staring at for the last 30 minutes as I keep moving around the 3 viewable sides with my nose pressed to the glass. I never use any flowery language tho lol.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:32 PM

Carmen is on a distinguished road

I would say it is mostly men but I am very much a reef girl! With no help or support from my husband, I appreciate every aspect of the reef tank not just the "pretty corals" or "oh look it's nemo!"
So we may be fewer in numbers, but us girls can take on the hobby of reef keeping with the best of you guys!

45 Gallon Cube with 10 Gallon Sump, Lighting 8 bulb T5, Vertex IN 80 Skimmer
-2 Occelaris Clowns, Engineer Goby, RBTA, Peppermint Shrimp
Old 07-12-2011, 09:21 PM
acanthastrea freak

Skimmerking is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Skimmerking Send a message via MSN to Skimmerking

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastlight View Post
It's a total sausage party here you're right. But the ladeez are pretty vocal so we seem to have some sort of balance in the force.

HOMO COUGH COUGH !!!!!!!!!

Hey Brett what time are you coming over tonight grunt grunt
Old 07-12-2011, 09:28 PM

jorjef is on a distinguished road

I'm trying to get across to my 18 year old son that Salt tanks are "chick magnets" When he has freinds over all the girls flock over to the tank for a short tutorial by yours truely and the guys are left scratching their heads saying "it's just a fish tank".. They just don't get it lol. A guy hobby for sure but the female side does appreciate it. At least the ones that don't have to compete with the tank for their husbands/boy freinds time... that does see to cause "issues" now and again lol
Old 07-12-2011, 10:22 PM

cathyg_99 is on a distinguished road

i think theres some girls in it.... my husband has nothing to do with the tank other than when i ask him to reach something for me (usually when i drop a frag to the bottom, i have to crawl into my tank to get at the bottom)