Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 02-02-2011, 06:09 AM

asylumdown is on a distinguished road

I'm using tap water for my tank because I don't have any other options right now. With weekly water changes, I can predict when I'm going to have cyano problems down to the day because of it.

Whenever there is precipitation, or a lot of snow melt, I end up with algae problems within 3 days. Spring melt = fluctuating diatom outbreaks (high silicate mountain run-off), summer storms and mid winter chinooks = cyano flare ups (agricultural run-off).

not saying that's what happened there, but tap water is pretty inconsistent.
Old 02-02-2011, 04:13 PM

Murminator is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Murminator

I am thinking it is a combo of cyno, red slime remover and 1 of the fish dying caused a huge chain reaction. Not sure if I can rule out tap water problems. I was a firm believer in tap water. I have had dinoflaggets before and hair algae in different tanks but I blame that on summer time and not keeping up with maintience. I have also done numerous 75-90% water changes on salt tanks packed with coral with tap water with no ill effects. I have been tap water for 30 years At 1 time I was running 10 tanks on on tap water 3 of them saltwater all treated with prime. Now I am down to a meer 6 tanks and in 1 on salt which is RO/DI. As for the 1.1 phos it was before a a water change with a dirty filter sock and filter floss which i was using to polish the water a bit.

I reserve the right to hijack any thread I want to!!

My carbon footprint is bigger than your carbon footprint !!!!