Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 09-21-2010, 04:35 AM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

Good to hear your ok.....must have been scary......your experience should be re-posted here.... http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=47571
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694
Old 10-16-2010, 01:55 AM

Murminator is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Murminator

OK WTF???....Seriously WTF???.....It happened again last night since this last time this happened I have done 2 water changes no problems. Did a water change last night before I did it I blew any loose stuff off the rocks and took a kitchen brush and scraped off about 10 brown zoas that popped up in different parts of the tank. Did a 10% water change. About 2 hrs later the wife and I get hit with these sneezing fits and from sneezing so much our throats got a little sore. Went to bed about midnight, couldn't sleep sneezing coughing tight chest got up took a bunch of meds sat down watched some TV. Then about 0200 the dog started gasping and whimpering went for a walk she seems fine got back in the house 10mins started again went out side again this time she wouldn't walk. Now the wife is up her chest is tight. We go for a drive to get some air dog gets worse end up at the emergency vet at 0330. Explain to the vet I think my SW tank gave off some gas or bacteria after stirring it up, he said he never heard of it but didn't dismiss it. Gave the dog some IV to open her airways and a sedative said she wasn't is any distress and alert to what was going on so we were free to go home. Got home 0445 now the wife is starting to get the shakes going got a bunch of water and meds in her and got to sleep till 0830. Checked on the tank to find white water and 2/3's of the coral dead about 200 dead bristle worms hanging out of the rocks. Then opened all the windows and got out of the house. Went to work got a full face mask with organic/inorganic filters vacuumed it out moved the rocks looking for a Yellow tang and a mandarin no luck, other fish seem fine and did a 50% water change. Wife is fine today dog is defiantly not herself and won't eat unless you hand feed it to her but she is eating, my throat is killing me my chest is plugged and coughing up and rainbow of colors.

Does anyone know what exactly it could be? Gas? Bacteria? Even the term or name so I can tell a doctor. The tank has been running non stop 6 years without any re-landscaping. I'm thinking old tank syndrome there is a lot of dust(detris) down in the rocks and recently last 2 months my phos is through the roof 5.0+ calcium 620-640?? (with 2 different test kits) no ammonia and .5 nitrates ph 8.3 mag 1290

I'm almost at the point of hiring someone to come and rip it all down, the risk is getting to be to much to have.....or maybe a bare bottom FO tank

I reserve the right to hijack any thread I want to!!

My carbon footprint is bigger than your carbon footprint !!!!
Old 10-16-2010, 02:16 AM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

Wow that's crazy I hope all you guys are ok and you get it figured out my best to you all if you ever need a hand let me know I'd be glad to help anyway I could
Old 10-16-2010, 02:17 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Sounds like something has a serious neurotoxin in there?? No idea what to suggest ... I mean, once, it's a freak occurence but this is 3 times now? I hate to say it but I think if it was me that tank would be done - sell or at least rehome the fish, and haul all the rock and substrate to the landfill.

No idea what to suggest - good luck!
Old 10-16-2010, 02:26 AM

Wingin It is on a distinguished road

WHOA...Seriously Crazy! I'd be getting rid of the tank right quick too...end the suffering!
Old 10-16-2010, 02:26 AM

jorjef is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
Sounds like something has a serious neurotoxin in there?? No idea what to suggest ... I mean, once, it's a freak occurence but this is 3 times now? I hate to say it but I think if it was me that tank would be done - sell or at least rehome the fish, and haul all the rock and substrate to the landfill.

No idea what to suggest - good luck!

I second that... do give you credit for sticking it out and alot of time and money are at stake..But it's affecting everyone in the household and for me that would be too serious
Old 10-16-2010, 02:55 AM

daniella3d is on a distinguished road

Airborne toxin!!!??? now what!

You died from asthma...huh..

Anyone who wish to get rid of their paly/zoanthids, I will take them all. I have no problem handling, toutching and getting my finger and skin full of palytoxin slime. I guess I love zoanthids and they love me back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvlester View Post
You may have inhaled some air born toxin that the zoes let go of. That would be the most likely reason your were having problems breathing and the dog also. I have asthma and have a personal attachment with breathing, I have died from asthma once; it's quite the experience. Bill

Last edited by daniella3d; 10-16-2010 at 02:57 AM. Reason: /
Old 10-16-2010, 05:45 AM

Ograx is on a distinguished road

6 Years is alot of time for all kinds of stuff to build up.

Have you ever taken the rocks out and cleaned them out?
Old 10-16-2010, 08:25 AM

Cranky When Wet is on a distinguished road
Default Time to call in the Big Guns Wet Web Media.com

Well, I'm still up and it's late.... I still believe it's a toxin but not sure what the source is. You might take this to a site called WetWebMedia.com It's run by Bob Fenner and Anthony Calfo among many very qualified folks.... Here's a link: http://wetwebmedia.com/index.html

Just follow the rules for submitting questions...like good spelling/language etc... they are more formal than us; but, well worth getting to know.

They've helped me when I first started up.

Also, you should know some people are more sensitive/predisposed to toxins than others for a myriad of reasons: diet, heredity and those "unknown" factors. I've learned I cannot touch stressed paly's of any sort without serious palpitations, breathing trouble and tightness in chest.

The last thing you want is to induce a heart event. I hope the people at this site can help.

Please avoid the tank until you know more.

Bunny
Old 10-16-2010, 02:54 PM

daniella3d is on a distinguished road

In deed, some people will die when stung by a wasp or a bee and I feel only a short lived pain.

Some people will die if they ingest a slight bit if peanut butter...wich is yummy stuff to others.

When I bought my tube anemone the store owner told me that some people had their hand went numb after toutching or being toutched by the anemone. I toutch mine all the time when I clean the glass and don't feel a thing or any numbness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranky When Wet View Post
Well, I'm still up and it's late.... I still believe it's a toxin but not sure what the source is. You might take this to a site called WetWebMedia.com It's run by Bob Fenner and Anthony Calfo among many very qualified folks.... Here's a link: http://wetwebmedia.com/index.html

Just follow the rules for submitting questions...like good spelling/language etc... they are more formal than us; but, well worth getting to know.

They've helped me when I first started up.

Also, you should know some people are more sensitive/predisposed to toxins than others for a myriad of reasons: diet, heredity and those "unknown" factors. I've learned I cannot touch stressed paly's of any sort without serious palpitations, breathing trouble and tightness in chest.

The last thing you want is to induce a heart event. I hope the people at this site can help.

Please avoid the tank until you know more.

Bunny