Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 12-17-2010, 04:38 PM

24storm is on a distinguished road
Default Mexico vacation input needed

Looking at going to Mexico next month with wife and 16 year old daughter. Looking for any input on places you have stayed and would recommend. We are thinking Cancun or Riviera Maya. We were planing to go to to the Grand Riviera Princess ( the one that had the explosion) and stay in the platnium area but that area is closed until the hotel is repaired. If any one can give me some insight it would be great. We would like to do some snorkeling no diving as we are not certified and i would like to maybe look into deep sea fishing.

So if anyone can give me any advice on places to stay or places to stay away from that would be great.

Thanks Keith
Old 12-17-2010, 04:44 PM

axe_man16 is on a distinguished road

I was in that area last March. We stayed at Gran Bahia Principe. It is about 1hr 30mins from Cancun, but is a very nice resort. There are lots of places to snorkle close to the resort. Akumal is 5 mins away (via collectivo) and you can snorkel for free, if you bring your own stuff. There are lots of colorfull fish, turtles, stingrays. And you can always snorkel right at the resort. There are lots of schools of fish that will circle you looking for food.
Old 12-17-2010, 06:19 PM

russp is on a distinguished road

WQe have been staying in Akumal for the last 8-9 years , we love the Akumal Beach Resort . Not a fancy resort but a comfortable all inclusive & the best location in the entire Mayan Riviera imo. Amazing beach & great snorkeling right in front of the hotel .
Old 12-17-2010, 06:36 PM
Masterbaiter

Joe Reefer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Joe Reefer

I recommend the Blue Bay Esmerelda. I have stayed there twice now both times were top notch. Huge pool, nice beach, good food.
Old 12-17-2010, 06:36 PM
Banned

spawn is on a distinguished road

We just stayed and got married at the Bahia Principe Tulum. There are 3 resorts on the grounds at the Bahia Tulum, Akumal ,& Coba All three are awesome. Tulum & Akumal are the beach fronts. Highly recommend this resort!!!
Old 12-17-2010, 06:55 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

I was at the Grand Riviera Princess last year, best place I've been in Mexico, highly recommend it, only thing is you'll have to travel a little for good snorkeling and scuba if that's a concern. However not many resorts in the Mayan have good snorkeling right off the beach.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:00 PM

Thanks for the input people keep the ideas coming. Has anyone went fishing down there? Good idea or waste of money?

Is snorkeling any better in Cancun or would it be about the same?

I have some more research do now on the resorts listed.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:02 PM

axe_man16 is on a distinguished road

check out this web site, lots of great information. Just type in the resort you would like to learn about.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...Peninsula.html
Old 12-17-2010, 07:07 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24storm View Post
Thanks for the input people keep the ideas coming. Has anyone went fishing down there? Good idea or waste of money?

Is snorkeling any better in Cancun or would it be about the same?

I have some more research do now on the resorts listed.
Cancun would be worse.

I wouldn't bother with the deep sea fishing, I've been before as well as many friends. Typically you're lucky to hook a couple barracudas (sometimes you get nothing) and 80% of the people on the boat get sea sick which can last a couple hours or a couple days after depending on your sensitivity level.

You can book nice snorkeling trips to Akumal which is good and not too expensive. Go on a cenote tour, that's something not typical in other areas of the world and it's amazing, cold but worth it.

Last edited by sphelps; 12-17-2010 at 07:10 PM.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
Cancun would be worse.

I wouldn't bother with the deep sea fishing, I've been before as well as many friends. Typically you're lucky to hook a couple barracudas (sometimes you get nothing) and 80% of the people on the boat get sea sick which can last a couple hours or a couple days after depending on your sensitivity level.
Thanks thats the advice i was looking for.