Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 11-17-2010, 12:00 AM
Masterbaiter

Joe Reefer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Joe Reefer

I would stock with super small fish. ie. barnacle blennys, broadstripe cleaner gobys, yashia, red banded highfin, tailspot blenny.... the list goes on. or maybe a dracula/pistol combo. Thats my 2cents. Nice setup btw.
Old 11-17-2010, 01:33 AM

nanochef is on a distinguished road

love this tank, i wanted one of the fluval edge tanks before i started mine. what stopped me from buying was that i already had a tank.. and it was free.. i think i'm going to get one over the holidays now especially after seeing this one lol
Old 11-17-2010, 05:49 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
To be honest at this point I've already talked myself into it
I'm not worried too much about bio-load, I do have over 10 gallons of volume with enough bio-media for a tank much larger, plus I do weekly changes of close to 40%. If I do find its too cramped for him I can always find him a new home and try something else. I just want something different, gobies just seem too ordinary for me even if they are more rare. The eel is also low maintenance which is key for me.
No point in asking then?

If you want something different, why not pick out the something different, and plan a tank around that?

SPS fanatic.

Old 11-17-2010, 06:13 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
No point in asking then?

If you want something different, why not pick out the something different, and plan a tank around that?
True but I posted the question and didn't get responses until the next day and by that time I had slept on it, done my own research and thought it through. It's not that I don't value peoples opinions otherwise I wouldn't ask but at the end of the day I still get the final say and I didn't get anyone talking from personal experience that it was a bad idea. I've kept this type of eel before and my experience tells me that they prefer confined spaces.

As for starting backwards, I agree it would be a better approach and a more typical one for me by nature but not for this particular build. I wanted the edge and I'm not in a situation right now that would have allowed be to build my own with more reasonable dimensions. However as time goes on I may be able to build a new tank with the same design and larger dimensions to replace this one so all hope isn't lost. This is actually a plan that remains in the back of my head and why I over sized the stand.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:44 PM

claymax is on a distinguished road

are the six leds enough or do you wish you ha put in more, are you just using one driver, if so does the colour come out the way you like, or do wish you had more control over the colour blend
Old 02-23-2011, 08:23 PM

For what it is it works great. 6 LEDs seems to be plenty for the soft and lps corals I currently have so I wouldn't add more and the 50/50 color seems to produce fairly good results. Adding more LEDs in the same area would make a better distribution as there are obvious spots in the tank that are more blue or more white but realistically it's perfect as is for what I wanted. Yes I use one driver and I wouldn't bother with adding additional drivers or dimable ones for more control with only 6 LEDs. For bigger tanks I would definitely use multiple dimable drivers for better control and features.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:46 PM

claymax is on a distinguished road

what kind of pump are you using for a return? do you get lots of flow with that setup?
Old 02-24-2011, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claymax View Post
what kind of pump are you using for a return? do you get lots of flow with that setup?
I use a maxijet 1200 throttled back a bit so it's pretty low flow. Probably only pushing around 50GPH if that.