Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 01-30-2005, 05:05 AM

G1GY is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willow
i called j&l, they said they wont bring any of the larger ones in untill they sell the smaller stock off might be awhile before i get one. maybe jack can hook me up.
Maybe PM Willito and find out where he got the larger ones.

CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET A BONG!?!

´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º>´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º>
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º> `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>
´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º> ´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º>
Old 01-30-2005, 06:29 AM

G1GY is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirCrazy
nope I am saying I have 6800gph flow in a 90 and just a gentle current through out the tank. I had almost the same flow in my 90 when the sad was in there but it was concentrated in the top 1/2 and then did make some massive flow that still wasn't to bad. I would not go back to a sand bed if you paid me now.

Steve
Steve,

Are you sure you had a sand bed at this time and not crushed coral or something heavier yet?

I'd be realy interested to know how you had that much water turn around and no hard current.
I mean I know you can direct the flow from the pump in any direction, but how do you prevent having a torrent of current in a 3 foot tank with that much flow?
Do you have the powerheads behind a big pile of rock?
Maybe the tank has 3 or 4 pounds of rock per gallon of water that works as a baffle system?

Do you use a wave maker type of set up on the Tunzes? (If so, then the off time has to be figured into your gph figure.)

I'm still wondering how you don't have any hard current with that much flow.

Some of my fish (CBB and Yellow tang for example) have a real tough time maneuvering around when their in the path of the 820 in a 3' tank and more flow would surely make it that much tougher for them.

So please tell me your secret.

CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET A BONG!?!

´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º>´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º>
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º> `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>
´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º> ´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º>
Old 01-30-2005, 04:03 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1GY
Steve,

Are you sure you had a sand bed at this time and not crushed coral or something heavier yet?
yup 230 LBS of sugar sand, right from salt water connection.

Quote:
I'd be realy interested to know how you had that much water turn around and no hard current.
Define hard current? when I had it all in the top 1/2 of the tank there was lots of hard current, but no jet blast.

Quote:
I mean I know you can direct the flow from the pump in any direction, but how do you prevent having a torrent of current in a 3 foot tank with that much flow?
basically the Tunze went across the length of the tank pointed at each other, and then the 4 maxi jets intersected the tunze. and my return, returns via 6 1/2" nozzles.

No that the sand bed is gone I have one tunze on the top back left side blowing across the top of the tank, one tunze on the bottom right size blowing across the bottom, one Seio on the top front left side blowing across the tank and one Seio under the back bottom right side of the rocks blowing under them to remove the crap from under them. the strongest current is across the front bottom of the tank and the tang loves going down there. it is still slow enuf that he could hover there and eat algae off the bottom when it was there.

with this set up you can put your hand anywhere and all you feel is a gentle push on your hand

Quote:
Do you have the powerheads behind a big pile of rock?
Maybe the tank has 3 or 4 pounds of rock per gallon of water that works as a baffle system?
I reduced my rock to about 150 to 170Lbs of rock in a 94 gal tank. only 1 Seio is under the rock and that is to flush it out

Quote:
Do you use a wave maker type of set up on the Tunzes? (If so, then the off time has to be figured into your gph figure.)
Nope a normal wave maker will kill a tunze also. and the ones I have are not set up for that use. all water movers are on full 24/7

Quote:
I'm still wondering how you don't have any hard current with that much flow.
there is a current, but one that is the size of the whole tank not just a nozzle blast.

Quote:
Some of my fish (CBB and Yellow tang for example) have a real tough time maneuvering around when their in the path of the 820 in a 3' tank and more flow would surely make it that much tougher for them.

I find that hard to believe, in the ocean the currents make my tank look like a joke and they still manage to swim there. My yellow tang used to sit in front of the Tunze about 2" off and hover there and the 820 is only 1/2 the flow of the tunze.
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 02-09-2005, 05:03 AM

stephane is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ_77
Also try reefsolution.com, maybe he's getting the 1500s in.

We just receive the new seio 1100 and 1500 now in stock

www.reefsolution.com

Tank picture update sept 2004