Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 09-14-2012, 05:01 AM

Pansy-Paws is on a distinguished road

I don't even ask if the LFS has done any QT measures. I figure QT will be my responsibility ... and I implement 8 weeks rather than the usual 4 or 6 that I hear about. I added the additional 2 weeks after I lost almost everything 6 years ago from a combined velvet/ich outbreak (my fault for not quarantining properly) ... and damn, that combined outbreak hit hard

For me, if the LFS does some QT, that, in itself, would not raise the price I would pay. But, if the fish still looked in great condition after say 2 weeks (QT or not), I have more confidence in it surviving in my care, and have paid a slight premium for that assurance.

Our tank http://www.pansy-paws.com/aquarium/

29 gallon nano-tank
Old 09-14-2012, 07:54 AM

burgerchow is on a distinguished road

I don't quarantine my new additions. Mind you, I only buy fish from LFS that have been in their tanks for at least 2 mos. I never buy newly arrived fish.
So far, been pretty lucky. Only times I lose a new fish is if my Sohal or Dottyback didn't like them.

120 , lps. 2xKessil A350W Tuna Blues, 2xvortech mp40 for flow,aqualogic 1/4 hp chiller, 160 lbs live rock. sohal, , pair of percs,flame dotty back , royal gramma, pair of black percs, niger trigger, mandarin

55 corner bowfront freshwater, African cichlids kessil a350

30 gal 36x36 coffee table fish tank. 3 red ear sliders.

5.5 gal nano, live rock, arrow crab, baby perc, firefish.
Old 09-14-2012, 01:41 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerchow View Post
I don't quarantine my new additions. Mind you, I only buy fish from LFS that have been in their tanks for at least 2 mos. I never buy newly arrived fish.
So far, been pretty lucky. Only times I lose a new fish is if my Sohal or Dottyback didn't like them.
Not sure where you shop, but any nice fish I'm interested in wouldn't last 2 days at the store without someone buying it, never mind 2 months -lol

Assuming though that the fish I wanted was in the store for 2 months, the store gets new shipments every week or two, so new fish are going in with it all the time. I'd prefer not to have that happen, it's stressful for the fish, and increases the chance of disease.
I was also lucky for years, and was very vocal against QT, until I was out $2,000 in fish from my luck running out
Old 09-14-2012, 01:47 PM

Spyd is on a distinguished road

The 2 weeks is not necessary by any means, however, getting them to eat prepared foods before someone buys them is a GREAT thing!!! I just purchased a Copperband and the store trained it to eat Mysis before selling it to me. Much better than buying one, not having it eat, and die.

My Copperband is huge, healthy and eating everything. Even flakes. I couldn't ask for a better job on getting the fish to eat. And it still only cost me $40. Paid a little more because it is a HUGE CB.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:06 PM

reefbyremote is on a distinguished road

The reason I asked the question is that understand some stores that have the fish arrive today/tonight after their long journey from overseas, acclimatize them to their (sometimes low SG) tanks, leave them in darkness overnight, and sell them the next day. Unfortunately my experience with this is not positive. I can understand the need to have cash flow, but I find that approach borderline cruel and imagine losses are high.

But maybe they all do that with a few exceptions like the old Red Coral in Lethbridge. They used to hold the fish for me for a week.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:36 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefbyremote View Post
The reason I asked the question is that understand some stores that have the fish arrive today/tonight after their long journey from overseas, acclimatize them to their (sometimes low SG) tanks, leave them in darkness overnight, and sell them the next day. Unfortunately my experience with this is not positive. I can understand the need to have cash flow, but I find that approach borderline cruel and imagine losses are high.

But maybe they all do that with a few exceptions like the old Red Coral in Lethbridge. They used to hold the fish for me for a week.
My experience has been pretty great with this approach. I think how the store acclimates is more important. That said, my LFS will hold a fish for me, but it's in a smaller display tank with who knows what else for fish. Depending on species, I'd even prefer to take the bag home.
I've often helped unpack orders, and when I go back the next day, almost 100% of the fish I unpacked are fine and swimming around, most eating. Far from cruel and no losses, other than the occasional and expected death.
I have seen other store owners just dump the bag into the display, and that results in very high losses, but the store I deal with, and I'm pretty sure the others in town here, all take a lot of time and care acclimating new fish.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:43 PM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefbyremote View Post

alot of places will hold a fish for you their holding it anyways untill itos bought arnt they??

i personally find fish a risky gamble to a hard earned reef, i prefer fish the minute they arrive.

the only benefit i could see would be to those with no experience or new to the hobby, experienced reefers often have their own techniques and routines they go through...and they dont always match the lfs qt.

i know i rather train fish on to foods my self same with treat for any diseases or parasites.

fish actually ship quite well as most suppliers know what they are doing or they wouldnt be in the supply game , its what happens at the store that stresses these guys out.....crowds,hands,lights,water change...etc etc etc.
Old 09-14-2012, 11:17 PM

burgerchow is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
Not sure where you shop, but any nice fish I'm interested in wouldn't last 2 days at the store without someone buying it, never mind 2 months -lol

Assuming though that the fish I wanted was in the store for 2 months, the store gets new shipments every week or two, so new fish are going in with it all the time. I'd prefer not to have that happen, it's stressful for the fish, and increases the chance of disease.
I was also lucky for years, and was very vocal against QT, until I was out $2,000 in fish from my luck running out

I always check out the fish at the LFS and it's tankmates. If I see any other fish in the tank that look sick, I pass on the fish I'm interested in. Most tanks at LFS probably have ich in them, that's why there's copper in most of their tanks. My philosophy is that if the fish has been in the tank a couple of months and is healthy, it's ummune system is strong enough to suppress the ich.
Velvet however, I've been fortunate enough to have never experienced.
That's why I only add 1 or 2 fish a year.

120 , lps. 2xKessil A350W Tuna Blues, 2xvortech mp40 for flow,aqualogic 1/4 hp chiller, 160 lbs live rock. sohal, , pair of percs,flame dotty back , royal gramma, pair of black percs, niger trigger, mandarin

55 corner bowfront freshwater, African cichlids kessil a350

30 gal 36x36 coffee table fish tank. 3 red ear sliders.

5.5 gal nano, live rock, arrow crab, baby perc, firefish.
Old 09-15-2012, 01:20 AM
Just a guy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerchow View Post

That's why I only add 1 or 2 fish a year.
Me too. #2 for the year wiped out my tank. lost a dozen expensive fish, that also needed to be replaced, figure total cost around 2g. Now I QT any fish going in for 6 weeks and treat with CP. No exceptions.
Old 09-15-2012, 01:23 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
Me too. #2 for the year wiped out my tank. lost a dozen expensive fish, that also needed to be replaced, figure total cost around 2g. Now I QT any fish going in for 6 weeks and treat with CP. No exceptions.
CP ?

Qu'est-ce que c'est ?

Last edited by gregzz4; 09-15-2012 at 01:25 AM.