Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 10-11-2015, 06:05 PM
Darth Moderator

WarDog will become famous soon enough

Awesome build thread and beautiful tank. I'm thinking TOTM soon!
Old 07-20-2016, 05:19 AM
Islander

reeferfulton is on a distinguished road

Well its been a long time since i did a little update .

Tank has been running very well , I have had few alk swings as low as 5.2 over the last 6 months . And as a result I have learned what STN is ..... Man in my tank when STN starts it is very very slow. I watched a stag colony for 3 months slowly STN from the base up about 2.5 inches.. At that point i finally broke it off on good clean flesh and stopped the issue..

I have been dosing vitamin C for the last 3 months .. Not sure what for m but hey worth a try ..

Other things I have been dosing for coming up on 2 years now .. Are Lugols 2 drops almost daily .. And 2 tablespoons of Brightwells Pottassion in each water change.

I lost 2 fish that i have had for 3 years over the last 6 months .. Each fish slowly lost motivation to eat and basically just sat on the bottom of the tank. I am guessing old age , but really no idea,, All other fish are fine and eating well..
I added a beautiful potters wrasse when i was over in Van for the frag swap .. I am really happy !!! he is eating like a pig on mysis , still no pellets though..

I also broke down and finally added some new coral frags to my tank after 1.5 years of lockdown .. lol Thanks Wayne for the new additions buddy !!

Anyway , 40g water changes every 2 weeks without fail , Burning through Calcuium reactor media like crazy .. Thinking my reactor is a little small for this much SPS ..

Still love the hobby and I am starting to think of a new tank for in 2 years ..
for now I am very please with the coral color i have maintained in my tank. I run no GFO , no Pellets and a simple amount of additives..

Little picture update .. Galaxy s6 , auto mod ...... need to borrow wayne's under water wonder camera

Old 07-20-2016, 06:21 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

Holy cow bud, your corals are looking awesome !!!

As for the fish thing ... I've had the same happen to me.
I was using some 'less than pure' calcium additive stuff and decided to flush it out of my system.
Took about 6 months before my system turned around.

Consider what you are adding to your water, and what is not being removed by either usage or water changes ...

Either way, your tank is looking spectacular bud
Lots of growth and filled in well.

Have you considered upping your lighting some more ?
I see your SPS are growing 'up'
I had that with mine. I cranked up the light timers and they started to grow sideways as well as up.

Last edited by gregzz4; 07-20-2016 at 06:23 AM.
Old 07-21-2016, 12:06 AM
Islander

reeferfulton is on a distinguished road

Thanks Gregg.

You know, I never really put much thought into the way my corals are growing up mostly. I always assumed I had plenty of light.
Currently 6 t5 bulbs plus 2 mitras pumping out full blues during peak time.
Maybe I could increase the duration the lights are on.

As for the fish . At the time of my first fish loss 6 months ago no livestock had been added to the tank in well over a year. It was a flame wrasse and he just stopped eating . Almost overnight one day.. all remaining fish showed no change . It took a few weeks but the wrasse didn't Make it.. months went by without any further loses so I assumed old age .. who knows. Nobody likes losing a favorite fish...

I keep my water changes very consistent. Roughly 40g every 2 weeks. Wich is around 35 percent tank volume.
I don't dose random things. I stick to what I have been adding for years now.

Cheers