Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 12-12-2012, 12:43 AM

makana is on a distinguished road
Default Live rock cooking help

I have some rock that I have been cooking in a tub for 8 weeks now. Every week the nitrate is 15 when I test before the w/c. There is nothing coming off of or out of the rocks as far as detrius.

Should I just keep going? Will this eventually stop? Is it possible that the bacteria in the rock that deals with nitrate is gone? Would I be better off not doing the w/c to let the bacteria that feed off nitrate rebuild if that is the case?

Livestock: clown fish, chromis, coral beauty.

Corals: Toadstool, maze brain, candy cane, mushrooms (purple & green hairy), button polyps, green zoas, GSP.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:10 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

Yup, just keep going and it will eventually go away
If you'd like to see this, test your tub water soon after the change, so you see some results
Swish/rinse the rocks in the old water before your WC

When I cooked mine, I did 100% changes weekly and it took about 3 months to go from 1.5 NO3 and 0.5 PO4 to zero on both

You're not hurting any significant levels of bacteria by changing the water as they reside in the rock, not the water column

The bacteria that feed on ammonia, nitrite and nitrate will always be there, and their numbers will rise and fall with the levels, so no worries about them not being present

What kit are you using for nitrates, and how old is it ?
Are you testing for phosphates ?
Are you using a heater and powerhead in your tub ?
Do you have something over the tub to block light ?

Last edited by gregzz4; 12-12-2012 at 01:13 AM.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:30 AM

The rock is in a rubermaid tub with the lid on but not sealed. There is a heater and a mj1200 in the tub. I use api test kits, opened a new one a couple of weeks ago. I havn't tested for phosphates yet, was waiting for a zero reading on nitrates.

Its good to know it took you 3 months. I was expecting about two months so I was starting to wonder what was going on.

Corals: Toadstool, maze brain, candy cane, mushrooms (purple & green hairy), button polyps, green zoas, GSP.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:38 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

Sounds like you're doing it all well
I also used a MJ with the lid slightly open, and used the airline with the little ball valve to add some air to the tub for gas exchange. Not sure if it made a difference, but I'm sure it didn't hurt

You probably should be testing for phosphates as well
Seeing nitrates drop to zero will give you an indication of when the rock is finished cycling, but you want to see and end to PO4 leaching as well if you don't want any nuisance algae in your DT

Are you using RO water ?
Have you read Myka's write-up on cooking ?

Last edited by gregzz4; 12-12-2012 at 01:42 AM.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:42 AM

Ro/di water. It has been a while but i have read Myaka's guide along with most of the guides out there. For some reason I was expecting that the end of the detrius being pushed out of the rock would be the end of the cooking. I was surprised to see the nitrate issue. As far as I know live rock can't store or leech nitrate so I don't really understand where the nitrate is coming from. Its nice to know it is normal but it would help if I had some idea of where the nitrates are coming from in this situation.

Old 12-12-2012, 03:03 AM

intarsiabox is on a distinguished road

Nitrates are from the organic material on the rock decomposing. Having the exact same reading after 8 weeks and doing weekly water changes is possible but it could also be that you have a bad test kit. Try testing your ro water with the kit, it should not have any reading what so ever.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:13 AM

I had the same results with the old test kit, new test kit is only two weeks old.

This week I actually tested my ro/di water and tested it again after mixing my salt for 24 hours for doing the w/c on my display last night. Both read 0.

I just tested phosphate in the cooking tub to be zero with a hagen and api test kit.

What I don't understand is that if there is organic matter being turned into nitrate, should the rock not be spitting out detrius?

Old 12-12-2012, 03:22 AM

Okay, I just checked nitrate with an older hagen test kit and it reads 20.

Old 12-12-2012, 03:34 AM

intarsiabox is on a distinguished road

The solution to nitrate is dilution. How much water are changing each week? You may have to do a 100% water change and then start doing daily water changes for awhile. After a week of this check it again. Sometimes it just takes awhile but it will eventually work out for you.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:43 AM

100% w/c every week for the last 8 weeks