Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal > Canreef Nano Tank Build Contest #2

Old 04-14-2009, 07:25 PM

michika is on a distinguished road
Default Contest #2

Can we all start discussing this?

I want in on it this time around!

I'd also like to propose the following changes;

1) that you don't have to use a stock tank, you can build something, but we use a max number of gallons/liters. Proof can be provided with photos and a ruler or measuring tape.

2) encorporate any feedback that the original entrants have to offer
Old 04-14-2009, 07:33 PM

rocketlily is on a distinguished road

No comments yet, but I want to follow along on this one.
Old 04-14-2009, 07:37 PM

Canuckgod420 is on a distinguished road

did I miss something?

What contest are we talking about?
180G tank, custom DIY stand, Sunlight Supply-Sun Blaze 48" 8 bulb T5HO fixture, EuroReef CS6-1 and Vertex in 180 skimmers, 1/4 HP chiller, Tunze wavebox, 40G sump, and 40G refugium. http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57451
Old 04-14-2009, 07:45 PM

This is for the Canreef Nano Contest. Here is a link to the original one.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:00 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Shorter deadline, six months is too long for a nano IMO, and less constraints would be good. Perhaps limit total system volume and nothing else
Old 04-14-2009, 09:06 PM

I like that suggestion.

So by shorter deadline, are you thinking like 3 months, 4 months?

E.g. build a tank with a budget of XXX that does not exceed a total system volume of 50g? Is that what you're thinking?
Old 04-14-2009, 09:15 PM

I agree with a shorter running time, but a longer preparation, building tank time. I also don't think a Nano contest should be done during the summer due to heating issues, unless you are allowing tying in to your main system. Isn't a nano traditionally under 20 gal?
Old 04-14-2009, 09:18 PM

Depends on your definition of what the nano is. Is it just the display tank, or is it the total system volume?

What would you suggest then? 2 months for prep & build, and 2 months for the system to mature?

I personally don't care if we run it in the summer or not because I don't have heat issues. However, it is something to take into consideration.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:27 PM

GreenSpottedPuffer is an unknown quantity at this point

I would probably be in as long as it DOES have a budget and is say 30G and under. Otherwise its kind of pointless to have a contest with no rules, especially with no budget. And as long as I can build my own tank

I think something like a month to prepare equipment and then a few months to add livestock at which point adding livestock/equipment is done and then a few more months to mature as is. Kind of like a 'trade' deadline for pro sports where after a certain point, you are competing with what you have got and no more added. Then people can actually focus on their livestock instead of changing the tank constantly. So maybe 6 months...1 month prep, 2 months of stocking and then 3 months to mature as is. Personally I would like to see two deadlines...one at a month in where no more equipment is to be added (unless something breaks and it can be replaced with the SAME thing) and then one two months later where no more livestock is added (even if something dies as that is part of the contest or the rule could be that you can replace it with the SAME species, either way would work).

We need to make these things a challenge rather than just another tank build.

And maybe a theme HAS to be given/explained from the start and stuck to or you loose points. See who can actually make an idea come to life kind of thing.

I just think the less amount of rules you have for these things, the more boring the contest gets. If there are no rules other than tank size, then its not a contest really. Its just another TOTM kind of thing. Whats the point?

Last edited by GreenSpottedPuffer; 04-14-2009 at 09:32 PM.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:33 PM

"Depends on your definition of what the nano is. Is it just the display tank, or is it the total system volume?"
Interesting point. Something that should be definately laid out in the rules very, very clearly.

"What would you suggest then? 2 months for prep & build, and 2 months for the system to mature?"
I would suggest that to start 2 months of chatter would be needed to get all the rules set first so there are no changes or special allowances needed during the contest. 2 months would probably be enough time for those wanting to do a very special build. I think though a tank needs at least 4 months to start to mature and look good.

"I personally don't care if we run it in the summer or not because I don't have heat issues. However, it is something to take into consideration."This would be totally up to those who are willing to put their time into running the contest.