Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 11-21-2013, 01:07 AM

SmallFry is on a distinguished road
Default Chemistry Issues..

Hello Everyone..

I have something a little odd going on chemistry-wise.. I was trying to get to the bottom of why my two bubble tip anemones were spending a fair bit of the time deflated and wouldn't eat, so I did a full set of tests on the water, which I don't usually do (with about two coral frags, calcium is not really something I worry about a lot)..

Anyway, here's what I got:
pH 7.8
Alk 5dKH
Calcium ~880ppm!

I thought my test kits were off, so I tested a fresh batch of water (reef crystals) which seemed reasonable:

Alk 10dKH
Calcium 480ppm

Seems like the test kits aren't too far off. I'd noticed the alkalinity being low before, and raised it with baking soda, but it has obviously dropped again (a lot).
I don't have enough corals to be using any real quantity of calcium or alkalinity, but I have been noticing the venturi on the skimmer clogging a lot recently - I don't know if that's relevant or not.

I am wondering if there is something strange going on with my DIY rock, it seems to be breaking up a little. It has been in there about 18 months I think and was cured before it went in there. My thought is that the rock is leaching a huge amount of calcium which is then precipitating out and taking the alkalinity out with it. Before I go and replace all my rock, does this sound reasonable, likely or possible?

Thanks in advance..
Rob.
Old 11-21-2013, 01:09 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Pretty sure that test value is wrong. at that pm, your Ca would precipitate. Something in the water could be affecting test results.
Old 11-21-2013, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
Pretty sure that test value is wrong. at that pm, your Ca would precipitate. Something in the water could be affecting test results.
I see your point, I thought the test was wrong too, the test on the fresh batch of water is what got me thinking again.
I hadn't considered something else in the aquarium water could be affecting the results. What that might be is an interesting and a little worrying question though..
Old 11-21-2013, 06:50 AM
Vendor

eli@fijireefrock.com is on a distinguished road

The presipitation or the extra calcium is in your system as you can see it from the pump impeller taking the Alk with it.
If your rock is breaking apart as this is for sure adding calcium and other impurities from the cement mix.
Possibly ****y off your bubble tip.
Old 11-22-2013, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eli@fijireefrock.com View Post
The presipitation or the extra calcium is in your system as you can see it from the pump impeller taking the Alk with it.
If your rock is breaking apart as this is for sure adding calcium and other impurities from the cement mix.
Possibly ****y off your bubble tip.
After looking more in detail into the exact contents of cement, I'm thinking I'll pull the rock and go for a more natural alternative. It's going to be a pain but I think in the long run it'll be worth it. I've never been that happy with the look of the stuff anyway. Biggest worry will be persuading two anemones and a clam to move house...
Old 11-22-2013, 06:01 PM
acanthastrea freak

Skimmerking is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Skimmerking Send a message via MSN to Skimmerking

i will help ya out man bring them over to my tank. and Buy the rock from Elie its amazing the same stuff I had in my 240 gal.....
Old 11-23-2013, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skimmer King View Post
i will help ya out man bring them over to my tank. and Buy the rock from Elie its amazing the same stuff I had in my 240 gal.....
Thanks!

I'm hoping that they'll hang on until the new rock arrives - it's on order, you're right it looks like good stuff.

So far I don't know that they're in imminent danger, I've just got to get this chemistry/rock thing under control. The clam seems oblivious to it all...
I've also had Montipora Eating Nudibranchs take out all my Montipora a few months back and I'd rather loose the anemones than potentially spread that to someone else's tank..

It would be great to get some help with getting them off the rocks though, I've never tried moving a clam before, normally I'd transfer him rock and all but in this case that isn't an option...