Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 10-24-2012, 02:49 AM

makana is on a distinguished road

The watchman goby did not survive long. It developed sores and died. It seemed to be out swimming around at the lfs but just hid in my tank. I had to target feed because it would not come out for food.

I have added a crocea clam, maze brain, candy cane frag, and gsp. I have had a real challenge with light acclimation and I think a lot of my corals have struggled with that. My open brain was doing fantastic since day one. Then I switched the bulb to a phoenix last year and I still don't know if it is recovering or slowly getting worse. The red tissue developed green spots that turned almost clear.

The maze brain has done great since I put it in. It has grown a lot from the frag I bought a year ago. The candy cane was up and down a lot for the longest time. Sometimes it would look deflated, like the skeleton was about to break through. It finally adapted to the tank and is now doing great. In the last few weeks it has begun developing another head. The xenia had turned into a small forest that the clown fish called home until I added an urchin with a fondness for wearing xenia. Now it is a little sparse but should come back.

Livestock: clown fish, chromis, coral beauty.

Corals: Toadstool, maze brain, candy cane, mushrooms (purple & green hairy), button polyps, green zoas, GSP.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:52 AM

At some point I added a toadstool that seemed to rot around a spot on the stem. I eventually fragged the head and cut off the rot. There are 3 frags from that currently growning in the tank.

Current stock list: Clown fish, purple fire fish, green chromis, blue tuxedo urchin, peppermint shrimp, crocea clam, GSP, xenia, open brain, maze brain, candy cane, toadstool, hermits, turbo snails, nassarius snails.

Corals: Toadstool, maze brain, candy cane, mushrooms (purple & green hairy), button polyps, green zoas, GSP.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:55 AM

Now the pictures.

Old 10-24-2012, 02:58 AM

The urchin pushed the clam off about a week ago and now the clam won't grab on. I don't know if the clam is damaged and can't or just won't. Every couple days I find the clam pushed over again, often the urchin is still up there so I know it pushed the clam over again. The clam seems to be doing fine anyway, lots of growth on the shell, extends the mantle nicely.

Hopefully this doesn't cause long term issues of it.

I'm trying to figure out where I want all the corals to go long term. Any suggestions on where I should place the candy cane? Obviously the brains stay on the sand. I need a good location for a toadstool to grow up in as well. The upper portion of the tank I would like to have some SPS in if I ever get the algae issue taken care of. So if anyone can offer suggestions on corals that would go good and where in tank (possibly marked in the FTS), they should go I am all ears. It seems like some of the nicest tanks had the corals picked out for the locations and where just left to grow. I find with my level of experience I end up having to move them around trying to find a place that they tolerate.

Last edited by makana; 10-24-2012 at 03:05 AM.