Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 09-05-2012, 03:48 AM

gridley is on a distinguished road
Default Placement of Powerheads?

I am still in the process of doing the final set up of my tank. We have three powerheads - 2 MP 10s (which I have set to a master/slave setting) and a Korilia 3. Our desire is to eventually have a mixed reef. The tank is 90g 48X18X24.

Right now I have the Korilia 3 placed to provide flow along the back wall, behind the majority of the rock. I have placed the two MP 10s towards the front of the tank, one about 15" above the substrate, the other about 11" above.

What would be the prefered placement of the powerheads in a tank of my dimensions?

Thanks
90g mixed reef (eventually!); 23g sump; 20g QT; Waveline DC-5000 return; 2 Radions; 2 Vortech MP10s; Koralia 3; ELOS ATO with 14g ATO tank; RLSS R8 skimmer; BRS reactor - GFO/Carbon; filter socks; Puratek RO/DI
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=85303
Old 09-05-2012, 03:54 AM

Lampshade is on a distinguished road

Depends on rock placement a lot, I have my rock in islands in the center of the tank. I point one large power head across the front of the display, and one across the back. My smaller power heads i use for trying to keep some flow through my rocks. This seems to work for me, the small powerheads kick up detritus from rock work, and the large power heads keep the detritus suspended in the water until it's taken by the overflow.

It took months of adjsutment, and i still play with them frequently when i notice area's with little flow
Old 09-05-2012, 07:06 PM

DanG is on a distinguished road

If the MP10's are working together, I'd have them aimed right at each other and on alternating pulses to create a wave like action.