Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 06-09-2012, 04:00 AM

SmallFry is on a distinguished road
Default Wrasse(s) hiding/missing

Ive read before that wrasse are inclined to hide for a while after being introduced to a tank, is it normal though for them to do this when other fish are added to the tank?

I added a Coral Beauty and a Kole Tang to the main tank on the weekend. I didn't notice any aggression but the next day I noticed that the two wrasse were hanging around up in the corner up by the power head. A day later I didn't see the flasher wrasse but the ruby headed fairy wrasse was still out and about. It's now Friday and I haven't seen either for about three or four days. I have lids on the tank and can't see any evidence of them having jumped? I could se one jumping or just dying, but two at once?

I am thinking or rather hoping that they're just hiding rather than anything else.

How long can they stay in hiding for - I haven't seen either at feeding time and the tank is new so unless they're finding uneaten food when the lights are out they haven't eaten...
Old 06-09-2012, 10:43 PM

daniella3d is on a distinguished road

I have a leopard wrasse that hide for 2 days straight, without even coming for feeding. Today she's out to feed but I never know how long she's going to sleep after that.

They can go hiding for a few days sometimes, it's not uncommon.
Old 06-10-2012, 01:51 AM

SmallFry is on a distinguished road

Good to know I'm not the only one with antisocial fish..!

I went on the prowl with a flashlight late last night or early this morning and saw the flasher wrasse lurking at the entrance to one of the caves undervthe rock work. No sign of the fairy wrasse but I guess he just had a better hiding spot.

I'm still not sure why they got so timid all of a sudden, they were out most of the time before the new fish so I guess that's the root of it. I just hope they get it out of their system soon - no point in pretty fish if you never see them!