Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 04-11-2021, 01:09 PM

dino is on a distinguished road

this is called a discussion. we barely get enough posts on this site . I say lets talk. whats it to you? anyway I agree supply and demand to be honest corals are no different. if people are willing to pay an amount then no harm in trying to sell for that if its "market value". im not saying we should be dishonest or rip people off though.
Old 04-11-2021, 02:39 PM

blaster is on a distinguished road

Being out of the hobby for 6 years i was thinking fish prices now are crazy.Is this a result of covid?People could sell there stuff for whatever price they want.Is someone wants it bad enough they will buy it overpriced or not
Old 04-11-2021, 03:33 PM

Torontotraders is on a distinguished road

I agree with ‘dino.’ As long as the costs are relevant to the market, there’s no need in going overboard with what people charge for their yellows, or any other fish. I just got back into the hobby less than a year ago, after being away for over twenty years. So I too was quite surprised at the costs associated with the marine world. But none the less, I’m of the mindset that we are paying for a life, not some hood ornament. Without getting all existential, I think it is well worth what we are paying for our animals these days-that’s just me though And again, like Dino said, as long as we ask fair market price, and it falls in line with value it would be considered fair; right now value is set by the stores as a result of demand. And unfair would be cost above the asking price of the stores.

By the way, this discussion is-not and was-not in anyway meant to be disrespectful in anyway shape or form! It’s open, transparent, and simply based on my, and others opinions and views. We are adults and hopefully we can learn from one another or at the very least, have a better understanding of how we each feel and/or view our current hobby/passion.

Perhaps it’s incentive for us to figure out a way to tank raise fish that are more hardy and healthy than what is currently being offered in the tang world. Science is never exact, there’s always room for improvement.
Old 04-11-2021, 04:19 PM
Darth Moderator

WarDog will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino View Post
this is called a discussion. we barely get enough posts on this site . I say lets talk. whats it to you?
Agreed, no rules are being broken here.

This thread actually gives me a giggle, considering the OP recently shut down his tank and left the hobby.

Yellow Tang prices are ridiculous. I have snorkeled in Hawaii and they are everywhere in huge numbers, definately a rat of the seas. Perhaps when captive bred numbers increase, the price will hopefully drop.

But selling a fish you paid $50 for a few years ago for current market price is disgusting, and shows your true colours.

Last edited by WarDog; 04-11-2021 at 04:27 PM.
Old 04-11-2021, 05:15 PM

Hadiosbourne is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarDog View Post
Agreed, no rules are being broken here.

This thread actually gives me a giggle, considering the OP recently shut down his tank and left the hobby.

Yellow Tang prices are ridiculous. I have snorkeled in Hawaii and they are everywhere in huge numbers, definately a rat of the seas. Perhaps when captive bred numbers increase, the price will hopefully drop.

But selling a fish you paid $50 for a few years ago for current market price is disgusting, and shows your true colours.
I do not agree on this, if you bought Bitcoin a few years ago for $1000 and now it’s $70000, you not gonna sell it for $1000 now, right? You’ll sell it for the current market price and use the money to buy other stuff which their price also gone up or you couldn’t afford before
Old 04-11-2021, 08:01 PM
Darth Moderator

WarDog will become famous soon enough

Except that you know going in that you are buying a Bitcoin as an investment.

I'm talking about an animal we keep as a pet. I wouldn't sell my dogs for profit just because dog prices have skyrocketed in the last year also.
Old 04-11-2021, 09:57 PM

cyber_ecco is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to cyber_ecco

To be fair if he sells it for what he paid ($50 or whatever) you know someone will buy it and just try to re sell it for $300. For me personally Im more concerned that it goes to a good home than the $$, but everyone is different and free to do what they want.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Old 04-12-2021, 01:09 AM

Ryan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzz4 View Post
Maybe some fish are worth $200 or even $300, but not fish that used to be $75.00

I would not pay what others are asking for a fish that may be 'hard to find' right now.
Prices may come down. Who knows.

If you're desperate for a fish go ahead and pay a stupid price.
Otherwise, you're paying someone who is taking advantage of the market.

$300.00 for a yellow tang used to be the price for an Achilles Tang.
J&L sells Yellows for under $100.00, and even $50.00 if small.
Although not listed, why do peeps think a Yellow is worth so much now?

This is their most recent fish pricing list

F-7315A Tang - Blonde Naso Tang (2.5-3.5 Inch IO) Naso elegans 2.5-3.5 Inch IO 4 $81.45
F-7052 Tang - Chocolate Tang (2-3 Inch PI) Acanthurus pyroferus 2-3 Inch PI 3 $43.45
F-7150A Tang - Hippo (Blue) Tang (1-2 Inch PI) Paracanthurus hepatus 1-2 Inch PI 15 $75.95
F-7150B Tang - Hippo (Blue) Tang (2-4 Inch PI) Paracanthurus hepatus 2-4 Inch PI 18 $103.95
F-7300B Tang - Naso Tang (3.5-7 Inch PI) Naso lituratus 3.5-7 Inch PI 3 $91.95
F-7365A Tang - Powder Brown Tang (2-4 Inch PI) Acanthurus japonicus 2-4 Inch PI 1 $90.45
F-7380 Tang - Purple Tang (All Sizes RS) Zebrasoma xanthurum All Sizes RS 2 $190.45
F-7400A Tang - Sailfin Tang (2-3.5 Inch PI) Zebrasoma veliferum 2-3.5 Inch PI 1 $66.95
F-7450A Tang - Scopas Tang (2-3.5 Inch PI) Zebrasoma scopas 2-3.5 Inch PI 1 $59.45
F-7500A Tang - Tomini Tang (1.5-3.5 Inch PI) Ctenochaetus tominiensis 1.5-3.5 Inch PI 3 $68.95
You should be happy. I was in Calgary last week.
Flame Angels $200
Yellow Tangs $500
Purple Tang $350

Heck even wild type true percula clowns were $60

I am looking for some high end fish that aren't common to come by. Part of me is glad they are rare because I don't think I could afford them right now.
Old 04-12-2021, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaster View Post
Being out of the hobby for 6 years i was thinking fish prices now are crazy.Is this a result of covid?People could sell there stuff for whatever price they want.Is someone wants it bad enough they will buy it overpriced or not
It started with the indo ban, prices went up. Then covid made the animals hard to go out and collect, now its hard to get air space for fish and when they do get the space the airlines are charging a premium. I don't mind paying higher prices for quality livestock, my issue is an increase in prices and a lack of quality in the stores. J&L is probably the one I trust the most when it comes to buying high end fish. I don't trust any brick and mortar retail store in Southern Alberta at this point except maybe Ocean Creation. The rest don't seem to give a darn about the fish or the quality going out.

Ontop of that, there is western influence. The collectors in these areas have realized what they were collecting for pennies was selling for hundred of dollars. Now they have caught onto the rare fish and bright coral game. We are also seeing alot less wild coral being collected and more mariculture, and aquaculture corals. Even then I remember when red coral would sell colonies for $50 on the boxing day pre order then were $60 or $70 each when in the store.
Old 04-12-2021, 01:45 AM

I have been thinking of something else that could be why prices are so high. Liquid income. Anyone who has been in this hobby for more than 6 months knows how easy it is to make money off your tank and how quickly you can make it.

With my old tank it was nothing to sell $1000 worth of frags a month in 1 maybe 2 trips to Calgary. Thats $12,000 a year to spend on my tank and I would guess $1000 of that is supplies and $2400 in New inventory. That leaves $6600 a year to spend on new fish, new gear, or in my case I would spend it on my family.

My point is when you have thousands of dollars in liquid cash burning a hole in your pocket, who cares if the tank is $400; if you want it, buy it.