Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 04-11-2021, 03:29 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough
Default Fish pricing is out of control

Maybe some fish are worth $200 or even $300, but not fish that used to be $75.00

I would not pay what others are asking for a fish that may be 'hard to find' right now.
Prices may come down. Who knows.

If you're desperate for a fish go ahead and pay a stupid price.
Otherwise, you're paying someone who is taking advantage of the market.

$300.00 for a yellow tang used to be the price for an Achilles Tang.
J&L sells Yellows for under $100.00, and even $50.00 if small.
Although not listed, why do peeps think a Yellow is worth so much now?

This is their most recent fish pricing list

F-7315A Tang - Blonde Naso Tang (2.5-3.5 Inch IO) Naso elegans 2.5-3.5 Inch IO 4 $81.45
F-7052 Tang - Chocolate Tang (2-3 Inch PI) Acanthurus pyroferus 2-3 Inch PI 3 $43.45
F-7150A Tang - Hippo (Blue) Tang (1-2 Inch PI) Paracanthurus hepatus 1-2 Inch PI 15 $75.95
F-7150B Tang - Hippo (Blue) Tang (2-4 Inch PI) Paracanthurus hepatus 2-4 Inch PI 18 $103.95
F-7300B Tang - Naso Tang (3.5-7 Inch PI) Naso lituratus 3.5-7 Inch PI 3 $91.95
F-7365A Tang - Powder Brown Tang (2-4 Inch PI) Acanthurus japonicus 2-4 Inch PI 1 $90.45
F-7380 Tang - Purple Tang (All Sizes RS) Zebrasoma xanthurum All Sizes RS 2 $190.45
F-7400A Tang - Sailfin Tang (2-3.5 Inch PI) Zebrasoma veliferum 2-3.5 Inch PI 1 $66.95
F-7450A Tang - Scopas Tang (2-3.5 Inch PI) Zebrasoma scopas 2-3.5 Inch PI 1 $59.45
F-7500A Tang - Tomini Tang (1.5-3.5 Inch PI) Ctenochaetus tominiensis 1.5-3.5 Inch PI 3 $68.95
Old 04-11-2021, 04:17 AM

kapow! is on a distinguished road

Tomini price has gone down, it was $70+ last week.
Old 04-11-2021, 04:44 AM

Torontotraders is on a distinguished road

With all due respect. Isn't that the way things are today? I don't think houses across Canada are worth a (at least) million bucks for something just 6 months to 3 years ago was worth anywhere from 20 to 50 percent less.

Supply and demand dictate the buying pressure on any specific item that you or myself might or might not agree with. Yellow (wild) tangs are (at least for now) simply at a point where the supply chain has been cut off, and therefore cause a rise in demand. You may not want one, but others might, even if, at one time, they were considered the 'rabbits' of the tang world, that is no longer the case.

If we lived in a world where we thought certain things should remain at the value of yesterday, food prices would not be going up, housing prices wouldn't be going up, and my stocks would remain stationary. No matter what I/you think about the cost of what a fish may be worth, I'm not going to think less of someone else because we chose to sell our fish for more, or chose to buy one that we can't find (any longer) for a premium. What someone considers expensive, another will purchase because they feel it is worth it to them! Hence the reason why housing prices are skyrocketing. That's not desperation, thats supply, and demand - If we don't like it, we stay out of the market and wait for a possible change.

By the way, the reason why Achilles are at a premium is the exact same relative reason. They are not an easy fish to get, although for a different reason the principles are the same
Old 04-11-2021, 04:53 AM

Alm is on a distinguished road

Due to recent events j&l is selling them for the same if not more than everyone else..ALL livestock is disgustingly expensive now.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
Old 04-11-2021, 05:01 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torontotraders View Post
With all due respect. Isn't that the way things are today? I don't think houses across Canada are worth a (at least) million bucks for something just 6 months to 3 years ago was worth anywhere from 20 to 50 percent less.

Supply and demand dictate the buying pressure on any specific item that you or myself might or might not agree with. Yellow (wild) tangs are (at least for now) simply at a point where the supply chain has been cut off, and therefore cause a rise in demand. You may not want one, but others might, even if, at one time, they were considered the 'rabbits' of the tang world, that is no longer the case.

If we lived in a world where we thought certain things should remain at the value of yesterday, food prices would not be going up, housing prices wouldn't be going up, and my stocks would remain stationary. No matter what I/you think about the cost of what a fish may be worth, I'm not going to think less of someone else because we chose to sell our fish for more, or chose to buy one that we can't find (any longer) for a premium. What someone considers expensive, another will purchase because they feel it is worth it to them! Hence the reason why housing prices are skyrocketing. That's not desperation, thats supply, and demand - If we don't like it, we stay out of the market and wait for a possible change.

By the way, the reason why Achilles are at a premium is the exact same relative reason. They are not an easy fish to get, although for a different reason the principles are the same
So with all due respect back to you ...

If an Achilles Tang used to be $400, or $500, but is now only $100 because of lack of demand, would you sell it for $100.00, or for $450.00 - $500.00 ????

Because a Yellow Tang is now in demand, are you going to try to make money selling the one you have in your tank?

I Gave Away my Yellow Tang last year as I wasn't sure what issue it had. It had a bacterial infection. I had the fish for over 5 years.
Should I have attempted to sell it for stupid money, or lie to buyers ... ?
Could I have tried to get Hundreds of dollars for it? Sure.
Would I have felt right doing so? No.

I gave it away for FREE because I wasn't sure what issue the new owner would have.
Old 04-11-2021, 05:37 AM

Animal-Chin is on a distinguished road

I used to buy air jordans for $50 and now they’re $400 for the same ones. So I don’t buy them, that’s my choice. I used to buy yellow tangs for $50 and now they’re $400 so I don’t buy them, that’s y choice too. I wear adidas and have wrasses. I’m fine with that. Just the way things work.
Old 04-11-2021, 06:02 AM

Hadiosbourne is on a distinguished road

It’s not about the demand, it’s about the supply, the JL will not bring yellows anytime soon because Hawaii banned their export.
Do essentially they are impossible to find and they also said it’s gonna be around $400 if anyone can find them, so it’s essentially like buying a Gem tang, cause they are hard to find/catch.
Old 04-11-2021, 06:12 AM

kapow! is on a distinguished road

I Wish we have more lfs in the Vancouver,New West and Burnaby area. I remember when I started this hobby, I would drive to Ocean Aquatics, Big als, petcetera,king eds, j&l and theres also a pet store in new west on Columbia, just to look at what’s on sale.
Old 04-11-2021, 06:39 AM

Torontotraders is on a distinguished road

Maybe I didn't explain properly.

If an Achilles tang used to be 400 to 500 or even 100,000.00. it still doesn't change the logic. If they all of a sudden flooded the market, I'm quite sure they would be worth $25. That's what supply is about! So no matter what I thought it was worth before, the market dictated that is now worth $25, I would either be forced to keep it, or if I had to sell it, it would now be at market value; $25...

Whether or not you sold your tang is irrelevant. YOU chose to do what you felt was best for you! I've given away meds, fish, and supplies in the past, all that too is irrelevant! It was your choice to do with your property that you felt you needed at that time, as it was my choice to do with my supplies that I felt I was needed at the time - I purchased my med from the states, so they were NOT easy to come by, but I wanted to help fellow reefers.

So in conclusion - I am going to sell what I feel is fair market value, and if the receiver feels it is fair, they are going to pay for it.

The issue I have right now is this??? Why is it bothering you what others are doing? if you are not interested in the market value - Yellow tangs are not available, so, therefore, it shouldn't affect you, because you can't get one anyway unless you were willing the pay fair market value? What it seems to me is you want a tang, but are not willing to pay the price..I could be wrong, but if I'm not willing to pay for something, I simply walk away, and/or wait until I get something I am willing to pay for! Trying to condemn others for what they feel their property, items, etc are worth, isn't going to change things! In the states, Yellow tangs are going for about $400 USD...You either shake your head or buy them..That's about it in my opinion...

I for one don't mind paying extra because lower prices contribute to the raping of our oceans - That is just my opinion. It's not as nice as we think it is out there. This is our entertainment, and it comes at a cost. Watch (Netflix) Seaspiracy.

Last edited by Torontotraders; 04-11-2021 at 06:46 AM.
Old 04-11-2021, 07:02 AM

Chuckvandam is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Chuckvandam Send a message via AIM to Chuckvandam

Mods plz delete...this is in violation and a waist of time, plz respect the forum and keep to the rules

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk