Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 05-07-2008, 10:47 PM

mark is on a distinguished road

Just trying to understand things as not above taking someone else's ideas for my own use.

Having the overflow going into the reservoir, might have an issue of detritus settling out. I've tee'd off one of my drains into a separate refugium and since no filter sock, skimmer etc and BB, know it builds up so forced to siphon it out everyone and a while.

Reason asking about the standpipe is am interested in running a Herbie without an overflow chamber. Like the idea so I've played around with a 33g and a 1" bulkhead and seemed to work okay. Biggest thing was getting the height of the standpipe correct so the water level was where I wanted it. With only ~230gph found I had to have the standpipe 2.875" lower than the bottom of the trim (final level was going for). I had suface agitation and still worked okay but nothing like a surge device.
Old 05-07-2008, 11:17 PM

cole004 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark View Post
Just trying to understand things as not above taking someone else's ideas for my own use.

Having the overflow going into the reservoir, might have an issue of detritus settling out. I've tee'd off one of my drains into a separate refugium and since no filter sock, skimmer etc and BB, know it builds up so forced to siphon it out everyone and a while.

Reason asking about the standpipe is am interested in running a Herbie without an overflow chamber. Like the idea so I've played around with a 33g and a 1" bulkhead and seemed to work okay. Biggest thing was getting the height of the standpipe correct so the water level was where I wanted it. With only ~230gph found I had to have the standpipe 2.875" lower than the bottom of the trim (final level was going for). I had suface agitation and still worked okay but nothing like a surge device.
I'm with you there.. I don't think any off these ideas are mine just reused in a different way.

I do plan on running a filter sock as well but I don't know where, the reservior sounds like a good place. on my test with a full load of water the noise level was great, When I spoke with Mike at Hidden Reef he felt that the 1.5 inch pipe would be large enough to eliminate any noise issue without having to install some type of silencer. It works well, but like I said that was with a Mag 5, not the Mag 18 I plan on using.

Equip - 90G, 20G Sump, Coralife Super Skimmer 65, Drilled mag 18 return, Closed loop[ w/ Mag 5, 2 Hydor Flow - Rotating Water Deflector and Wave Maker, 2 Hydor Koralia1 & 1 Hydor Koralia3. 40bls live rock, 2 48" Aqualight PFO w/ T8's

Livestock - flame angel, yellow tang. maroon clown, blue devil damsel, 5 b/g chromis - 3 Anthelia, 1 feather dusters, 3 hairy mushrooms, watermelon mushroom, many crabs & snails

Last edited by cole004; 05-08-2008 at 01:05 AM.
Old 05-11-2008, 07:52 PM

A few updates-

Attached pond liner to the underside and back of the stand to prevent any water or salt damage to walls and cartpet under tank. wife really liked this idea, she even help move the tank onto the liner and stapled the back piece.

Filled the tank with ro water.

The sign of a build going well

Does anyone else have issues keeping things tidy in the work shop?.

Equip - 90G, 20G Sump, Coralife Super Skimmer 65, Drilled mag 18 return, Closed loop[ w/ Mag 5, 2 Hydor Flow - Rotating Water Deflector and Wave Maker, 2 Hydor Koralia1 & 1 Hydor Koralia3. 40bls live rock, 2 48" Aqualight PFO w/ T8's

Livestock - flame angel, yellow tang. maroon clown, blue devil damsel, 5 b/g chromis - 3 Anthelia, 1 feather dusters, 3 hairy mushrooms, watermelon mushroom, many crabs & snails
Old 05-11-2008, 07:57 PM

michika is on a distinguished road

Lots of problems here, you have to run the gauntlet to get anywhere in our place now. Although we have less pop cans, but more beer bottles.

I like how your build is going.
Old 05-11-2008, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michika View Post
Lots of problems here, you have to run the gauntlet to get anywhere in our place now. Although we have less pop cans, but more beer bottles.

I like how your build is going.
Thanks Michika, by the way... my beer bottle are in the fish room

Old 05-11-2008, 08:16 PM

michika is on a distinguished road

Good place for them! Ours wander freely around the house, occasionally found plotting against us in groups of 6, and most often found in the fridge.

Will you be doing a similar aquascape in your new system?
Old 05-11-2008, 09:23 PM

Yes Mich,
The aquascaping will be quite simlar to my 46 bow but with much more open space and a little more hieght

Old 05-12-2008, 04:34 AM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

swap those coke cans for diet pepsi and my stand build looks almost exactly like that!
Old 05-13-2008, 02:06 AM

Today's updates

Salt went in

Sump went under

Old 05-21-2008, 10:26 PM

Getting close to the finish fo the tank. Everything transfered nicely, no deaths. Just started the aquascaping and am waiting of new lights and mag 18 from chwkreefer this weekend.