Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 01-06-2022, 05:06 PM

Reef_kid is on a distinguished road
Default Tank of the month? Moderators?

Hey,
I've been around the block, been here yet silent for many years. But the silence must end. I feel Canreef needs to grow back into its former glory. It was amazing back in the day and I see it picking up again.

1) who are moderators , how do you become one. I've been a member 20 years (I was to young and not aloud to sign up before this haha).

2) What happened to take of the month????

3) is there a way to make a thread of all the past tank of the month?

Just a few questions maybe someone can answer? And help maybe with these?

Take care everyone! Happy Reefing
Jeremy David wade
@CanadianReefMaster on YouTube and Instagram
Old 01-06-2022, 08:33 PM

Odlin74 is on a distinguished road

I love this!
Yes! Let’s get Canreef back to it’s glory days.
Current Mod sucks
Old 01-06-2022, 09:40 PM
Darth Moderator

WarDog will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odlin74 View Post
Current Mod sucks
They sure do!
Old 01-09-2022, 07:12 AM

ReEf BoSs is on a distinguished road

Sometime this year im going to get back into the hobby. So yeah get this forum booming again ! 😂 Alright good night
Old 01-09-2022, 08:14 PM

The main page is a Tank of the month from september 2020, and the featured tank from 2017.
I am not sure if there is a way to update this.
Old 01-12-2022, 04:42 PM

Can moderators comment on how we can get things rolling again? I know they are probably busy.
Adding a few more moderators of people that want to update the forums?
we need to show some canreef pride.

How about everyone start by adding a picture in the tank of the month forum
Old 01-12-2022, 08:03 PM
Darth Moderator

There's no interest. We were doing POTM up until people stopped submitting. Mods are not spending hours writing code when no one participates.

Yes, this forum is so old, you still need to write code to moderate. So unless you have experience with vBulletin, we haven't bothered looking for new mods.

Tank of the Month was getting so hard to find, that we changed to Tank of the Quarter... and even that was proving a strain. Then there was the curse of the tank crashing right after being published. This happened several times.

We have no sponsors. Facebook took care of that years ago. Therefore this forum has no source of income. Sponsors can't even be bothered to advertise for free, when Facebook gives them better metrics. We are lucky the server is even still running.

We (the mods) were promised a new modern mobile friendly forum years ago by our Admin. He has been MIA for about 1½ years. He does that from time to time (family, work)... and why should he care when there is no hope for profit (due to social media)?

People can't be bothered to upload pictures. The Photobucket fiasco a few years back screwed that up. Lots of members lost access to hundreds of photos. And new members have a hard time learning how to upload pics, because this ain't Intagram or TikTok.

Basically this is just a Buy and Sell now.

I check in once a day, hoping for some drama to moderate but there is none. Lots of the old chatty members have departed. I approve new members usually once or twice a week if I remember.
Old 01-14-2022, 03:00 AM

corpusse is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarDog View Post
There's no interest. We were doing POTM up until people stopped submitting. Mods are not spending hours writing code when no one participates.

Yes, this forum is so old, you still need to write code to moderate. So unless you have experience with vBulletin, we haven't bothered looking for new mods.

Tank of the Month was getting so hard to find, that we changed to Tank of the Quarter... and even that was proving a strain. Then there was the curse of the tank crashing right after being published. This happened several times.

We have no sponsors. Facebook took care of that years ago. Therefore this forum has no source of income. Sponsors can't even be bothered to advertise for free, when Facebook gives them better metrics. We are lucky the server is even still running.

We (the mods) were promised a new modern mobile friendly forum years ago by our Admin. He has been MIA for about 1½ years. He does that from time to time (family, work)... and why should he care when there is no hope for profit (due to social media)?

People can't be bothered to upload pictures. The Photobucket fiasco a few years back screwed that up. Lots of members lost access to hundreds of photos. And new members have a hard time learning how to upload pics, because this ain't Intagram or TikTok.

Basically this is just a Buy and Sell now.

I check in once a day, hoping for some drama to moderate but there is none. Lots of the old chatty members have departed. I approve new members usually once or twice a week if I remember.
This sounds very similar to Reef Central - which btw has been down for several days without explanation. Although without the jerk moderation.

If social media killed forums why is Reef2Reef so popular? Other smaller forums like Humble.Fish are also seeing good growth. While you might be able to ask traditional newbie questions on facebook or even TikTok good luck doing a build thread on any of those platforms. The fact that reef tanks are journeys of several years or longer makes a forum setting the ideal platform to share compared to most of those other ones.

It sounds like lack of owner involvement is the biggest issue and probably lack of money.
Old 01-14-2022, 03:33 AM
Darth Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by corpusse View Post
It sounds like lack of owner involvement is the biggest issue and probably lack of money.
Bingo
Old 01-14-2022, 01:36 PM

Reef Pilot is on a distinguished road

Need to rekindle the hobby. Covid has kind of killed it, too, these last couple years. I still have my tanks, with same corals and fish (some 20+ years old now), but just staying status quo. Would like to get serious with the fancy SPS again though.

And I do think showing off your beautiful tanks inspires others.