Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Pictures

Old 05-29-2011, 07:55 PM

silentcivilian is on a distinguished road

http://www.facebook.com/v/10150201236458034 -- Manta Ray Dive

Old 05-29-2011, 08:00 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

That is so wicked. I wanted to do the nighttime Manta dive but got sooo sick when I was there (you can take the Calgarian out of the cold, but you can't take the cold out of the Calgarian). I was in peril of not being able to dive at all but the last weekend my sinuses had cleared out just enough to sneak in ONE dive with the guys before getting into that whole "no diving 24 hours before going on a plane" thing. Did see one Manta from the boat though, thing must have been 16 feet across just under the waves. Wowza.

Thanks for sharing these man, I'm jealous (I shouldn't be, but I am, haha).
Old 05-29-2011, 08:03 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about

Incidentally, the email notification for this thread showed a whole pile of picture links which don't seem to show up in the thread itself. Not sure what's up with that.
Old 05-29-2011, 11:40 PM

They should all be there now... I hope.. should be 16 pics laid out 2x8
Old 05-29-2011, 11:56 PM

I did some snorkeling today and got some fantastic pictures.. and we are snorkeling Captin cooks memorial soon, and that is rated the islands best snorkel place.. so I should have some amazing shots from that.. Just as a reference of depth.. that Long Fin Anthia (85ft), Stocky Hawkfish (1st shot: 65ft, 2nd shot: 90ft), Yellow Margin Moray Eel (95ft), view of the slope in garden eel cove (110ft)
Old 05-30-2011, 04:27 AM

Kealakekua Bay (where Captain Cook Memorial is) is a fantastic snorkeling spot, you'll like that. You'll probably be greeted by dolphins when you get there. The entrance to that bay is where some houses had to be sunk by the coast guard back in March since they had been swept off their foundations (thankfully only the houses were casualties in that), I guess it drops off very quickly and they are now sitting in 300' depth.

When I was there it was raining tonnes (not the in the bay itself but nearby) and the rocks on shore were literally weeping with freshwater and consequently there was a lot of intermix occlusion near the surface (had this in most snorkel spots when I was there), just had to dive down under it but when you're snorkeling you run out of air quicker .. Love snorkeling still but it's one more reason I want to do more diving from now on - get under that surface mixing layer and stay under long enough to see stuff! I don't have my ticket yet. Actually this trip was supposed to be where I could do my open water but that winter cold that pretty much dropped me to the ground unfortunately meant that had to be canceled. Oh well, a reason to go back some other year I guess.

Looking forward to more pics.
Old 05-30-2011, 05:00 AM

Old 05-30-2011, 05:56 AM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

those are some amazing pics mang....love the one of the arc eye hawk....and the orange shoulders are incredible.....
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694
Old 05-30-2011, 09:12 PM

The best one that I couldnt get a picture of was a black long nose butterfly fish. They are only black in Kona Hawaii. A aquarium even took one and introduced it to their tanks as the rare black.. only to have it turn back to a normal yellow long nose... Thing is.. shooting pictures of a timid black are exceedingly difficult in a tough surging water..
Old 05-30-2011, 09:48 PM

lorenz0 is on a distinguished road

I hate that camera!

looks like your enjoying all the local joys