Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 12-31-2014, 05:49 AM

Ranchu50 is on a distinguished road
Default Ranchu's RSM 250 - 65 gallon

December 30, 2014
Not sure if anyone would actually read this, but i figure I'll start a tank journal.

I've been in the aquarium hobby since I was a kid, when my dad had a small fish tank for me and my sisters.

We started with red ear slider turtles. They were really neat to have as a kid. but i remember they were too much work for my dad.

Then i remember vaguely having small fish tanks with community fish. We had goldfish from night markets, and then of course the Betta fish.

At one point, we had the fish tank in the backyard after he shut down the tank. My friends and i went to the local swamp in Coquitlam where the Town Centre stadium is today and caught minnows and tadpoles. Of course none of them survived.

When i started working, I went into the classifieds section in about 1998 and i bought myself a 33 gallon tank, Petcetera brand for a steal. i raised all sorts of freshwater fish, including Angels, Plecos, Red tail sharks etc.

After I moved out and got my own home, I left the fish tank with my dad. It is still up and running today, over 15 years later.

In 2006 I got the itch to start an aquarium again. This time around, I fell in love with the Ranchu goldfish. The way it waddles as it swims with no top fin, still entertains me today. These guys had personality and I felt were quite the characters. i guess this is where I made up the Forum name "Ranchu"

After having kids, life got busy and my Lil Ranchus died after about 5 years.

i shut down my tank, and moved homes again.

This is when a friend of mine, Jus68 talked me back into the hobby, but this time around, into Reef tanks. Jus68 talked on and on about how non complicated reef tanks can be. it boggled my mind and felt like a lot of information at first.
But eventually, I cracked and I went out, and found a good deal on an Oceanic Biocube29 in the fall of 2012.

To be continued .....
Old 12-31-2014, 01:58 PM

Reef Pilot is on a distinguished road

I like a good story... Please continue.
Old 12-31-2014, 02:41 PM
No Cookies

Dearth is on a distinguished road

I am interested to see your tank and the continuation of your story...
Old 12-31-2014, 03:09 PM

jhj0112 is on a distinguished road

I love stories like this please post some pictures of your tank. I'm a huge fan of RSM tank
Old 01-07-2015, 06:24 AM

Default Continued .....

It was the fall of 2012 when I signed onto Canreef for the first time.
There was (and still is) ridiculous amounts of information on the site!

I spent days and weeks reading; tank journals, tank builds; the classifieds;

Ridiculous! There are some amazing tanks you guys have!!

But reading didnt mean anything until i picked up a 29 gallon stock Biocube!
I quickly found a brand new stand for the tank, got some salt and sand, and i was ready to go!

I inherited a snowflake eel, 2 blue damsals, a starved goby, a clownfish and a brown anenome.
The live rock i inherited came with some mushrooms, a bit of xenia and some other crappy looking corals, which turned out to be majano anenomes and aiptasia.

The xenia disappeared almost immediately, goby wasnt eating and the anenome was moving all over the place!

I was glued to Canreef and google, trying to solve mini issue after mini issue.

At the same time, a cheap investment in the tank turned out to be hundreds and hundreds of extra dollars, buying supplies such as a refractometer, new bulbs, a protein skimmer etc.

The hobby was really expensive I found out quickly!

Over the first few months, and spending too much $, i was demoralized a bit, and almost quit.
Old 01-07-2015, 06:40 AM

Default Biocube pics

The picture above is after sand was poured in.

below.
My friend took me out to see a good guy out in Surrey named Tom. His two double tanks were absolutely amazing! This gave me inspiration again, to keep at it, so i can create a bit of mini Ocean inside my house. Tom hooked me up with a beautiful Gorg (corky finger), some green star polyps, and a neon green singularia.

My daughter and son also helped me stay in the hobby, as they kept asking questions, wanted to watch the fish eat, and showed interest!

Last edited by Ranchu50; 01-07-2015 at 06:45 AM.
Old 01-07-2015, 06:58 AM

Default Continued ...

over time, my interest wavered up and down. Family life and other hobbies kept creeping up. The biocube ran well and was easy to maintain.

There was spurts of time where I didnt do a water change in 2 months. Then other times where I did water changes every week.

I picked up a bi-coloured blenny, who did well for a year, but then magicAlly disappeared.
I tried two yellow clown gobies who were a pain in the ass to feed. They too died over time.

Finally on Boxing day 2013, I picked up A beautiful Royal gramma who has taught me quite a bit on how to get into the habbit of feeding frozen food.

Throughout 2014, I researched the heck out of the internet to find the most economical, efficient way in upgrading the Biocube's crappy power compact lighting.
It didnt make sense to me, that I have to replace these bulbs to keep my corals thriving, and to eliminate terrible algae blooms.

the Biocube is definitely the perfect starter tank, but it definitely is just that. Its a tank that is easy to run, maintain and keep but there is very limited options you have when it comes to fish selection, coral choice and tank upgrades.

In December of 2014, I found a great deal on a Red Sea Max 250, 65 gallon tank! It was too hard to resist!!!!!
Old 01-07-2015, 07:09 AM

Default Rsm250 pics

Old 01-07-2015, 08:56 AM
Gold Member

Tn23 is on a distinguished road

Great Journal, looking forward to seeing updates !
Old 01-07-2015, 05:30 PM

seabreeze is on a distinguished road

Nice... ?Christmas present for yourself

Your story sounds a lot like my start in fish... I attribute my interest to a tank of tropical fish my dad had when I was growing up. Loved watching those fish

When my boys were little they each had a betta in a pickle jar... over time some fancy guppies were added (cause still no extra supplies were needed)... then not soon after a complete tank... and yes some baby red eared slider turtles were added to that tank also lol... they were a pain as they grew!!!

Like you over time changed to saltwater. My first attempt was converting my tropical tank to a marine system... Lol a lot has changed since that time!

Then got a used 120g salt tank that someone built complete with an oak cabinet. Over time that too became outdated. Got myself a new RSM 250... great tank!!

Have since upgraded again... This hobby does that to you

Looking forward to seeing your tank transform ) any questions on the RSM 250 you can always pm me

From a fellow RSM owner