Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 02-19-2011, 12:07 AM
Rest In Peace

Doug has disabled reputation
Default The wonder of aquariums.

Just thought I should share this and I,m sure most of us are the same. I have been at this for 35 yrs. or so and still sit amazed at the goings on in our tanks.

Perhaps its why we keep at it.
The other night, just before I went to bed, had one last check of the tank. Lights were out so checked with a flashlight, mostly for the sump and kalk drip.

As I shone the light into the tank, I seen hundreds of baby fish swimming. The clown eggs had just and were still hatching. They have had many broods over their 10yrs. so far but I have never seen a hatch.

It was absolutely amazing. Could see their little eyes in the light as they swam around and fought the current. {I soon turned the pumps down, including the return}. Called my wife who also sat there amazed. Funny how something like that can affect you. I sat there for a hour or so just watching them.

Felt sad in a way, knowing what was in store for them. As it was my shrimp were chasing them around. And my old fool PJ cardinal looked like he was going to burst.

Not sure why, but I removed the filter sock, {lots of rubble ,etc. in sump}, and shut down the skimmer for the night, before turning return back on. Guess in some sort of way I though a few may have a chance in the overflow or sump rubble. Even fed them some frozen Cyclop-eeze but doubt they could eat it. My bangaii fry once did.

Alas, , I see none left , unless in the sump hiding. Dont know why they would make it this time. None of the others ever did. Maybe just because I seen these ones.

Anyways, it was an amazing event to me at least, so thought I would post it
Old 02-19-2011, 12:09 AM
acanthastrea freak

Skimmerking is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Skimmerking Send a message via MSN to Skimmerking

Wow that is so cool Doug, I wonder if any will make it My male bangi has babies in his mouth
Old 02-19-2011, 12:10 AM

AquaticFinatic is on a distinguished road

That's a sweet story thanks for sharing. I guess that's what we all strive for in the end to have a happy tank and some surprises on the way!

Loudest part of my system would be the nagging sound I hear on a regular basis about how much time and money I spend on the tank.
Old 02-19-2011, 01:25 AM

naesco is on a distinguished road

The sweet part of the story for me is that Doug is older than me.

Seriously, that is why I really like using sand beds and try to encourage new reefers to specifically order fresh live rock or buy live rock from a reefer that is leaving the hobby.
There are all kinds of new stuff I find in the evening scurrying around in the tank that I did not know I had.

It is sad to know the larvae clowns fate especially when you have had a chance to see them as very tiny fish; really cute little guys.

Maybe if we tried to encourage LFS not to import them it would encourage some reefers to bred them for sale.
Old 02-19-2011, 01:57 AM
Rest In Peace

Doug has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmodeus View Post
Wow that is so cool Doug, I wonder if any will make it My male bangi has babies in his mouth
Perhaps some Mike. Certainly a better chance than the clown fry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveycoopa View Post
That's a sweet story thanks for sharing. I guess that's what we all strive for in the end to have a happy tank and some surprises on the way!
Your welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naesco View Post
The sweet part of the story for me is that Doug is older than me.
To funny Wayne.

By the way, mom & dad were born in an aquarium.
Old 02-19-2011, 03:32 AM

Reefpins10 is on a distinguished road

A very touching and sad story My clown are laying their eggs every month and they have been living in my tank for 8 years ... I don't know how many baby fish have been killed in my tank after all those years ?
Thank you for sharing this story.
Old 02-19-2011, 12:32 PM

daniella3d is on a distinguished road

Recently I saw the same with with babies of peppermint shrimp. hundreds of them floating in my tank but there was only a few left in the morning and a day later nothing left. It was not because of fish because there was no fish in the aquarium, it was only because of the powerhead killing them as they went through it.
Old 02-19-2011, 02:23 PM

ALang is on a distinguished road

Thanks for sharing...What a chance to see them! I've had my clowns spawned monthly, too, but have never been fortunate enough to see the fry.
Old 02-19-2011, 03:26 PM

es355lucille is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to es355lucille
Talking

Nice to hear your story Doug. Thanks for sharing with us. We too have seen some pretty amazing events go on in our tank at night. My wife and I still spend time at night with flashlights, viewing how the tank changes at night! As your system matures.....well enough said all I can say is amazing!!

Thanks again for your experience Doug.

Brad

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=51996

Photobucket
Old 02-19-2011, 04:28 PM

Lance is on a distinguished road

That's pretty cool Doug! Kinda sad at the same time though. It's somehow harder to accept when the fish are doting parents like Clowns. Pelagic spawners, not so much.
Between the Chromis and the Fire Clowns, there is a spawn in my tank every week and I've yet to see a hatch.