Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 04-25-2010, 03:03 AM

chris88 is on a distinguished road

No problem you will like both the fixture and the bulbs, the combo is spot on, if you like a little bit more blue you couold go with 1 more super blue or new gen in place of the coral light but i prefer a natural look then the over powering blue color some people run. Ps, tehe led on the fixture are really cool.
Old 04-26-2010, 02:13 AM
Fishgirl

What combination of bulbs would you recommend for the 12 bulb fixture? its really only 6 bulbs on either side of the fixture. And what order front to back would you recommend? I love how much of a difference your lighting made. I want to have beautiful lighting and amazing coloration on my fish and corals. And I can't wait to see this fixture when I get it. Its sounds amazing just reading up on it. So Nice to see that someone else has this same fixture and has some imput about it, for that thank you very much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris88 View Post
I have been using T5HO lights for 3 years now and I have tried every major bulb company including ATI, GIESMANN, CURRENT, AQUA SCIENCE, UVL, AQUATICLIFE, and now KZ. I am not biased and I am not being paid to write this, I just wanted everyone to know how great the KZ T5HO line of bulbs really are. I have just recently purchased the following from red coral in Calgary AB.

2X KZ SUPERBLUE (POPS COLORS BETTER THEN ATI BLUE PLUS OR AQUA SCIENCE 22,000K)
2X KZ CORAL LIGHT (BRIGHT WHITE BULB WITH THE HIGHEST PAR TESTED ON ANY T5 BULB OUT THERE)
1X KZ NEW GEN (14K AMAZING STAND ALONE BLUB)
1X KZ FIJI PURPLE (BLUE RED SPECTRUM BRINGS OUT COLORS OTHER BULBS LEAVE OUT)

This combination has made my corals look better than anything I have tried before. It has made me notice colors and corals that I used to over look. It is a crisp white blue color with a noticeable pop in green, blue, and red corals. It is too soon to say how well it does for growth but I will post pictures soon so I can track progress. I have honestly used tons of various combinations of the major bulb makers that I have listed above and up into this point aqua science and ati were my favourite. Well it is very easy to say that now KZ is hands down my favourite for overall color, brightness, and the effect it has on coral color. This has been one of the all time best purchases I have made and I am completely satisfied with the bulbs and the customer service I received from red coral in Calgary AB.
Old 04-26-2010, 02:20 AM

No problem the fixture is great, well crafted and the built in timer in leds really sets it apart from other fixtures. here is what i sugesst for a light set up for you.

Option one 14,000k look with great pop in color.

Back:
KZ New gen
KZ Fiji purple
KZ Superblue
KZ Coral light
KZ Superblue
KZ New gen
Front:

Option two 17,500k look with more visible blue and even more pop

Back:
KZ New gen
KZ Fiji purple
KZ Superblue
KZ Coral light
KZ Superblue
KZ Superblue
Front:

I promise you will be happy with either set up. Most people like the blue look but i prefer the 14,000k look myself.
Old 04-26-2010, 02:27 AM

I forgot to mention, that the 2nd and 4th slot is controlled buy on a timer called blue. So that is why i have the bulbs set upt his way. So you can control a dusk dawn setting. The leds have thier own switch as well which i run only when all of the other bulbs are off during the night time.
Old 04-26-2010, 02:31 AM
Fishgirl

WOW thank you so much for such a fast responds I will let you know what i go with and how it looks thanks again for your help I really appreciate it.
Old 04-26-2010, 02:37 AM

no worries just try and take some pictures i would love to see how they turn out. what size tank do you have?
Old 04-26-2010, 03:00 AM
Fishgirl

Once up and running it will be 112gal its 72'' x 20'' x 18''.
Old 04-26-2010, 05:36 AM

Blowfish is on a distinguished road

in your previous pictures of your old bulb setup what was your bulb brands and combo?and how old were the bulbs?
Old 04-26-2010, 10:02 PM

The bulbs were 4 months old and they were:

Aqua Science
x2 22,000k
x2 17,500k
x2 15,000k

I did really like the aqua science bulbs and i had very good gowth with them.
Old 05-26-2010, 04:23 AM

freddy is on a distinguished road
Default growth

Just wondering how the growth was with the kz bulbs,have to replace mine soon so just curious,thks.