Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Freshwater > Ponds & Koi

Old 04-29-2013, 04:43 PM

andestang is on a distinguished road

If you need some help digging I could send over some eff'ing moles I have here . Think gophers are bad, at least you can see them to get them. I am worried about them damaging my pond liner.

150g reef, 55g sump, T5's, Vertech 200A, Profilux III - German made is highly over rated, should just say Gerpan made.

Reefkeeper - individual obsessed with placing disturbing amounts of electricity and seawater in close proximity for the purpose of maintaining live coral reef organisms.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:25 PM

Seriak is on a distinguished road

My pond digging experience wasn't too bad. I did give up after my shovel was bouncing back at me every time I hit the ground because the ground was so hard, but no too many rocks. Lots of clay though. I filled it in last year and have decided to go with 3 level above ground pond this year.

In this climate I would not worry about a bottom drain. It's no worth it as we usually do not go deep enough to get under the frostline. A good pond vac is great.

Algae is not much of a problem if you keep enough plants in the pond and even better if you have a marsh area to plant even more plants. The trick is to keep the soil out of the pond as this adds lots of nutrients. I used a mixture of barley straw in my filter and concentrated barley and never had any problems with algae. I also used a UV to get rid of the green water when it got really bad.

I miss my pond and hopefully my multilevel design will help keep my plants apart from the fish and apart from the turtles. One thing kept eating the others. They don't do well together I find.
Old 04-30-2013, 04:16 PM
Gold Member

FishyFishy! will become famous soon enough

I have a questions for you pond goers...

How important is the fabric underlay underneath the pond liner itself? I really don't want to buy one. lol.

They call it addiction for a reason...
Old 04-30-2013, 04:24 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyFishy! View Post

How important is the fabric underlay underneath the pond liner itself? I really don't want to buy one. lol.
That depends how smooth the dirt is going to be under your liner. I didn't use an underlay under mine either because like you, i was too cheap LOL. Instead, I made sure to get as many pointy rocks out as I could and laid down a significant layer of newspaper. I collected like 4 weeks worth of flyers from my house and my parents house. use duct tape to tape them together when you lay them down otherwise they will fly and shift all over the place! The newspaper was probably as thick as the underlay that you could buy and that cushioned the liner well. Also, I don't have any large trees with roots anywhere near my pond so I didn't have to worry about that, but if you do then you need to take those roots into consideration.

Mind you, I did look up what the underlay cost at Burnco just a few days ago and it's actually not that expensive there. for a 300sqft sheet that I would need I think it would only cost me like $60 ? That seems pretty cheap to me but honestly I think the thick layer of newspapers provided more cushioning.

With my reno I was going to do the same and lay down news papers/flyers again but this time I also have the added advantage of having my old pond liner that I will also use to lay down underneath the new liner.

Bottom line is, you should put something that you trust, in between the pond and the ground. You WILL need to walk inside the pond and you will probably lay down heavy pond plants/baskets, etc, so it's good to have that cushioning to prevent puncture.
Old 04-30-2013, 04:37 PM

Seriak is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I had a friend who was removing there old shag carpet and I took it off their hands and used it , but I agree with Kien you should have something because if you miss that one rock, the weight of the water pushing against it could cause a tear in your liner which is a lot bigger pain then buying some cheap underlayment at .25 per square foot.

Hey Kien, where did you buy that autofeeder. That is the exact one I want to buy but I was going to have it shipped as local prices were insane. Was the price similar to online vendors?
Old 04-30-2013, 04:42 PM
Gold Member

Would carpet work? I have a ton of that lying around! haaha

Old 04-30-2013, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seriak View Post
I had a friend who was removing there old shag carpet and I took it off their hands and used it , but I agree with Kien you should have something because if you miss that one rock, the weight of the water pushing against it could cause a tear in your liner which is a lot bigger pain then buying some cheap underlayment at .25 per square foot.

Hey Kien, where did you buy that autofeeder. That is the exact one I want to buy but I was going to have it shipped as local prices were insane. Was the price similar to online vendors?
I got it at Pisces up north. It was the same price as online (but without the cost of shipping). This was last year though. Not sure what the retail would be this year.

Ya, I've seen people use all sorts of stuff as underlay. Carpet, carpet underlay, thick vapour barrier. Even a combination of all of the above. Had a friend that put carpet on all the horizontal spots and newspaper on all the vertical walls. Looked funny but worked great.
Old 04-30-2013, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Would carpet work? I have a ton of that lying around! haaha
yes :-) A few years back a friend of mine and I went dumpster diving at construction sites for old carpet and underlay to use in his pond LOL.
Old 04-30-2013, 04:47 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kien View Post
Ya, I've seen people use all sorts of stuff as underlay. Carpet, carpet underlay, thick vapour barrier. Even a combination of all of the above. Had a friend that put carpet on all the horizontal spots and newspaper on all the vertical walls. Looked funny but worked great.
Thats great news. Mine is going to be about 1 foot underground, and 2 foot above ground, so a plywood form was going to be used anyways. It would be super easy to staple some carpet to it. Save me some $$$

Old 04-30-2013, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Thats great news. Mine is going to be about 1 foot underground, and 2 foot above ground, so a plywood form was going to be used anyways. It would be super easy to staple some carpet to it. Save me some $$$
That sounds like a great size ! I'm too chicken to go 36". While that would be a great depth, a) I have young kids and b) there does exist a bylaw that says 24" is the max that you're allowed unless you have a 6' fence with a gate immediately surrounding your water feature, or some such thing. I've seen quite a few ponds that ignore that bylaw though :-)