Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 07-02-2004, 11:21 PM

Azilla is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Azilla

Sorry for your loss man! i love my clown to death he is right there when i am there. so i have one false clown this means i cant get another DAMN! i was planning on gettin another this sucks

is there anyway to tell if there females to males?
Old 07-02-2004, 11:47 PM

kuatto is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to kuatto

I wouldn't say you can't add another,I think as long as you have a few safe retreats for the new clown to hide untill they get use to each other(I could be wrong.)Go pick up one of those clear plastic tank dividers,that way they could see each other and not harm each other,you can get them at most fish stores for a wide range of sizes.
One will grow bigger and change into female once they're togather.

Jim
Old 07-02-2004, 11:50 PM

johnny rock is on a distinguished road

something else is up here, one clown dead and another carpet surfed. Ive had clowns [different types] and found them to be extremely hardy. I think there might be some water issues or aggression
Old 07-03-2004, 12:38 AM

Well I guess the only thing to do is test my water.Corals are all doing well,and the other 2 fish are eating and behaving normal,so I don't know.I agree about clowns being hardy creatures,had mine for almost 3 years without any problems.I'll see what comes from the tests.

Jim
Old 07-03-2004, 12:41 AM

AJ_77 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuatto
Well I guess the only thing to do is test my water.Corals are all doing well,and the other 2 fish are eating and behaving normal,so I don't know.I agree about clowns being hardy creatures,had mine for almost 3 years without any problems.I'll see what comes from the tests.
What are the other 2 fish? You described a scene of chaos in the original post of this thread - any clues as to what went on??
Old 07-03-2004, 01:01 AM

The other fish include a small yellow tang and a lawnmower blenny,also a green brittle and asst snails/hermits.I found several coral frags had been nocked over(usually only see 1 or 2 every once in a while from the 2 bigger snails).
PH = 8.2-8.4(hard to tell exactly on the chart)
Amonia =0-0.1
Temp =just below 86(been a little high since the weather changed)

Jim
Old 07-03-2004, 01:17 AM

DOO-E is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to DOO-E Send a message via Yahoo to DOO-E

Quote:
One will grow bigger and change into female once they're togather.
I wouldnt say this. All clownfish will grow into females. Even if they are on their own. It is when there is a presence of a more dominant clowns that one will turn into a male. Then any others will reide with the pair but will remain unsexed. They can change. When the male dies one of the subordinates will turn into male. Or when the females dies the male will take her place and the subordinate will take the males place. Although most clowns will not tolerate subordinate fish. Clark's, Skunks, and False Percula Clowns Will. You will need a fairly large tank so the less dominant can hide. Flase Perculas dont need a large tank for the subordinates they are the only clown that will tolerater subordinate clowns to a certain degree. In the book Clownfish by Joyce D. Wilkerson it staits that Flase Percual Clownfish can be keep with more than 2 clowns per tank. I think it was here that said she had 4 in a tank and one of the subordinates even helped the male care for the eggs. this is sweet. Hope your kids dont give you crap for the missing clown good idea on the "hospuital thing" just dont tell them when you are going to get it b/c they will want to come. that isnt a good idea. Good Luck
Old 07-03-2004, 02:12 AM

AJ_77 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The other fish include a small yellow tang and a lawnmower blenny,also a green brittle and asst snails/hermits.I found several coral frags had been nocked over(usually only see 1 or 2 every once in a while from the 2 bigger snails).
PH = 8.2-8.4(hard to tell exactly on the chart)
Amonia =0-0.1
Temp =just below 86(been a little high since the weather changed)
What size is your Green Brittle Star? They have a reputation for being hunters - sometimes... if we could get onto reefkeeping.com they have an article on starfish this month.
Old 07-03-2004, 04:25 AM

The star is about the size of a tooney in the body,and each leg(2.5)is about 6inches long.He pretty much stays in one of the caves at one end of the tank and waits till I drop food near him.
If he is the culprit,wouldn't he have eaten the bodies?

Jim
Old 07-03-2004, 05:20 AM

Azilla is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Azilla

Hmmm My clown loves my attention so if i get another one i should keep it seprated by a wall??? Should i buy the smallest one i see like a baby?? Should i pick one thats like a loner in a tank or paired?